What Are You Reading?

That was fantastic. Loved that read.

Until I mentioned it at work and got lumped doing the disaster/continuity planning for the department.

That was fantastic. Loved that read.

Until I mentioned it at work and got lumped doing the disaster/continuity planning for the department.

Yeah I'm really into books like this so it's no surprise that I'm hooked into it. Sucks that your doing disaster planning because of it haha. :p

61joBugcgxL._SS500_.jpg

Great Book so far, they've left out Robert Leckies story (Since that can be read in Robert Leckie's 'With My Helmet as my pillow') and they've expanded the overall story with the actions of 2 other soldiers from the pacific war. Ensign Vernon "Mike" Micheel, a US Navy Dive Bomber and Lieutenant Austin Shofner who was a POW in Manila after the unsuccessful attempt to hold the Philippines. It also expands upon the story of Sid Phillips who is a member of a Mortar team who also appears in the tv show.
Really enjoying reading Micheel's story at the moment, especially about his actions during the Battle of Midway and the mind-frame of Dive Bombers.

[OT]
^
It's not that I don't like the planning side of it, it's just that I don't have the proper time to put into it. I really love the problem solving side of things. Like - If the building we work in gets caught in an exclusion zone (a likely scenario), how do we, as an organisation, deliver our services and keep operational?, If our clients get caught in a disaster (fire, flood etc), how are we going to account for them, have we got Next of Kin info for them etc (not to mention it'll also have an impact on staff too)? How about if the gas supply gets cut off to town (it's happened twice where we've had to look at rationing), if it's in winter, how do we help the vulnerable people heat/eat if they are gas reliant?, how do we know who they are? What happens if someone manages to sabotage (intentionally or unintentionally) our business system? How long can we survive? what is reliant on it? If the data gets destroyed, can we reconstruct it and how would we do that? It's a full time project in itself.

Unfortunately, there are about eleventy hundred of these sort of critical projects I'm doing, and never have enough time for any of them (two more weeks until the new business system goes live - :|)

[/OT]

Richard Morgan - Altered Carbon

And I just finished the last 3 Bangkok Books by John Burdett...

Stuff I got on stack: Confessions of a Master Jewel Thief and The wrong man

I'm finishing off Pride and Prejudice at night (I've had a long couple of weeks, too tired to read too much of it :p

Then I'm reading this during the day:

What-they-Teach-You-275x415.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished reading Eine Wendegeschichte, a short story by Uwe Timm. Honestly, it's the first piece of German literature that I've had to read that I actually enjoyed and found humorous. The political, social and economic aspects as well as the whole premise of the story, assumptions about other cultures, etc. was well done and made it a very entertaining read.

I don't have a picture of a cover, but here's Uwe Timm:
l1030691-timm-2-15.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.**/img215/1485/4160e5xsqtlss500.jpg

I can't speak for non Christians, but this is actually a pretty good book. If a bit of a door stopper

BadScienceBook.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Science_(book)

I can?t read that much of it at a time because it?s really making me mad (when it?s not making me laugh). It?s a very important and well written book that I think everybody should read ... but what?s in it, drives me up the wall most of the time.
one (very infuriating) chapter free online -> http://badscience.net/files/The-Doctor-Will-Sue-You-Now.pdf (420kb, 18 page pdf)

Excellent book. It opened my eyes to some stuff that I totally took for granted and I'm not a scientific moron. Really makes you think about the media.

I'm reading The Hidden Oasis by Paul Sussman. I think it's supposed to be a sort of Dan Brown style look at Egyptology. You've got the beautiful scientist and the evil corporation trying to stop a secret getting out by killing people very dead indeed. It's okay so far but I tend to guess the ending of these things quite early. We'll see how this one fairs.

J
Now reading...

Backlash_Front.jpg

I can read everything Stars Wars up until the YV invasion. Somehow the whole idea just turned me off.

Right now I am plowing through Tattooine Ghost (actually it is not that bad, the Squibs are funny) but I cannot wait to move onto the Thrawn Trilogy.

^^^ I read the first book in the YV war when it came out then didn't really read any star wars novels set after that time period till 2007 or so. At that point I read the first book set after the YV war and realized I didn't know what was going on at all. I broke down and read the whole YV war series and it wasn't too bad but clearly the weakest of the star wars novels.

I agree the Thrawn Trilogy is awesome. If they were ever going to make moves set after Return of the Jedi that series would be the one to use. Either that or Zahn's Hand of Thrawn Duology. Actually anything by Zahn is pretty awesome.

After hearing the author on On Point one night,

51krd4fAFzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

boxed_set.jpg

This. Started the first tome. And also slowly going through Terry Pratchett's Discworld:

first-22-discworld-books.jpg

I don't have all 22 from the above picture, just the first 9 so far, but that's about to change soon.

IMG
This. Started the first tome. And also slowly going through Terry Pratchett's Discworld:

IMG

I don't have all 22 from the above picture, just the first 9 so far, but that's about to change soon.

good stuff!
i only have 20 or so as well, still need to read a few myself :)
any preferences already? i like the watch novels and those with "modern influences" most (truth, post, money).
also, before jumping into all that, check out the reading order guide (not strictly necessary, but it's nicer that way i think): http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-1-5.pdf
[sadly it's not perfectly up to date, but still...] :thumbsup:

I'm nearly finished this. Just starting Part 6.
Stephen%20King%20-%20The%20Green%20Mile.jpg

After that, I'm going to sink my teeth into this:
derren.jpg