Alfa Romeo's reentry to the USA delayed...

My statement applies to the FIA GT and ALMS series races.

Your turn, then. Prove your point by listing Ferrari's FIA GT/ALMS victories.

Not really when they have been working in my favor. You just need to admit that the Italians have dominated every motorsport at one point or another several times over and will continue to do so. The Italian manufactures have an insane amount of credible racing history. The fact that you discount that is absolutely absurd.

Every one of the big auto nations has dominated every motorsport at some time or other. Britain, Germany, Italy, USA; Japan's working on it.

I'm not ignoring their racing history, I am placing it in the proper perspective AND noting that it's not actually superior to that of others. In fact, if you look, I think you'll find that the German racing heritage is a lot longer and a lot more winning than anyone else's - including the US or Britain.

So, no, Italy is not supreme in motorsport.

The boys at www.corral.net will tell you otherwise.

I duck in over there from time to time, mostly because my father gave his friend his old 98 GT Convertible - and BOY does stuff break on that thing. Guy tells my father, father asks me, I go look for a solution to the problem. Find lots of problem listings on Corral, that's for sure.

Its a stick axle nonetheless. A similar company (Maximum Motorsports) offers a kit for <$2000. Also considering you can find a Mustang for around $3500 + the MM Road & Track kit for $4500 and you have yourself one very capable Mustang. Unfortunately you'd have to spend about the much to keep a Jag running.

Funny, I spent all of $400 to keep my Jags running last year - and all of that was oil and filter changes plus other regular maintenance. It costs less to run my Series III than my neighbor's 04 Chevy Impala or my other neighbor's Ford Diesel truck on a per annum basis.

I know about the MM kit. I also know that while it's good, it's still not as good as the Cobra's IRS unless the only thing you're doing is drag racing. Check with merp on this forum - he's got the 03 Cobra that I'm *very* familiar with, considering I helped him install the MM bushing kits, the bigger oil cooler, the larger reservoir, the entire exhaust system... and in the last three years, his car's been back to the dealer more than any of my Jags broke. :p

dammit stop it with the English cars.

regardless of how many GT or F1 races either brand has won, to me any italian car > any British car. Yes even if it's less reliable. And i'm guessing its the same for other people

regardless of how many GT or F1 races either brand has won, to me any italian car > any British car. Yes even if it's less reliable. And i'm guessing its the same for other people

Agreed. It's a matter of personal choice and preference. It doesn't matter which car is better, for most it'll always come down to which car they love. And I love Italians cars more than British cars. It doesn't matter to me which is the more iconic sport cars or which is the more popular car, I love a car because it appeals to me, not because I'm following the trend or a historical partiality of which came first.

If Alfa does re-enter the US market, I think it'll only have an 'average' sales success. There will be the niche group of buyers as well as the legitimate buyers who will choose to buy the Alfa, but a large proportion of the demographics will stick with the more 'safer' choices like Ford etc.

The problem with modern Alfas is that they weight too much and have lost part of the sporty character of their predecessors.

And the lesson we've learn today kids, is that Italian fanboys should keep their mouths shut. ;)

NooDle said:

Thats pretty much what it comes down to and I agree. I think one could argue that Germany makes the best cars when analyzed from various aspects but, it doesn't have the same flavor as my beloved Italians.

Gman333-X-ferrari said:
If Alfa does re-enter the US market, I think it'll only have an 'average' sales success. There will be the niche group of buyers as well as the legitimate buyers who will choose to buy the Alfa, but a large proportion of the demographics will stick with the more 'safer' choices like Ford etc.

Agreed. I don't think their re-entry will be a failure, nor will I think that it will be a grand success. But, I do think they can move more cars off the lot then Saab. :p

IceBone said:
Am I the only one who thinks the E Type is not that pretty?

I think its a nice looking car but certainly isn't the most pretty. I don't even think it makes it into my top 10 list...

And the lesson we've learn today kids, is that Italian fanboys should keep their mouths shut. ;)

sorry I don't learn lessons from the internetz...

Damn spectre sure laid the smack down in this thread. :rofl:

Heh, I also love his ability of including the word "Jaguar" in each and every one of his arguments! :D

Looks like a suprised shoe

:lol:

sorry I don't learn lessons from the internetz...

We noticed.

You really need to realise that the Italians are frequently outdone in all areas, apart from generating lots of monies from TV presenters who use 'soul' and 'passion'.

We know Ferrari is doing well in motor racing, but I think that's more down to the drivers than the cars.

And you need to learn that Alfas rule.

And you need to learn that Alfas rule.

As proven by 11x03, Alfas rule...

...the junkyard and the service bay! :lol::mrgreen::rolleyes:

vlcsnap-6634325.png

Alfas are ambitious but rubbish, which explains why the TG3 love them. :p

Heh, I also love his ability of including the word "Jaguar" in each and every one of his arguments! :D

Thanks; you have to "go with what you know" - and I do know Jaguars quite well. :D

Last edited:
thirded. it's not ugly, but goddammit stop with calling it the "best looking car ever" just because some italian dude said so :p

Yes, although the Commendatore was a great man, he was famous for his very strong views and opinions which sometimes were, and I'd hate to say this, wrong. In fact, check out my sig.

We know Ferrari is doing well in motor racing, but I think that's more down to the drivers than the cars.

Bullshit. Not to take anything away from Raikkonen and Massa but, the Ferrari has been the car with the real pace all season in Formula 1. Not only was it faster, it was also generally the easier car to drive, and was more forgiving on it's tyres than other cars. The only thing that let it down were the retirements (due to driver error and stupid things like Hamilton crashing into the back of Raikkonen in Canada).

Your observations should apply to McLaren, where Hamilton's doing all the work whereas, the car is just second-rate.

Yes, although the Commendatore was a great man, he was famous for his very strong views and opinions which sometimes were, and I'd hate to say this, wrong. In fact, check out my sig.

Regarding the quote in your sig - Ferrari is technically correct, especially when you confront the old American aphorism of "If you put a big enough engine on it, you can make anything fly." Engine *can* overcome aero.

Case in point:
vought_corsair_lg.jpg

Last edited:
^ yeah but that's just the "let's pummel the laws of physics into submission" approach... which works, it just takes a helluvalot of power, while you can also have the laws of physics help you by working with aero bits.

MOAR POWAHHHH is a bit of a crude solution to the aero problem if you ask me