Awesome Thread... [Automotive Edition]

01-mugen-atom-630.jpg

Mugen special edition Aerial atom

:drool:

Yup, that's awesome.

That guy also just about described my ideal girl :p Although I would prefer if she alreadly knew what she was doing. :lol:

AY0F3765.jpg

So earlier I mentioned that I was in the market for a porsche. I was originally looking at the base Carrera and then decided on the Carrera S coupe. Now i'm debating whether it's worth going for a cabriolet (And paying maybe 7k or more) or going for a GTS coupe (and paying maybe 10k more). The sensible option would be to stick with the Carrera S. I'm pulling out my hair weighing options. I'm going to speak with dealer to see what's out there, of course ordering is still an option too.

I would personally stick with a hard top model with a proper manual trans. The cabriolet models tend to be garage queens and have worse depreciation. BUT, you should buy whatever you enjoy the most.

Lets be fair here the RS6 was heavily rengineered by Audi from a performance standpoint it it quite a bit different than the A6 or even the S6. By your argument hardly any cars are performance oriented including every thing from the history of Mpower road cars (except the M1) every GTR except the latest variant, every Mazdaspeed car (except the MX-5) never mind all of the Type Rs (except NSX) innumerable RS badged Fords and pretty much every muscle car in the history of muscle cars from both America and Austrailia. Calling the RS6 not performance focused is just stupid it is one of the most performance focused Audis you can buy that isn't a R8.

I said serious performance orientated car. The Audi is a front heavy (with the engine way out over the front axle) and overall heavy. It's a luxury/family car modified to go fast. At least when BMW built the M-cars they started with a good chassis design and made it better. Perfect example, they took an e30 and stuck a shorter/lighter engine in the car to keep the weight as centered in the chassis as possible.

Type-R's are FWD. The Aussie and American muscle cars are only good for straight line speed anyway, and probably why most people don't really give a damn about them being so low... or like them when they are dropped.

I have no problem with the badge It's the huge ass wheels and slammed to fuck stance that i find stupid on this particular car. Look everyone is entitled to their opinion especially on the INTERNET i was just trying explain why i find a dumped RS6 on 20s ugly as shit but still love that truck or a LS400 that has been bagged and dropped to the ground rolling on 21" Works that weight 35lb each.

The RS6 comes factory with 19's and optionally 20" wheels. And BTW, those are AMG wheels, aren't AMG supposed to be up there with the RS/M cars as well? You going to hate on stock AMG's now?

So earlier I mentioned that I was in the market for a porsche. I was originally looking at the base Carrera and then decided on the Carrera S coupe. Now i'm debating whether it's worth going for a cabriolet (And paying maybe 7k or more) or going for a GTS coupe (and paying maybe 10k more). The sensible option would be to stick with the Carrera S. I'm pulling out my hair weighing options. I'm going to speak with dealer to see what's out there, of course ordering is still an option too.

I would personally stick with a hard top model with a proper manual trans. The cabriolet models tend to be garage queens and have worse depreciation. BUT, you should buy whatever you enjoy the most.

This. Don't get a cabriolet, the weight and loss of structural rigidity ruins the dynamics. Don't waste your time fretting over the GTS model, just go with you heart and get a C2S 6 speed manual :p

If you must have a convertible, man up and get the Spyder, who cares about the top and how fiddly it is? Leave it at home and drive 80 through the rain.

Didn't know about the depreciation. I think the Carrera S coupe will be great, I just don't want to end up having any kind of buyers remorse thinking I could have gotten a Cab or maybe even the GTS. I don't even know if the extra costs are worth it. Such a tough decision. Maybe i'm jumping the gun. Because I'm looking for a good deal too, and most of the cars out there are packed with so many options that it seems unlikely a dealer would drop the price to where I would want it. And if I were to order one, I may be looking at a smaller discount then.

This. Don't get a cabriolet, the weight and loss of structural rigidity ruins the dynamics. Don't waste your time fretting over the GTS model, just go with you heart and get a C2S 6 speed manual :p

If you must have a convertible, man up and get the Spyder, who cares about the top and how fiddly it is? Leave it at home and drive 80 through the rain.

lol.....I've never had a convertible and think it would be kind of cool. I really don't have a preference either way though. So yeah, maybe just stick with the S. This probably won't go too well over here, but i like me some proper flappy paddles. Had them on my M3 and enjoyed using them. Sometimes shifting with a stick can be a bit of a chore.

Last edited:
Will it be the PDK transmission? If so, I would go for it. It's an impressive piece of kit.

Will it be the PDK transmission? If so, I would go for it. It's an impressive piece of kit.

True, I've riden in a 997 Turbo with PDK and it shifts very quickly indeed. But, Porsche manuals are among the best out there. Try one before you commit to the PDK, as they are a very rewarding gearbox to use and you save thousands (it was something like a $10,000 option or something ridiculous on the 997)

True, I've riden in a 997 Turbo with PDK and it shifts very quickly indeed. But, Porsche manuals are among the best out there. Try one before you commit to the PDK, as they are a very rewarding gearbox to use and you save thousands (it was something like a $10,000 option or something ridiculous on the 997)

Yes- if you do go with the PDK, make sure that you get the proper steering wheel with up shift and down shift paddles on only one side.

I said serious performance orientated car.

And I just said performance oriented.

The Audi is a front heavy (with the engine way out over the front axle) and overall heavy. It's a luxury/family car modified to go fast. At least when BMW built the M-cars they started with a good chassis design and made it better. Perfect example, they took an e30 and stuck a shorter/lighter engine in the car to keep the weight as centered in the chassis as possible.

If you don't think that Audi modified the C6 platform in preparation of the bump in power and resulting chassis loads put onto it as an RS6 you are kidding yourself. And while you are correct in that Mpower purposely positioned the S14 back in the E30 to improve weight distribution it is still fundamentally a commuter sedan that has been modified to go fast not a built from the ground up performance car.

Type-R's are FWD. The Aussie and American muscle cars are only good for straight line speed anyway, and probably why most people don't really give a damn about them being so low... or like them when they are dropped.

And yet the Type-Rs are still performance oriented/focused same with other FWD hot hatches like the VW Golf GTi, Various Peugeot GTi/T16s through the years and pretty much anything that comes out of Renaultsport. As for American and Aussie muscle being straight line only you and i both know that is bullshit. Years of group A and Trans-Am racing have proven that old chestnut to be false as ever.

Frankly at this point i don't even know what we are arguing about anymore but i stand by my statement that the RS6 was built to be a performance focused car. Is it performance/luxury focused? sure because that what the market segment wants but it is still FAR more performance focused than the A6/S6. Infact had the owner done something similar to an A6 or an S6 i doubt i would have nearly the issue i have with this car.

The RS6 comes factory with 19's and optionally 20" wheels. And BTW, those are AMG wheels, aren't AMG supposed to be up there with the RS/M cars as well? You going to hate on stock AMG's now?

Yes i am aware they are AMG wheels and yes AMG fits in with the other cars i mentioned and no i am not going to hate on stock AMGs though i highly doubt that stock AMGs come dropped to the extent of the above RS6. Also it is entirely possible that the RS6 owner has reworked the suspension so that he has not destroyed his ride or handling ability but i doubt that is the case with such a dramatic lowering. Also upon further reading it appears those AMG wheels are 21" which i still think are too big

TL/DR:
  • There are TONS of cars that started off as anything but sporty that have been worked over by their manufacturers to be performance Focused cars.
  • The fact that they started as commuter sedans, small efficient cheap hatchbacks or comfortable cruisers does not mean they cannot be performance cars
  • I still think that compromising the efforts of those manufacturers for pure aesthetics is dumb
  • It's my opinion i am not trying to make it your opinion.

Last edited:

[video=youtube;YMYHgl1-07Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMYHgl1-07Y&NR=1[/video]

Last edited:
Hmmm I saw the Mugen Ariel Atom earlier on this morning. Not quite sure if I've made me mind up about it to be honest. o_O All I know is that if I sat in it me arse would get pretty cold quick-smart.

don't worry, you'll be pissing your pants by the time you reach the first corner, that will warm up your ass pretty quick ;)

Reactions: MWF
Finn, read the Evo issues from a few years back when they had the previous-gen RS6 Avant in the Car Of The Year test. They very nearly forgot to test it and when they did they dumped it in last place, saying that its one of the very fastest cars in the test in a straight line but its useless at everything else - terrible handling and boring to drive.

Yeah. It would be the PDK. $4k option. Plus a little extra for the paddle shifts (left down, right up).

And yet the Type-Rs are still performance oriented/focused same with other FWD hot hatches like the VW Golf GTi, Various Peugeot GTi/T16s through the years and pretty much anything that comes out of Renaultsport.

Peugeot never made a FWD T16. They were both AWD.

The Finn I am disappointed in you.:glare: