The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Is it just me, or is pretty much everything on a motorcycle held on with just 2 bolts.

I'm looking for some sort of protection that I can wear under my everyday jacket when I ride, but I haven't got the faintest idea on where to start searching. Blind (and other experienced riders), got any ideas?

http://www.newenough.com/street/armor/elbow_shoulder_knee_worn_on_the_body

However, I personally wouldn't bother with that and get a jacket with internal protectors, since I could very well see myself getting annoyed, always having to strap on those guards whenever I want to go anywhere, and just leaving them off... :|

You might also run into problems with getting that stuff to fit under your jacket.

Last edited:
I'm looking for some sort of protection that I can wear under my everyday jacket when I ride, but I haven't got the faintest idea on where to start searching. Blind (and other experienced riders), got any ideas?

Back protector is a wise buy. I always have one underneath my jacket. The strap on ones are better than the jacket insert ones.

+1 on the back protector. I've been using the Dainese Wave 1 protector (even though it's one-crash only due to its hard shell, but it does have the honeycomb weave for maximum impact resistance). Besides that, I usually wear some sort of underarmor. Blind wears the Dainese one piece undersuit... which generally just makes it easier to slip into the suit/jacket & pants. :lol:

Does your everyday jacket have armor?

Does your everyday jacket have armor?

No, it's a pretty sweet jacket I got from Zara a few months ago. I'm considering picking up either a regular motorcycle jacket or just the back protector for when it gets hot, I ride to school, etc.

Also, who wants to go with me to California and pick up THREE YAMAHA SECA TURBOS? It'll be just like Easy Rider, if Fonda and Hopper were both replaced by Data from The Goonies. :wicked:

It depends what you want to wear and your use. If you are doing lots of cold weather riding then you will need to go for maximum insulation, if you are doing hot weather riding then you want something that breathes well and wicks sweat away.

I know many riders who swear by Under Armor brand products, I can't speak to that because I've never used it myself.

This is what I wear under my leathers when I ride: http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbike/racing-seamsuit.html?gender=2&destinazione_uso=45&cat=31

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/03/11/1915826_606_F_S_1.png

I have found it to be very comfortable, far more so than any other combination of under layers I have tried.

In terms of wearing armor, I have only ever tried wearing armor on my knees and it was really uncomfortable. All my gear has integrated armor and I believe that it is the safest way to go.

Last edited:
No, it's a pretty sweet jacket I got from Zara a few months ago. I'm considering picking up either a regular motorcycle jacket or just the back protector for when it gets hot, I ride to school, etc.

What about shoulder and elbow protectors?

All my gear has integrated armor and I believe that it is the safest way to go.

Agreed. Keep in mind that protective clothing is not just about the impact protection, but also abrasion resistance. Even if you wear separate protectors, your normal clothing most likely won't do you much good in that regard.

Last edited:

Also, who wants to go with me to California and pick up THREE YAMAHA SECA TURBOS? It'll be just like Easy Rider, if Fonda and Hopper were both replaced by Data from The Goonies. :wicked:

If you are worried about hot weather then get an A* jacket with good venting. I have two Alpinestars jackets that are great for hot weather, one leather, one textile. I prefer the leather for the protection and it breathes even better than the textile. My jacket has a 2.5" wide strip of perforation down the front of each sleeve that goes across the chest. There's an exhaust vent on the back to take the hot air away. The jacket also pulls air down your back from a vent on the collar. It has the abrasion protection of leather with integrated armor and it keeps me plenty cool in hot weather.

There are also some good hot weather vented pants to look into, but I don't have any now that I have my hand-me-down hot weather one-piece and my perforated leather track suit.

Damn, I was trying to see whether any retailers still carried the TX-1 line for men. It looks like only the stellas (A*'s line for women) are left... I picked up one of those last summer, and man, did it vent.

For the stellas, there were zippered vents along the arms and on the back... so when you're crouching over with the arms bent, the vents open into huge scoops to let the air in. I prefer it in the 100 degree heat than my textiles (which incidentally become my cold weather gear).

Granted, I'm sure they have newer jackets out that are on closeout with even better ventilation and protection considering A* introduced the TX-1 a few years ago (~06 or 07).

Last edited:
It must not be all that safe if he keeps his gear on even to assemble/disassemble the thing...

looks very easy though, the bike lifts which lift the bike on the swing arm suck! (like the one below) i know several guys who had their bike tip over in the process of lifting it...

swingarmstand.jpg

Last edited:
Went to see the surgeon today. While there i thought i'd take some pictures of my xrays from my crash. These are only elbow ones, no pelivs or wrist. I have a pelvis one, but you can see the man >.> , and though i'm not ashamed of the man, i ain't posting the man on FG :lol:

Elbow Before 1

Elbow Before 2

Anddd after!

Last edited:
Genius!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiOTxRtsJnY[/YOUTUBE]

I don't have a motorcycle ATM and I want.

Went to see the surgeon today. While there i thought i'd take some pictures of my xrays from my crash. These are only elbow ones, no pelivs or wrist. I have a pelvis one, but you can see the man >.> , and though i'm not ashamed of the man, i ain't posting the man on FG :lol:

Elbow Before 1

Elbow Before 2

Anddd after!

Ouch, Don't try this anywhere!

BTW use paint to block out the man bites and show the full damage. It may help sombody think twice before they leap.

You need a warning on those. Nasty.
I've never broken a bone so I have no idea of the pain, but it doesn't look like it tickles.
Hurts like hell, sure :lol:. Every time I've broken something the worst part has been feeling sick (nauseous) and not being able to either throw up or get over it.

What happened anyway, Jon? I haven't kept up with this thread.