Unveiled: Three-wheel $6,800 car gears for 2015 US launch

Three-wheel $6,800 car gears for 2015 US launch

If they want it classified as a car, they're idiots. That means that they would be giving up a very large advantage in many areas - motorcycles can use the HOV/carpool lane with just the operator aboard, no passenger required. Cars cannot.

The way I see it, there are a number of factors going into how they classify it. On the one hand, motorcycles are probably cheaper and easier to insure and register. On the other hand, don't you need a Class M license to ride them? And wouldn't that restriction apply to these too? If someone doesn't have a motorcycle license, are they really going to go through the trouble of going to the RMV, doing the paperwork and taking the test for a vehicles type that isn't even really like the vehicle they are intending to own?

In Quebec, the law was changed for the three wheelers so that now you don't need a motorcycle licence to drive them, even though they are considered motorcycles.

To do that, they created a new class (6e), with lower requirements.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver_licence/classes/class_6e.php

Previously, you needed a regular motorcycle licence (class 6a (any motorcycles), 6b (<=400cc), or 6c (<=125cc)).

Last edited:
I don't get the market demographic for this thing...

I'd rather buy a small, second hand car for the same money. Then I could carry passengers, and luggage and probably get a higher level of interior quality. The inside of that thing looks like it came out of a base spec car from 10 years ago and those A-pillars look to be entirely in the way of everything!

I dig small cars, but this seems kind of pointless.

These guys keep promising 80mpg. That will appeal to a lot of people who want an ultra-cheap commuter car when it is pretty much just them.

I personally think this thing will never make it into production. They are promising too much and their price seems unlrealistic.

The Yugo was $3,999 and had to come across an ocean. Now you get less and it will cost more.

You forgot to adjust for inflation. A $4,000 car in 1985 would be $8526.41 in 2013. So it's about on-par but you get far more equipment than a Yugo. The $6,800 base price still gives you about $2,000 to play with in options before hitting the same inflation-adjusted price as the Yugo.

Seems like a bargain considering you get airbags, a functioning safety cage, air conditioning, modern brakes, and can still throw some bluetooth connectivity at it along with a couple other options.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. I hope this will come out eventually. If they offer it with a more powerful engine around 120hp I would consider it.

I don't get the market demographic for this thing...

I'd rather buy a small, second hand car for the same money. Then I could carry passengers, and luggage and probably get a higher level of interior quality. The inside of that thing looks like it came out of a base spec car from 10 years ago and those A-pillars look to be entirely in the way of everything!

I dig small cars, but this seems kind of pointless.

As someone who recently purchased a second hand car for admittedly far less money, and is now tasked with finding and fixing all the broken shit that the GDPO hid, there's something to be said about the security of a warranty on a brand new car, particularly for most buyers in the under 10k price bracket.

It's why "$9999" last gen Versa 1.6's and Accent Blue's sold like hotcakes, and its why the current Versa is the best selling subcompact in the states: You get a new car with a new car warranty for a low price. The shopper who's torn between used and new will check out one of these ultra cheap subcompacts and go "Sure it's got practically nothing inside at that price, but dammit if something breaks, the dealer will likely fix it and I can definitely get to work the next day/Monday even if its in a courtesy car."

You definitely dont get that going used on Craigslist...

Wait... what?

Hold on, I think I'm going mad.

Did... did rickhamilton just say something about buying cars that made sense? :p

Wait... what?

Hold on, I think I'm going mad.

Did... did rickhamilton just say something about buying cars that made sense? :p

:lol: Even I manage to hit the nail on the head at least occasionally. :p

That is unfortunate. I rather liked the idea of this little thing, especially for the price.

My bet is that they will end up getting sued in a class action, be bought out by another company (maybe a venture capitalist) and either sold off in parts or have a very different design be released for significantly more money - probably one that uses off-the shelf components from other vehicles.

I know...this is a total threadnecro thing to do but whatever....

SaabKyle04 drives one of the Elio prototypes and interviews Paul Elio:

Elio is now offering reservations on it's IPO: https://www.startengine.com/startup/elio-motors

Interesting...that page has Takata as one of it's suppliers. :hmm:

I dislike saabkyle. I really, really dislike saabkyle. Honk the horn and play with the stereo again, motherfucker.

He's a used car dealer, what do you expect?

I want to see a picture of you with the hat you will eat. :D :p

But seriously... :D