Toyota Confirms MR2 Successor To Sit Next To GT86 & Supra

But I think the Mustang convertible has one problem.

Driving an MX-5 might look "gay", but driving a Mustang convertible looks 1000 times as "gay" ...

- - - Updated - - -

It sort of is now, only real trouble is it took Ford ages to bring them to Europe. Only now in 2017 the point has come where you can actually see some on the road, whereas this was promised in 2015 but it took them way to long to bring EU models to the dealership...

Motoring enthusiasts: "We'd love a new MR2!"

Toyota: "Here's your hybrid!"

Motoring enthusiasts: "..."

Toyota: "See? This is why we don't make cars that are 'fun'. Nobody buys them."

i think the main problem with this is that nobody made an affordable hybrid car where the hybrid system is used for torquefill or lagcompensation
they all add it (and program it) to make the car more economical.

add hybrid to increase performance, and it will be a hoot! (granted it doesn't double the weight of the car)

Driving an MX-5 might look "gay", but driving a Mustang convertible looks 1000 times as "gay" ...

I've never heard anyone say that ever about any of the post SN95 convertibles. Mustang II convertibles, sure. Any of the other ones, no.

It sort of is now, only real trouble is it took Ford ages to bring them to Europe. Only now in 2017 the point has come where you can actually see some on the road, whereas this was promised in 2015 but it took them way to long to bring EU models to the dealership...

thomas has told me that the dealer he spoke to at the time they announced it was coming said that it would be a very long wait, but they had plenty to sell just a couple months later. Perhaps it's a regional thing for you? I mean, I hardly ever see an Aztek on the road here but from what rick tells us, Pennsylvania is absolutely infested with them - regional differences.. :p

I'm hoping they go more SW20 than MR-S (dunno chassis code), and have a turbo and n/a version.

ZZW30, and I'd definitely prefer more ZZW30 than SW20. If Toyota makes good on the new MR2 being a small, simple car (i.e. non-hybrid version available), I'm selling my Leon and getting one.

Last edited:
Our values in Europe are screwed up?

I thought this was about a new Toyota

It's a continent where people are so at ease with their sexuality/self that a pink scooter won't immediately pull the rug from underneath them...

The Ford Mustang would like a word. You even get two extra parcel shelves masquerading as rear seats for free!
s550-mustang-convertible-video.jpg

You forgot the affordable part. A new mustang starts at 86k usd with the 2.3 ecoboost engine here. :p

Our values in Europe are screwed up?

I thought this was about a new Toyota

Nah, this is now a thread about certain Texan's opinions that are being presented as the universal Truth. As is, basically, any thread he responds to. Welcome to FG :p

Yep, worldwide market & affordable. These do not go together with the Mustang.
You can buy them worldwide, and they are affordable in USA, but try combining those two things.

In Finland the cheapest Mustang (4 cylinder ego boost) is "only" 55ke, one with a V8 starts at 80ke.
You can get a MX-5 for under 35ke... Not really the same thing is it?

P.S. Not really having anything to do with the original topic, but some more Toyota sportscars would be awesome!

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

All convertibles are gay by default, but people who want to buy convertibles generally don't care... It is also very easy to drownout the gay jokes with lots of V8 noise ;)

All convertibles are gay by default, but people who want to buy convertibles generally don't care... It is also very easy to drownout the gay jokes with lots of V8 noise ;)

as long as you keep the top closed, a hard top convertible is acceptable :p

ZZW30, and I'd definitely prefer more ZZW30 than SW20. If Toyota makes good on the new MR2 being a small, simple car (i.e. non-hybrid version available), I'm selling my Leon and getting one.

They couldn't sell it, not realistically. The biggest complains I hear about SW20 is that it was too "GT", in the current market that's and advantage.

- - - Updated - - -

You forgot the affordable part. A new mustang starts at 86k usd with the 2.3 ecoboost engine here. :p
Yep, worldwide market & affordable. These do not go together with the Mustang.
You can buy them worldwide, and they are affordable in USA, but try combining those two things.

In Finland the cheapest Mustang (4 cylinder ego boost) is "only" 55ke, one with a V8 starts at 80ke.
You can get a MX-5 for under 35ke... Not really the same thing is it?

P.S. Not really having anything to do with the original topic, but some more Toyota sportscars would be awesome!

Well outside of countries with silly horsepower surcharges :p

I'll just go sit in the corner and think about all those cars not for sale here.

That sounds like a Norway problem. The Toyota GT86 starts at $56k USD over there, not something I would call affordable either. But its not really fair to compare directly like that, is it, as there are different average salaries, costs of living, taxes, etc. Still, somethings telling me that even after equalization, that GT86 is still on the high side so perhaps Norway is not the best market to compare these things in.

Last edited:
The GT86 here is a car that just exists in the Toyota portfolio, as it costs roughly 50k USD. The Subaru equivalent is thousands cheaper, so some sell. In my opinion both the Toyobaru and the ND should be 25k euro cars, so they would actually be seen in traffic; the Hyundai Coupe was priced like that and it was relatively popular.

Nah, they're high school chick cars. A guy at work will sometimes ask when home coming is when I drive into work with it.