The Funny Maths Thread.. which sometimes contains mildly amusing pictures

That's odd that both the Germanic and Romantic languages use the Latin word, but English, part of the Germanic family, uses pineapple.

The English is more accurate, Ananas is the genus in which the Pineapple species reside.

The English is more accurate, Ananas is the genus in which the Pineapple species reside.

According to my Latin-to-English dictionary, "ananas" only means pineapple. Scientific terms use older Latin and Greek words and names.

Abacaxi.

There.

Wow! It seems even Wheeler Dealers' very own Mike Brewer has heard of IceBone!

Juan crashed into the truck that drys off nascar tracks. It blew up.

i missed it too, but since I live in the (somewhat) South, it was all I heard about today. Daytona 500, they use jet fuel-powered helicopter engines attached to pickup trucks to blow trash off the track and to dry it. One of the race cars lost control in one of the turns (during a yellow flag lap I presume) and hit the truck. Amazing fireball commenced.

I didn't understand why they didn't power the turbines with something safe like diesel until I realized we were talking about NASCAR, so then it made sense.

Last edited:
i missed it too, but since I live in the (somewhat) South, it was all I heard about today. Daytona 500, they use jet fuel-powered helicopter engines attached to pickup trucks to blow trash off the track and to dry it. One of the race cars lost control in one of the turns (during a yellow flag lap I presume) and hit the truck. Amazing fireball commenced.

I didn't understand why they didn't power the turbines with something safe like diesel until I realized we were talking about NASCAR, so then it made sense.

Psst, Jet A and diesel #1 are very, very close cousins. So close you can just pour Jet A into most US diesel vehicles and run it with little to no mechanical concerns if you add a lubricity additive.

Bottom line - they could have filled it with diesel and it still would have exploded in fire. :p Most jet fuel is about as flammable as diesel. In fact, you can't light a puddle of Jet A on the ground on fire with a match, you'd have to wait for it to start evaporating and then try to light the vapor-air mix - just like diesel. Jet A just isn't that volatile at room temperatures and normal atmospheric pressures.

Guess those NASCAR guys actually did know what they were doing, huh? :p (And no, I'm not a fan of the Left-Turn-Larries.)

Last edited:
^ :clap:

Last edited:
Never knew that.