The Android thread

I downloaded the free version of Juice defender today in an attempt to preserve some battery life. It said it had turned off all radios to conserve power (icon with red dot) but widi and data still worked even though they were supposed to be off. Since it didnt seem that it was actually do anything, i turned it off. I tired that trick of resetting the network type but my phones still charging so i'll see if that helps battery life at all tomorrow.

I may be expecting too much out of the battery but i've come from a non-smartphone where the battery easily lasted 3-4 days with moderate txting and few calls. I just don't like the idea of having to charge it every night. I've had too many batteries lose their ability to hold a charge so i try to charge my stuff as little as possible.

Last edited:
I downloaded the free version of Juice defender today in an attempt to preserve some battery life. It said it had turned off all radios to conserve power (icon with red dot) but widi and data still worked even though they were supposed to be off. Since it didnt seem that it was actually do anything, i turned it off. I tired that trick of resetting the network type but my phones still charging so i'll see if that helps battery life at all tomorrow.

I may be expecting too much out of the battery but i've come from a non-smartphone where the battery easily lasted 3-4 days with moderate txting and few calls. I just don't like the idea of having to charge it every night. I've had too many batteries lose their ability to hold a charge so i try to charge my stuff as little as possible.

The free version is a bit cryptic as to when it turns off things. On my droid it was set to turn wifi off when screen was off....kinda pointless imo since my phone seemingly does that by default.

As for your battery life expectations, yeah...you'll have to adjust them a bit. Getting 4 days of solid use out of a smartphone on a single charge is pretty much impossible these days.

I wouldn't worry about the battery losing much ability to hold a charge.

I'd just like to say that google navigation is not bad at all.

I'd just like to say that google navigation is not bad at all.

Indeed, It's covered my ass so many times, that I'll probably get a car windshield mount/dock with my next phone purchase.

Right... taking my tablet to the service shop... Hopefully it can be fixed while I'm there. :|

Changed my radio... Worst idea ever, awful battery life. My mobile connection is slow.
If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

Speaking of which:
when changing radios, can you flash JUST the radio, or do you need a full reflash?

I went from Simply Honey 4.0 to stock 2.3.4 and the bugs vanished!
TW4.5 is pretty good, actually.

Oh, mine's not stock. It's one of the last TeamWhiskey builds before they jumped ship to the G2X.

The Sixaxis working on most Android devices. :cool:

I haven't tried it yet. Snes9x works with it too.

I got to play with Incredible HD or 2 or w/e its called these days. Really liked it, definitely much faster than the original and a very nice screen. All in all thumbs up :)

I got to play with Incredible HD or 2 or w/e its called these days. Really liked it, definitely much faster than the original and a very nice screen. All in all thumbs up :)

Incredible S (GSM) / Incredible 2 (Verizon CDMA)

Have had my IS for 3 months so far however when it was running Froyo, it always seemed to crash and reboot randomly. All was solved after the Gingerbread update and running smoothly without any crashes!

Just to provide a counter-point, I noticed no issues updating my radio. No improvement either. Really no difference at all.

Question for you guys. One of my cousins is looking for a smartphone. Its going to be her first smartphone (Shes moving from a Nokia 6300) She stated her needs as "Good Camera and WiFi" and she gave me list that she found interesting.

Samsung Galaxy Mini
Samsung Galaxy Ace
Sony Ericsson Xperia mini
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Yes I removed the Nokia from the list as soon as I saw it. Now if it was me I would have gone for the Ace due to its screen size. And when she said Wifi I assume that she meant web browsing so I guess she would also benefit from the larger screen. She didn't say anything about wanting a small phone so those Minis might have been a coincidence.

Are there any other better phones that might suit her better? And I think her budget is under ?200.