The "New Toys" Thread

Got a Dell Latitude E6540 laptop from work.

-i7 4800MQ @ 2.7Ghz
-15.6" 1920x1080 screen
-8 GB Ram
-Radeon 8790M
-500GB Solid State Hybrid Drive
-256GB SSD(received separately)
-9cell battery

Quite nice, but heavy.

a) That's why offline playlists
b) HUs these days can't play through USB from a phone?
c) Helps you keep your phone charged :p, and you can set it up to autoplay when you plug in a USB, 3.5mm jack or BT device. Easy. (On Android, iOS requires jailbreak.)
C is very true but for some reason my hu gets confused when I have the phone plugged in since it registers once as usb device and once as bt streaming device. Solution is simple : use a 12v to usb convertor and get power from there. Also leaves your usb empty so you can use a nano drive at the same time

i currently have the 50GB limit perc had, its gloriously over the one i would currently need :D
glorious i say!

-i7 4800MQ @ 2.7Ghz
-15.6" 1920x1080 screen
-8 GB Ram
-Radeon 8790M
-9cell battery

Quite nice, but heavy.

Nice! I've been a latitude fan for years. Still running a D630 with no issues and (briefly) owned a E6420 which I miss. Solid products all round.

I wouldn't mind a new one...or a new thinkpad.

A pair of these to replace the failed Klipsch
71c1NJb4LlL._SL1500_.jpg

I do realize I must be one of few to have BT audio in the car but no USB support. :p

Some of us are still using a cable. :p

My data is fair-use capped at 1GB, which is why I went for the OneX+ with it's 64GB storage. I currently have about 12GB free on it, the rest is made up of photos, music and podcasts.

-i7 4800MQ @ 2.7Ghz
-15.6" 1920x1080 screen
-8 GB Ram
-Radeon 8790M
-9cell battery

Quite nice, but heavy.

If I got that machines, the following steps would be taken (mostly because I already have the needed parts):

1. Upgrade to 16 or even 32GiB of RAM... for VMs...
2. Replace 500GB SSHD with 480GB SSD D:

In all seriousness though, that's pretty much perfectly specced for almost everyone and people who have a dedicated workstation (mm dual-CPU with 128+GiB of RAM... :3).. I'm just in that particular niche I care :/

On a more serious note, which wifi card did you get? If it's not the intel 7260AC, that would be the one bit I'd spend my own money upgrading regardless of any IT policies that may exist.

I'm one as well but mainly because I didn't wanna deal with routing cables when I was installing my adaptor.

In my case Bluetooth came with the car, but whoever specced it didn't specify USB. Apparently, you could choose between USB or a normal 3.5mm line-in, and I have the latter. I've never used it, but it's there.

If I got that machines, the following steps would be taken (mostly because I already have the needed parts):

1. Upgrade to 16 or even 32GiB of RAM... for VMs...
2. Replace 500GB SSHD with 480GB SSD D:

In all seriousness though, that's pretty much perfectly specced for almost everyone and people who have a dedicated workstation (mm dual-CPU with 128+GiB of RAM... :3).. I'm just in that particular niche I care :/

On a more serious note, which wifi card did you get? If it's not the intel 7260AC, that would be the one bit I'd spend my own money upgrading regardless of any IT policies that may exist.

It has the Intel 6300-N. I don't know if in my case upgrading to 7260AC would worth the trouble, because lack of AC networks at home/work and I also prefer to use a wired connection.
The SSD I received it's a Samsung 840Pro 256GB.

Some first impressions on the laptop:
-it gets hotter than my personal Asus laptop with an IvyBridge i7. The reported CPU temps don't seem higher than on my laptop, but the laptop case gets hotter.
-it feels solidly built, but quite heavy
-the keyboard keys are backlit, but look like they are made from a cheap plastic.
-1920x1080 is a bit much for a 15" screen

-1920x1080 is a bit much for a 15" screen

Does it at least let you crank the resolution down without distorting the image?

My 15.6" laptop tops out at 1366x768, which personally is perfect for a screen that size (granted, my vision is a little questionable).

My 13.3 laptop is 1080p.

my 2007 samsung laptop is 1280x800@15"... which is it's biggest problem! apart from that, the other specs are perfectly fine with me (thanks to an ssd, i admit).

Picked up some geek tools the other day:

Velleman VTLAN5 ethernet cable tester. Basically, you turn it on and it sends power over the leads one at a time and lights up a corresponding LED. The other end has the same setup of LEDs. If they light up in the same order, you know everything is OK. It cost about 12 euros, I think. I'm not going to buy a 500 euro Fluke just for my own hobbies.

And a cheap RJ45 crimp tool.

Picked up some geek tools the other day:

Velleman VTLAN5 ethernet cable tester. Basically, you turn it on and it sends power over the leads one at a time and lights up a corresponding LED. The other end has the same setup of LEDs. If they light up in the same order, you know everything is OK. It cost about 12 euros, I think. I'm not going to buy a 500 euro Fluke just for my own hobbies.

And a cheap RJ45 crimp tool.

Those do come in handy

IMO default text size in Win7 on a 1080p 15" screen is too small, reading gets tiresome - I have good eyesight. If you scale things up, afterwards Win7 looks like crap(and defeats the purpose of the 1080p res). My previously laptop had a 1440x900 screen, which was a more comforable resolution for a 15" screen. For pictures, movies and games, I agree...the 1080p is better.

Last edited: