The Android thread

2010 Smartphone sales figures by operating system.

Symbian.....111,577
Android......67,225
RIM...........47,452
iOS...........46,598
Microsoft...12,378
Others.......11,417
Total.........296,647
2009Sales.jpg

2010Sales.jpg

Sales of Android equipped phones increased ten-fold last year and are expected to overtake Nokia's Symbian sometime this year to become the premier operating system. Symbian's market share for 2010 was 37.6%, but dropped to 32.6% in the fourth quarter.

iPhone sales grew faster than Blackberry sales in 2010 with the iPhone 4 pushing up numbers and the iOS is seriously challenging RIM for third place. Android and iOS were the only platforms to increase their market share in 2010, with all the others taking a hit to accomodate Android's explosive growth.

It'll be interesting to see the figures at the end of 2011.

Last edited:
Here comes the NDS emulator... :p

Surely the resolution of the NDS means any emulator will be a tiny square in the middle of the screen though. :cool:

The good news: I now have CyanogenMod on my Captivate.
The bad news: I made a mistake and can't mount the internal storage.
The good news: It's an easy fix via adb.
The bad news: My work computer refuses to recognize the phone, despite having Google's and Samsung's drivers installed.

Just got back from helping a neighbor of mine with his internet connection and noticed his speed was way worse than mine .16 Mbs and I could get 1.5 Mbs sitting right by it using the same Verizon service. He was using that silly Verizon MyWiFi block AP though and I have a rooted and Rommed Droid X phone. Can you get them silly bricks to go any faster? I am so ashamed that they sell them :(.

I dunno, improved(or reduced) speed rates on phones come from tweaked modem firmwares, and I think sometimes even kernel tweaks as well.

The new Qualcomm dual core really does look impressive:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdVw9uBIr5I[/youtube]

OT spam

for the android futurama fans

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/02/10/1294092402_top_zoidberd.jpg

on sale at teefury today :D

http://teefury.com/

HTC question and unless you root and find the exact files (which I have no idea where to even look for), you can't delete the preinstalled scenes, only the ones you make.

Ah thanks.

I was getting to the scenes list from pressing the menu button on the homepage and choosing "scenes". When you do that you can't delete from there.

Samsung Galaxy S II official: Coming this month

Samsung Galaxy S II official: Coming this month

galaxy-s-ii-hands-on-03-sm.jpg

One of the worst-kept secrets of MWC this year -- the Galaxy S II -- is finally official, and we'd say it definitely lives up to its name as a proper successor to the original Galaxy S that lit the Android marketplace on fire last year. Major (and largely expected) features include a 4.27-inch 800 x 480 Super AMOLED Plus display, an 8 megapixel primary camera with 1080p video capture accompanied by a 2 megapixel cam up front, Gingerbread with TouchWiz 4.0, integrated NFC support (on some versions), and a shell measuring just 8.49mm thick, making it likely the thinnest smartphone ever to roll off an assembly line -- in fact, it's over 0.2mm slimmer than the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc's thinnest point.

Source - http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/13/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-official-tegra-2-4-3-inch-super-amoled-plu/

They're using their own dual-core which could be the Exynos.

I'd want one :p

Aw, shit.....there goes my money... :(

I've decided that I am for sure waiting for HTC's next flagship Android phone.

As nice as the Samsung is, HTCs just seem to have a more active developer community and updates roll out faster.

More solid build as well. I do quite like the Atrix, and it might still be a possibility via the girlfriend's upgrade, but I don't trust Moto to not lock the bootloader.

Even if i wanted any newer HTC phones - anything after the Magic+ - or the Atrix, i'd have to either switch carriers - which is highly unlikely due to contract and the current plan i have - , or pay for the device outright. And these devices don't come cheap :|

Wish Rogers would pick up a HTC phone, highly unlikely though. Rogers is picking up this spring so far are the Acer Liquid Metal (i'll pass on that one), Xperia Arc and the highly anticipated Xperia Play.