What's your latest [non-technology] purchase?

They're reasonably affordable on ebay.

A small, 3kg toning ball
1201011.jpg

and a set of 1kg weights for running
weights-neoprene-dumbbells-triple-set-including-1kg-2kg-3kg.jpg

Now I just have to find the motivation to start using my treadmill again.

Also currently downloading the podcasts to start the Couch to 5k running program.

Fantastic!

Lucky....the one and only time I saw them was in 1985; my brother took me to the "Somewhere On Tour" concert. I can still remember just how loud it was.

Well, my head's been blown off. Best concert of my life. I went as an Iron Maiden fan and left as a Dream Theater fan (they were great) and a life-long Iron Maiden fan. I'll see them again and again.

A shot of the ticket:
019a1e83.jpg

Concert shirt:
687e00c5.jpg

509334fc.jpg

Wow... Never seen them alive, though it's something I'd like to do in the near future!

Dream Theater have soooo much talent too, though I was never particularly attracted by their music. No denying there are some epic "bits", intros, solos, etc, but none of their songs has captured me.

Sounds like you had a great time though! :D

I know it was a "single" and quite "pop" compared to some of their stuff, but I always liked "Burn in my soul"

I've seen Dream Theater twice now, and they were both just awesome shows.

I've always imagine their song-writing sessions to go something like:
"Hey, Mike. What time signature haven't we used in a while?"
"I don't know, John. Maybe 13/16?"
"Perfect. We'll throw one measure of 13/16 in there for no apparent reason at all."
"Yeah...it's fun to watch people try to head-bang to changes in the time signatures."

:p

Last edited:
Fantastic!

Wow... Never seen them alive, though it's something I'd like to do in the near future!

Dream Theater have soooo much talent too, though I was never particularly attracted by their music. No denying there are some epic "bits", intros, solos, etc, but none of their songs has captured me.

It was the same with me too, they're very talented, but I've just never gotten into them until last night, really. I only knew one song, but I had a good time.

I know it was a "single" and quite "pop" compared to some of their stuff, but I always liked "Burn in my soul"

I've seen Dream Theater twice now, and they were both just awesome shows.

I've always imagine their song-writing sessions to go something like:
"Hey, Mike. What time signature haven't we used in a while?"
"I don't know, John. Maybe 13/16?"
"Perfect. We'll throw one measure of 13/16 in there for no apparent reason at all."
"Yeah...it's fun to watch people try to head-bang to changes in the time signatures."

:p

Yeah, :lol: this concert had a lot of "older" folk (35+) so there was minimal headbanging. Their drummer is awesome and seems like a funny guy, bassist is amazing and guitarist is incredible. The singing is the only weak link as he's hit or miss (so I've heard), but he was in top form when I saw him.

The singing is the only weak link as he's hit or miss (so I've heard), but he was in top form when I saw him.

I agree. Which is why I'll sometimes break out the Liquid Tension Experiment albums. :p Same drummer and guitarist, but with the bass player from King Crimson/Peter Gabriel.

Here's Mike Portnoy, their drummer (and I think rock music's best drummer), playing along to a LTE song:

Here's the whole band playing it live:
[video=youtube;STMsuz24-ds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STMsuz24-ds&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/06/12/B002CNV2PU.jpg

On lovely vinyl, and:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/06/12/1262729153.jpg

on lovelier SACD.

Last edited:
1 can seafoam
1 can silicone spray
1 tube red chassis grease
1 quart shell rotella-T 15-40w motor oil
1 roll scott shop towels

1 egg salad sandwich on croissant, 1 turkey sandwich on a french roll & 1 20oz cherry pepsi.

and a set of 1kg weights for running

Now I just have to find the motivation to start using my treadmill again.

Also currently downloading the podcasts to start the Couch to 5k running program.

Just don't watch any LOL comedies while you are running. I know of two peeps that have fallen flat on thier faces when they started laughing and lost the pace. :lol:

It was the same with me too, they're very talented, but I've just never gotten into them until last night, really. I only knew one song, but I had a good time.

Yeah, :lol: this concert had a lot of "older" folk (35+) so there was minimal headbanging. Their drummer is awesome and seems like a funny guy, bassist is amazing and guitarist is incredible. The singing is the only weak link as he's hit or miss (so I've heard), but he was in top form when I saw him.

:wheelchair:
Ain't no headbagin cause we can't hear what thier screaming about. Damn whiper-snappers and thier rock and roll noise anyway.

:tease:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/06/12/B002CNV2PU.jpg

On lovely vinyl, and:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2010/06/12/1262729153.jpg

on lovelier SACD.

Is SACD better than vinyl?

Well, I'm quite sure the La Roux album was digitally mastered, so in this case the SACD will be better sound wise.

Depends on the authoring. If the SACD master fell prey to the loudness wars, then no, but if it was recorded from the same master as the vinyl, the theoretical maximum quality is higher. Provided you have the audio equipment to take advantage of that quality.

sku_10243_1.jpg

I went to their concert in Adelaide at the end of last year and thought it was rubbish. They played songs mainly from Black Clouds and Silver Linings, but those songs dont really lend themselves to a live show. Just a lot of progressive wankery that dragged on and on.

When I saw Iron Maiden in Sydney a couple of years ago, they were superb! Best show I've ever seen.

I went to their concert in Adelaide at the end of last year and thought it was rubbish. They played songs mainly from Black Clouds and Silver Linings, but those songs dont really lend themselves to a live show. Just a lot of progressive wankery that dragged on and on.

When I saw Iron Maiden in Sydney a couple of years ago, they were superb! Best show I've ever seen.

You guys have convinced me, this is definitely on the agenda. Now just need to find out if tour venues and dates could converge with my summer plans.

I had planned to see Rage Against the Machine and Avenged Sevenfold live, so if it could all be integrated somehow it would be fantastic!

Could anyone recommend any other bands in this genre that are excellent live? I'll be in Europe over the summer and a couple of diversions would be worth it. Just wish I could see classic GNR live...

Could anyone recommend any other bands in this genre that are excellent live? I'll be in Europe over the summer and a couple of diversions would be worth it

Lucky bastard. I should think you have the pick of pretty well anything, although Wacken Open Air would be awesome. August 4 to Saturday, August 7. The festival will be headlined by Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, M?tley Cr?e, and Slayer.

Lucky bastard. I should think you have the pick of pretty well anything, although Wacken Open Air would be awesome. August 4 to Saturday, August 7. The festival will be headlined by Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, M?tley Cr?e, and Slayer.
Was never into Slayer, but the three other bands are longtime favourites! I think Germany might be a bit hard to do, so I'm looking at anything in the UK atm... thanks so much for the suggestion though! I think I need to get planning.