The Android thread

It's been removed from the homescreen, as that's not a text input field, but whenever you are prompted to do so, you can bring up and hide the keyboard.

I've tried in text fields throughout my phone and got nothing? Cool trick to know though. :)

Could be something Samsung removed so they could work around their lack of search button.

Anyway, went down to the local mobile shop today. Found out I can get a Sensation for ?419 if I stay on my current plan. If I change to a more expensive one, I could get it for ?229 or even ?1, but would end up paying a lot more in the end. It would mean not having to part with ?419 at once, though...

so plz talk me out of wanting to buy galaxy tab 10.1" or eeefap.
(.fi is expensive, so .de prices would be my best option on both devices)

(.fi is expensive, so .de prices would be my best option on both devices)

While the Galaxy Tab looks a bit better, the fact that the eee transformer well...transforms is very compelling.

By this time next year there will be quad-core tablets running the new Android (Ice Cream Sandwich) all for about the same price as you would pay for a dual-core, Honeycomb tablet now. Some of them might even be out by the end of this year.

No love for the XOOM?

Expensive. I say go for one of the other transforming tablets that's much more versatile :p

(oddly I cannot find the one that comes with the keyboard dock)

Yes yes it's not for everyone but I find it much more useful than anything running Android. Then again I don't have a laptop.

Expensive. I say go for one of the other transforming tablets that's much more versatile :p

Yes yes it's not for everyone but I find it much more useful than anything running Android. Then again I don't have a laptop.

I only played with the Galaxy Tab (original 7") and XOOM, so I really have no basis for comparison.

By this time next year there will be quad-core tablets running the new Android (Ice Cream Sandwich) all for about the same price as you would pay for a dual-core, Honeycomb tablet now. Some of them might even be out by the end of this year.

Dual-core in a tablet is already ridiculous, quad-core is even more so. Especially until Honeycomb has apps out that people actually want to use.

Xoom is now US$499 both ONLINE and in Best Buy :D (im currently here in the US on vacation...so i was at best buy just yday haha)
to add to that, 3.2 just came out :)

I have the Gtab 10.1 16gb white wifi and it's AWESOME esp with the keyboard dock. I'm missing the microsd slot but that's about it. Got turned off with the build quality and color of the asus, but if functionality is what you're after, nothing can beat it :)

I have an Archos product. Their build quality is crap and the materials are cheap and tacky. It didn't even come with the standard Google apps like the Android Market on it. I had to find them on the net and install them myself.

For $100-$200 less than the Xoom/Tab/Transformer, the construction won't be as good, but I figure if he wants to be talked out of spending $500 on a tablet, a cheaper version with the same/faster hardware and software (the new Archos ones will have the standard apps like Market this time) would be a good way to do that. :)

ah good, options for the tab's!
The thing is that i was looking them now and buying them around ringmeet-time and collect them right before i go back to school @ september.

So best thing would be to see dealextreme and use 150eur for tab with androidmarket.

I have an Archos product. Their build quality is crap and the materials are cheap and tacky. It didn't even come with the standard Google apps like the Android Market on it. I had to find them on the net and install them myself.

For $100-$200 less than the Xoom/Tab/Transformer, the construction won't be as good, but I figure if he wants to be talked out of spending $500 on a tablet, a cheaper version with the same/faster hardware and software (the new Archos ones will have the standard apps like Market this time) would be a good way to do that. :)

Will it have a capacitive screen with multi-touch? Because my Archos doesn't. It did come with one of those little holes you stick a paperclip into to reset frozen devices though, which is good, because with an Archos you really need it. It froze several times during the initial setup. It did get better once I downloaded a software upgrade though.

I'm actually pretty happy with my Archos, but that is only because I bought it as nothing more than a cheap portable video player. It serves the purpose I had in mind for it. But if I had wanted to use it to play games, browse the net or anything else more complicated than playing a video, I would have been very disappointed.

Last edited:
Will it have a capacitive screen with multi-touch? Because my Archos doesn't. It did come with one of those little holes you stick a paperclip into to reset frozen devices though, which is good, because with an Archos you really need it. It froze several times during the initial setup. It did get better once I downloaded a software upgrade though.

The AnandTech article implied a capacitive screen, but I can't find an explicit mention of it there or on Archos's website, so best to wait for a review, methinks.