To All American and British People...

To All American and British People...

• Total voters
I don?t really get where there is a use for you to know if it?s 99 or 100F ... that?s 37.2C to 37.5C ... that?s half a Degree Celsius ... you wont even notice the difference (I wouldn?t - and yes, I?ve been in places that hot quite often) so how does 1 degree F or half a degree C matter for your everyday life? It?s still weather for shorts and T-shirt, not your tuxedo ...
One could argue that it?s a crucial difference for your everyday life around the freezing point ... but saying 1?C to 0?C doesn?t differentiate enough compared to 32?F to 33.8?F strikes me as a bit odd too because temperatures might easily drop a few Degrees in a short space of time in that time of the year anyway ...

I was actually going to get to the freezing issue as well. 0 vice 1C isn't critical... but rounding up to 3C from 2-and-a fraction as opposed to saying 35 or 36F is. Can you tell me why? :D

Last edited:
I was actually going to get to the freezing issue as well. 0 vice 1C isn't critical... but rounding up to 3C from 2-and-a fraction as opposed to saying 35 or 36F is. Can you tell me why? :D
... why would you round stuff up or down rather than give correct numbers with a decimal place :blink: it?s not like 35.5F (or whatever, haven?t looked that up now) is not understandable, is it? My office is now 21.8C ... I don?t see the problem or the necessity to go "it?s 22C" when the (digital) measurement allows me to see the correct degree.

... why would you round stuff up or down rather than give correct numbers with a decimal place :blink: it?s not like 35.5F (or whatever, haven?t looked that up now) is not understandable, is it? My office is now 21.8C ... I don?t see the problem or the necessity to go "it?s 22C" when the (digital) measurement allows me to see the correct degree.

My point is that when presented with a number trailed by a decimal point, most people will leave off the decimal. And, in fact, a lot of thermometers I've seen don't have a place for the decimal point either.

Come again? ;)
...in the words of the virgin Mary :lol:

Anyways, you guys have drifted onto something that I find really annoying. The two different temperature systems.
While I don't really have a preference for metric or imperial, for temperature there is only one system which is logical to me. Celsius! You have two focal points - 0C and 100C, where water freezes and boils respectively. It simply makes sense! It's like the speedometer of a car - it starts from 0. Weight - no matter what system you use, you still start from 0.
But with temperature - noooo, you have to start at 32F...WTF?

(By the way, I was raised at the beach so for me anything under 0C/32F is damn cold!

Miles per hour please. And it doesn't bother me that I have to make conversions to roughly work out how far the glug of petrol will take me based on an mpg figure. I'll refuse to buy LHD too, I like my radio on my left where I can tune it without taking my dominant hand off the wheel (in the Land Rover it's important that you keep a good hold of the wheel).

Also I don't like L/100km. I don't want to know how much fuel I'm using per 100km, I want to know how many kms I'll go on my 1 litre before I have to call the RAC or bottle it and fill up.

Yeah, I don't understand the stupid L/100km jibberish. What? 9? Ok... that's nice... whatever that means...

It's too late for the states at this point. There's far too many braindead dumbasses.

Sounds like the problem isn't with us Americans who have a general idea how Metric measurements are, it's with foreigners who come here and have no idea what all this Imperial stuff means.
When I look at some other posts in here, doesn't seem like that's exactly the case. :p

I mean, when I consider 100, I think thats fast because its a triple digit number, and thus big. Whereas 100kph is..... 62ish, not even the highway speedlimit.
193 KPH almost means nothing.
120 MPH on the other hand gives a sence of speed.
Yeah, I don't understand the stupid L/100km jibberish. What? 9? Ok... that's nice... whatever that means...
"Ah dun like id cus id mean nuthin' to mee!"* :lol:

*Applies to people of both sides obviously :p

Last edited:
...in the words of the virgin Mary :lol:

Anyways, you guys have drifted onto something that I find really annoying. The two different temperature systems.
While I don't really have a preference for metric or imperial, for temperature there is only one system which is logical to me. Celsius! You have two focal points - 0C and 100C, where water freezes and boils respectively. It simply makes sense! It's like the speedometer of a car - it starts from 0. Weight - no matter what system you use, you still start from 0.
But with temperature - noooo, you have to start at 32F...WTF?

(By the way, I was raised at the beach so for me anything under 0C/32F is damn cold!

Celsius doesn't start at 0, Kelvin and Rankine do.

If we switched, then we wouldn't have the excuse when traveling to foreign countries of saying, "hey, I thought that '100' meant miles!" when we get caught speeding. :p

My grandmother often travels to Canada. Several years ago the car she had at the time had a digital speedo with a button to switch between the two systems. One time she forgot to push the button and was driving around at 100mph. Her also-old friends were frightened.

Celsius doesn't start at 0, Kelvin and Rankine do.

You know what I meant - the temperature at which pure water freezes is considered a focal point and often referred to as the start.
Technically the absolute zero is at -273C, but that is of no importance to everyday life.

IMO, imperial units need to be taken out back and shot then incinerated. It is an absolutely nonsensical arbitrary system of units while the metric system has the great idea of being based off 10. Simple and sweet.

I don't have anything against MPH, but I want America to ditch imperial units for metric, so that would involve going to KPH.

No.

The metric system is a better measurement system and it makes more sense, but honestly it doesn't really matter. A speed is a speed -- doesn't matter the units as it's just a measurement, one that you don't have to convert to anything. Not to mention the trillion bazillion dollars to switch. Imagine the cost of replacing every single speed sign in your country, and then multiply that by 26, if not more.

Dont give Obama any more ideas on ways to waste money for meaningless temp jobs

I will NOT switch to kW and Nm.

I think intolerance and simply not wanting to change are the biggest hurdles. This has been tried a couple of times in my life and it gets killed by those peeps.

Though It is funny how the metric system has seeped into the car culture and most have adapted and still resist any further change.

I believe the UK government (don't know if it was under Major or that spiv Blair) looked at the idea of metricating the speed and distance measurements several years ago, but realised when the Irish did it that it would be ridiculously expensive. So they dropped the idea, although interestingly there are kilometre-posts on the motorways now.
I'm fairly ambivalent about it. MPH feels more natural to me, but I use a mix of mostly metric for other things, whatever would suit the situation.
I simply cannot understand the Fahrenheit system, however. It is (to me) completely arbitrary, whereas the Centigrade (and Kelvin, by extension) scales are naturally derived.

Can't speak for pple on the contenent, former British colonies and the rest of the world but I am sure most British and Americans would agree with me.

193 KPH almost means nothing.
120 MPH on the other hand gives a sence of speed.

try 200 KPH :)

changing mph to kmh would be very expensive, painful and unecessary for these countries...

here we use km/l instead of l/100km, and we use PSI for tyre pressure, and I don't see why change this.