The Post Your Pets Thread

My two new kitties :D Due to get them end of June

Gorgeous. :D

Good luck telling them apart.

Thanks! Once they're grown a bit it'll be easier as Finisterre (top) is cinnamon-silver, and Mistral (bottom) is chocolate-silver, and the colourings become more distinct as they're older. Plus, Fin is a boy and Misty is a girl, so that'll help :D

Here's my derpy dog!

10152886_10152383922718653_2053718762_n.jpg

Thats the expression she shows when you pet her. :)

IMG_20140504_192937.jpg

Heidi, looks all serious business.

I might have something to contribute in a couple of weeks, since I plan on getting two cats (not kittens, I don't have time and patience for educating them).
I like dogs and cats, but I'm not an avid walker so I wouldn't enjoy going for a walk with a dog but it would be more like an obligation. Additionally I'm at work for at least 9 hours a day, sometimes longer, I don't have regular daily routines in a way I could provide a dog regular schedules for walking, and I'm single, hence two cats so they don't starve of boredom. Mind you, I live in a flat on 6th floor with a balcony so they would be purely in-house cats with the possiblity of going to the balcony after I secure it with some fencing to keep them falling to their certain death.

That would be my first pets in 25 years, I had bunnies when I was 5 or so, but since then we only had dogs which were mainly my sister's dogs. I know you need certain basic equipment (transport box, bowls, litter box, cat litter, scratching post, toys etc.), I would ask the staff at the animal shelter what they recommend for the cats I'd get. The cats will most likely have preferences in food, entertainment etc. so it would be pointless buying something before you decide which cats you bring home. Yes, I know cats cost money for food, veterinary etc., and they have to be cared for when I'm on vacation, but that's no problem. :)

I already read numerous articles in the 'net, but one question is still unanswered for me: I wondered whether you should be at home for a longer time than a weekend after you brought the cats home. My thoughts were that maybe you need at least a week to really see whether the cats settle in properly and whether they really match you.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Cats are pretty low maintenance. They are very independent. If you are getting two grown cats that don't already know each other, then introducing them properly can be tricky and might take longer than a weekend. But if you are getting two from the same place that are used to each other, it is just a matter of them settling into your apartment.

Careful with the balcony plan. They could easily leap right over fencing and fall. If you are going to let them out, you might need to consider fully enclosing the balcony.

Oh BTW, the usual rule for litter boxes is 1 per cat, plus 1.

Last edited:
If you can get siblings less than a year old they should still be playful and fun but reasonably well behaved.

And if you have the option females make better indoor cats. Less likely to roam/leap of the balcony/spray on your latest conquest's favourite shoes.

Though if you expect two females to live together, they absolutely must be desexed. Otherwise one will escape and run away when it gets the chance.

You should get them neutered anyways, no matter what gender/combination. Reduces health risks, not to mention it prevents pregnancies. There are enough kitties in the world without a home, no need to create extras when it's such a simple procedure.

Cats are pretty low maintenance. They are very independent. If you are getting two grown cats that don't already know each other, then introducing them properly can be tricky and might take longer than a weekend. But if you are getting two from the same place that are used to each other, it is just a matter of them settling into your apartment.
Yeah, I was thinking about getting two from the same place, the nearest animal shelter places cats predominantly in pairs.

Careful with the balcony plan. They could easily leap right over fencing and fall. If you are going to let them out, you might need to consider fully enclosing the balcony.
That's what I planned, I know cats can leap big time. :)

Oh BTW, the usual rule for litter boxes is 1 per cat, plus 1.
Yup, already read that.

If you can get siblings less than a year old they should still be playful and fun but reasonably well behaved.
Well, you can't always choose. ;) I'll see what's available, if they suit me and so on, the age doesn't matter so much to me.

Though if you expect two females to live together, they absolutely must be desexed. Otherwise one will escape and run away when it gets the chance.
I think all cats currently placed by animal shelters should be desexed anyway.

Agree with all the advice about neutering. As far as time off, agree with Stiggie - I took a few days off each time I got a newbie, but that's just 'cos I'm a softie :p In all cases they were fine by the end of the first day - and that was introducing a new one into a houseful of others. Get some feliway - it really calms my loonies down when they seem a bit stressed.

I've had girls and boys, and all are indoor cats. My current boy is the most homey of the lot - has no interest in going out at all. And two of my girls have been squirters, even though they're done. Also, while all my cats are friendly, it's the boy who's the real cuddler. So, pot luck really :lol:

In other news, here are my two newbies. I'm holding Finisterre (Fin) and Dave's holding Mistral (Misty).

10257362_10152455865563628_7471768316089836839_o.jpg

10172850_10152455865278628_657890587912229152_n.jpg