The Gun thread

Hopefully, the BM will be an Interarms import, as those were rebuilt by Star prior to Interarms importing them. The others were mostly as-is military and police trade-ins for later pistols that were not rebuilt, refinished or reconditioned in any way. You are aware that parts availability for the BM is not very good and getting worse, right?

You've gotten the collecting bug - I'll observe a moment of silence for your poor wallet.

Meanwhile, I'm in a happy spot with what I currently own. Got two pistols I'm trying to turn into a .45/10mm HD and woods gun but that's about it. Also need to find a CQB carbine course - I'm accurate out to 100 yards and beyond but my handling skills are rather lacking.

Last edited:
Spectre;n3544933 said:
Hopefully, the BM will be an Interarms import, as those were rebuilt by Star prior to Interarms importing them. The others were mostly as-is military and police trade-ins for later pistols that were not rebuilt, refinished or reconditioned in any way. You are aware that parts availability for the BM is not very good and getting worse, right?

There are arsenal refinished available and I chose a "hand pick" option which should get me one of those. I do know about the lack of parts since there were not that many made and even less imported, but, they do seem to be relatively reliable overall with only the magazine catch and ejector spring being common issues that I could find from some previous owners. :) It won't be my EDC so I'm not too worried about it and the price was right as well. So if it breaks and I cannot find parts for it then it'll make a nice display piece until I can. :D Glass half full mate!

LeVeL;n3544935 said:
You've gotten the collecting bug - I'll observe a moment of silence for your poor wallet.

Yes, a moment of silence indeed.

Thankfully I'm selling a bunch of my video game collection which is funding some to most of this hobby. :) That any my quarterly bonuses at work and any up-sell commission I do at work as well.

Meanwhile, I'm in a happy spot with what I currently own. Got two pistols I'm trying to turn into a .45/10mm HD and woods gun but that's about it. Also need to find a CQB carbine course - I'm accurate out to 100 yards and beyond but my handling skills are rather lacking.

I have to admit, the appeal of a 10mm is strong but I'd have to get one in a 1911-esque style since I do not like Glocks. That having been said, I'm still keen on finding a 1913 or 1913 M1911 similar to my father-in-law's...it'll just be a while since prices are just insanity.

My happy spot is a bit far off. Want about another half dozen or so semi-auto pistols, a few revolvers (SA and DA), an AR, an AK, and of course those mil surp rifles from late 19th century / WWI / WWII such as a Mosin and Mauser. When we relocate to the country in a few years or so I'll have land to shoot on so I will never be bored with all of these. *edit* Hell, I'm probably going to start a youtube channel for it.

Last edited:
LeVeL;n3544938 said:
Meanwhile, I don't like shooting 1911s (but definitely want a WWI/WWII one some day) and I do like Glocks. It also helps that a .45 or 10mm Glock is easy to convert between the two calibers.

To each their own I suppose. ;) I know a Glock is a quality piece, I just don't like shooting it or most other polymer handguns. I learned my fundamentals and safety practices on my father-in-law's M1911 mfg. 1913. His uncle was issued and eventually used in the war so I suppose I'm not only spoiled but this also explains my preference / proficiency for it. :D I hope to have that left to me one day, everyone in the family knows how much I adore that thing.

A bump stock is not a gun. It is an accessory that essentially makes a semi automatic rifle fire multiple rounds with each trigger pull. Like it or not, those will be getting banned at the federal level too, it is just a matter of time.

By the way, I own many firearms, I am not anti gun at all.

GRtak;n3545070 said:
A bump stock is not a gun. It is an accessory that essentially makes a semi automatic rifle fire multiple rounds with each trigger pull. Like it or not, those will be getting banned at the federal level too, it is just a matter of time.

Um, fundamental misunderstanding of what a bump stock does on display immediately above. A bump stock does NOT make a semi fire multiple rounds with each trigger pull; if it did, even the ATF would never have approved one. What it *does* do is lessen the time between each trigger pull to the point where while you are indeed still technically only firing one round per trigger pull, you are making those trigger pulls so fast that you're approaching or equaling fully automatic rates of fire.

Let's remember that it was under a Republican ATF that the bump stock was first approved by a junior examiner - then hastily *banned* within days once a senior examiner got a look at the thing and realized what exactly what it did. All the ones that had been sold were tracked down and either voluntarily surrendered or seized by the ATF. It was many years later under Obama's ATF that it was approved and left for wide distribution because it was pitched to them as "an assistive device for the disabled". They couldn't approve it fast enough and they were too fucking stupid to realize why it had been banned before or what the thing actually did.

Aside from gun control issues, a concerning issue here for everyone (or it *should* concern everyone) is the fact that the government (in this case, the MA state government) is making formerly legal items illegal and then running around seizing them without paying them for their legal-when-purchased items. Especially when these are the same people organizing "gun buy backs" where they cheerfully hand out piles of money and criminal amnesty for 'illegal' guns. Something about a Fifth Amendment?

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

I would submit that the government is happy to buy ('back' is disingenuous at best as the government never owned them in the first place) illegal, often stolen guns without questions from people who often are prohibited from possessing firearms, but they can't be bothered to pay for something they're seizing that was legitimately and legally bought?

I would also remind everyone that you have admitted using illegal pharmaceuticals and that this disqualifies you from legal firearms ownership in all 50 states under Federal law. Form 4473, question 11e:

e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside

So, you don't legally own any firearms, right? Because if you actually owned firearms, that would be illegal. My mom had to surrender her firearms when she was getting medical marijuana for cancer - nobody should be excused from the law.

Last edited:
I think you need to check yourself on what you are accusing me of doing. I am not currently, nor have I consumed any cannabis in some time. Then there is the fact that the law is based on complete BS, and as a former consumer of cannabis, you know it is a dumb ass law.

The private property is not being confiscated for public use, it is being made illegal.

Yes, I over simplified how it works. It does not matter who, or when the bump stock was approved. It was a dumb thing to do, and it never should have happened.

GRtak;n3545074 said:
The private property is not being confiscated for public use, it is being made illegal.

Yes, I over simplified how it works. It does not matter who, or when the bump stock was approved. It was a dumb thing to do, and it never should have happened.
If you are forced to turn over items to the government without compensation and without an option to sell them, how is that not confiscation?

GRtak;n3545070 said:

Did you know that with practice you can do this without a "bump fire" stock? The stock just makes it easier. So is the government going to confiscate your extremities too? Because you can do it without a physical firearm accessory using just your extremities. I find it ludicrous that these idiots in the government are banning and confiscating a tool rather than focusing on the people who actually do the shooting. The part that chaps my hide the most is that they are doing this without compensation to the owner of said devices. I'll just consider that a tax since effectively the owner of these devices are paying the penalty monies of what the compensation would of been back to the government.

I'm not jumping on you specifically, just addressing the issue as a whole.

LeVeL;n3545075 said:
If you are forced to turn over items to the government without compensation and without an option to sell them, how is that not confiscation?

Exactly.

----------------------

On another note my two pistols should be shipped out today. :D

Last edited:
GRtak;n3545070 said:

Uh, no it isn't. The trigger is being pulled for each round, a slide-fire or bump-fire stock is an accessory that makes a particular shooting technique easier. Light single-stage triggers would also do the same thing, I have a 1# pull trigger in my AR-15 and I can bump fire it without the assistance of a special stock. All a slide-fire or bump-fire stock does is allows you to position your trigger finger so that the trigger is pulled again when the meat of your shoulder pushes the rifle forward from the recoil of the previous shot. It does not make a rifle function as a machine gun, which already has a legal definition. If it did, then slide-fire stocks would have been illegal from the jump.

A semi-automatic rifle requires a discrete action to discharge, such as pulling the trigger. The trigger in this case is being pulled each time the rifle discharges - end of story. This is the way the law is written at the federal level, states don't get to make their own definitions for things. They can make additional restrictions, but trying to classify a slide-fire type stock as a "machine gun" carries no water and will be shot down the moment it gets to court.

Slide-fire stocks can be pretty easily replaced, what about my Digital Trigger? I spent about $600 getting this installed and it required machining my lower. Installing my trigger was perfectly legal and I have no criminal activity on my record, so who is going to buy back my perfectly legal trigger and replace my lower receiver and pay for a smith to rebuild my rifle? Because I can put in a very nice light single stage trigger, go to the range and still bumpfire all day long.

GRtak;n3545074 said:

Yes, but this is a case where the government has a history of confiscating illegal items and compensating the confiscatee with money (crime guns in 'buy backs') but suddenly has decided not to do that for a new item. They also decided to not allow the traditional recourses of selling or moving the item out of the jurisdiction to one where it is legal, which is actually something new in recent times. When Prohibition was passed, people were allowed to either consume, destroy or *ship out of the country* such stores of alcohol as they may have had.

From your support of this, I presume you also support the related gremlin of "civil asset forfeiture" because it's a very close cousin - taking without compensation.

LeVeL;n3544935 said:
Also need to find a CQB carbine course - I'm accurate out to 100 yards and beyond but my handling skills are rather lacking.

If you're up to traveling to Utah again, a local favorite is Deliberate Dynamics. They recently split their gunfighter/CQB course up into intermediate (pistols only - May 2018) and advanced (pistol/carbine - September 2018). A friend completed their last course a while back, and he learned a lot despite having a ton of experience already. It sounds like the instructors tailor their course to the students, and the class usually includes clearing a factory and quarry, shooting from a vehicle, CQBing in a bus, and practicing night time drills. Their insta can give some more info too.

Besides prepping for my Frontsight course that Blind got a while back, I've been eyeing the Deliberate Dynamics courses and the Magpul Core options. I haven't heard in person feedback from the Magpul courses though.

Thanks for the info; not sure if I'm coming out to Utah any time soon. A good facility here in the Northeast closed in the fall unfortunately (King33) so I'm left with Sig Sauer Academy (a class will cost me around a thousand dollars though) or several qualified individual trainers.

RdKetchup;n3542948 said:
In other news, still waiting for my BCL-102 (that was supposed to be shipped in the first half of October), and since I'm a compulsive buyer, I just ordered something else.

And it's here :D

Plain brown wrapping, the postman didn't ask any questions :lol:

jeMQj6z.jpg

Familiar logo

Rt5s7wX.jpg

:dance:

TNbdLKM.jpg

With the other acquisitions from the past 6 months:

osGYuCU.jpg

Very nice. I've had one of those on my list for a while now.

Can't wait to shoot it.

I did the MP5 slap after locking the bolt open to check that the chamber was empty, it feels so satisfying :lol:

RdKetchup;n3545231 said:
And it's here :D

Plain brown wrapping, the postman didn't ask any questions :lol:

jeMQj6z.jpg

Familiar logo

Rt5s7wX.jpg

:dance:

TNbdLKM.jpg

With the other acquisitions from the past 6 months:

osGYuCU.jpg

Very nice!

I picked up these today. They were both in very good condition with the Star being almost immaculate.