The Space Thread!

Eight..... THOUSAND?

Yeah, NASA does that quite often. There's similarly sized photos of other planets too.

I have a book of those. Restored by an independent photographer who was given access to the original negatives. I've been meaning to do reproductions for years, but it would be a several week long project and I might have to destroy the book in the process. :(

The last original Voyager engineer is retiring. Some really interesting insights in this article.

This one also seems to be a good read, but I haven't got to it yet.

The new world is tiny, much smaller than our own moon.

It's a dwarf planet, not nearly large enough to qualify as a proper planet. There are also quite a few comets with their orbits going farther out than 103 AU (the distance V774104 is currently observed at), as well as Sedna and quite a few other objects ("There are 589 known objects that have aphelion more than 103 AU from the Sun." (c) Wikipedia).

A comet with a stable orbit? Interesting possibility.

I know that Pluto was "Planet X", or was at least discovered after it was theorized that another planet existed.

I watched this month's episode of The Sky At Night - Second Earth? - BBC iPlayer.

Appearing briefly on the program was Prof. Didier Queloz of Cambridge University, the scientist credited with jointly finding the first Exoplanet in 1995.

He said that, given the data so far, it now appears that every star has one planet on average. (Not Earth-like planets, of course but things like gas giants, etc.)

This is interesting news.

:smile:

Very nice.

Am I thee only one that sees things going badly at some point?

Awesome stuff!
SpaceX upped the ante by delivering 11 satellites while the first stage of their Falcon 9 rocket returned to earth and landed upright (start at 23:00min, landing approach begins at around 32:00min):

Last edited: