Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

^I try to never rev over 4k RPM in my M54 powered E46 until the engine is fully warmed.

But I'm sure that any car still on the road would be fine. Who says you can't do a CarFax or have the VIN checked by a dealer to make sure everything's been fixed?

This isn't exactly an automotive thought, but it is random... it just occurred to me that your name should probably be "Das Stig", shouldn't it?

Does that mean that this will be a bigger problem in America than in Germany (I remember reading somewhere that the Gasoline in America is of lower quality, but I may just be misremembering something)

Well, I wouldn't class it as a gas quality problem per se. It's more of an issue with where we're getting our petroleum from and how it is refined. The US and UK draw on primarily high-sulfur-content sources and that's a bit of a pain in the ass to get out of the fuels completely. Since sulfur is a lubricant (of sorts) it wasn't considered that important to remove. Unfortunately, the sulfur had a chemical reaction with the Nikasil and we all know what happened next.

Continental Europe and Asia draw from lower sulfur petroleum sources and therefore won't (and didn't) have the problem to any marked extent.

So that means there's no worry about a German Market XJ8 spontaneously exploding? Good to know.

Well, not so much of a worry of a Nikasil failure, no. On the other hand, you still have the timing chain issues to deal with. I would still go with one that has a replaced or later engine just for peace of mind, IMHO.

Last edited:
This isn't exactly an automotive thought, but it is random... it just occurred to me that your name should probably be "Das Stig", shouldn't it?

Yeah, I thought that would make more sense, but I didn't want to suffer the same nickname fate as "Tranny Dan."

:lol:

Back on topic, I've found a W126 300SD for $800. Might check it out this weekend.

1. It's slower than a Chevy Astro Van with a camper conversion running on 3 cylinders with a clogged fuel line.

2. There's some kid at my ultra-conservative school that has an orange one festooned with the most idiotically-over-the-top liberal stickers known to man.

3. It's the original hairdresser's car.

4. Unless it has a 993 Turbo motor in it, it's rubbish.

I rest my case. :p

5. They have... interesting... tendencies to spontaneously burst into flame and burn down.

1. It's slower than a Chevy Astro Van with a camper conversion running on 3 cylinders with a clogged fuel line.

2. There's some kid at my ultra-conservative school that has an orange one festooned with the most idiotically-over-the-top liberal stickers known to man.

3. It's the original hairdresser's car.

4. Unless it has a 993 Turbo motor in it, it's rubbish.

I rest my case. :p

1. I wouldn't buy the car for speed.

2. I just noticed where you live... I have family down in Normangee (which you may not even know of :lol:)

3. Meh, that doesn't stop the bunch of Miata freaks we have.

4. A motor swap sounds fun.

You're not very good at this.

To me, the VW badge at the front is enough reason not to buy it, but I reckon it could be turned into a pretty interesting car.

5. They have... interesting... tendencies to spontaneously burst into flame and burn down.

So does my Grand Prix.

6. You are pretty much screwed if you get a dent on the front.

This, I know of, oddly because I really have no other knowledge of the car other than the fact that the front ends are the thing you do not want to have in anything other than very good condition.

Now, I haven't called to ask the price yet, though I'm pretty sure it'd be more than I'd care to spend. The problem would be if I called and they said "Oh, $1000 and it's yours." I got a good look at it, and there's really no body damage or rust, the interior is in fantastic shape, and there were no visible problems with it other than the taillights saying they're from a 69 model but the car being a 71. If I got the car it'd be just to have and drive occasionally for fun. In 20 years I'm going to be one of those strange people with a small house and huge barn sized garage filled with obscure cars.

1. I wouldn't buy the car for speed.

2. I just noticed where you live... I have family down in Normangee (which you may not even know of :lol:)

3. Meh, that doesn't stop the bunch of Miata freaks we have.

4. A motor swap sounds fun.

You're not very good at this.

*sigh* Fine. :p

You ignored the whole catching on fire thing though.

Honestly, unless the motor/trans is shot or it's incredibly cheap, I'd say it wouldn't be a good candidate for a swap. Granted, if you bought it anyway and swapped the 993 Turbo powertrain, 'caged it and stripped it out and put it on 16" Fuchs alloys, you would receive my undying respect.

By the way, never been to Normangee, but some of my friends live in Madisonville.

As long as:
1) It's not going to be your daily driver
2) You have the money
3) You don't mind a project car taking over your life / being ignored
I see no reason not to. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

If you get it, I'll gladly take the Mustang off your hands, as a service that I'm more than willing to offer. :D

Please tell me the myriad of reasons this would be a bad idea:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2009/08/18/ghia.jpg

Looks like a good candidate for a Subaru EJ swap.

NO! I want the mustang! :mad:

Too bad. I already called dibs on it. :tease:

The race is on! I expect the both of you to emulate "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" in this pursuit.

Oh and to make it even more attractive I hear it has a sexy starter solenoid.

Last edited:
@Nabster - Get the Ghia!

I've seen people restore them in Denver. Very cool. I envy them.

-I remember one had loads of Bondo on the front... lol.