Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Yesterday I drove my mate's 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback, there was a scoop on the bonnet so I'm assuming there's a turbo somewhere in it. The main feature I was mostly interested in though were the three pedals on the floor and manual shifter, I haven't really had a chance to drive stick for a nearly two years now, but let me tell you something, you just never forget! It's so much better than all the automatics I've been renting and driving for the past couple of years... Rowing through the gears, even at low speeds, as got to be one of the most enjoyable activity you can do with your hands and feet.

And now it's back to crappy rentals with dreadful slushboxes whenever I need to drive... Which, sadly, is just not enough to justify buying my own car right now.

why is a Focus 5 door considered a "hot deal" for $34K AUD? You could buy a very well-equipped Fusion or Taurus here for that much.

Because it's a Focus ST (or XR5 Turbo as they're called here). The normal 5-door costs around $20k. You could buy a mid range Mondeo for the same as the XR5.

Yes, still depressing compared to the United States of Cheap Cars.

My concern is the seriousness of the crash - a new door alone may not fix the car. There could possibly be damage to the unibody. Has a body shop checked out the car?

as long as the door opens and closes without any problems, you shouldn't really be afraid...

my dashboard puked :(

188360_951935566422_9131082_48764544_4229024_n.jpg

damn you blaro!

Yesterday I drove my mate's 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback, there was a scoop on the bonnet so I'm assuming there's a turbo somewhere in it. The main feature I was mostly interested in though were the three pedals on the floor and manual shifter, I haven't really had a chance to drive stick for a nearly two years now, but let me tell you something, you just never forget! It's so much better than all the automatics I've been renting and driving for the past couple of years... Rowing through the gears, even at low speeds, as got to be one of the most enjoyable activity you can do with your hands and feet.

And now it's back to crappy rentals with dreadful slushboxes whenever I need to drive... Which, sadly, is just not enough to justify buying my own car right now.

I have that exact car. I love my manual with a firey passion, but there's no turbo under there, just a cold air intake.

I wasn't sure because I saw quite a few Legacies without the hood scoop!

It's a lovely car and it just made it on my list of cars to own ;-)

Damn coolant cap refuses to open. I need to get my hammers.

What are late-90s E39 5-series like for reliability? What sort of things go wrong typically on these? Theres a 1999 528i for sale locally for pretty cheap that would suit my brother quite well now his Celica has shat itself.

They don't seem too bad according to old mate

Last edited:
That might be adhered by the cooling system sealant you put in it.

Well I opened it last month without a problem. I have no idea why it is being such a pain this time. I'll try it again in the morning when the car is absolutely cold.

What worries me though is this. I changed my oil at a garage and they told me I had a radiator leak - I said I know, don't worry about it. Before that, I drove the car from here to DC and back and no coolant was lost. Now all of a sudden after this oil change it is down from MAX to MIN.

The last time I took my car there they changed the axle. A week later I had to change the control arm.

Coincidence?

From what I know (not terribly much), they're fine. obviously parts will be more than for the Celica though. Lovely car, so I'd take a look.

As long as it doesn't need as many parts as his Celica does now, it should be fine. It's pretty much dead - our mechanic says it basically needs a whole new engine, pretty much completely new suspension, new exhaust and a probably a new gearbox in the near future. The damn thing isn't worth anything so he's going to flog it on ebay and buy something decent.

I drove it the other day, and it was easily the worst thing I have ever driven. I didn't dare go over 60km/h because the noises and vibrations it was making felt like all the body panels were going to fall off and the whole thing was going to explode.

My buddy just got back from his first autocross in his BMW 335. He says there was some 76 year-old lady there driving a supercharged Elise, and that she was pretty good.

I want to meet this woman, because that is pure awesome.

Last edited:
I'm going to an autocross in the morning. Spectator only. I don't have much faith in my Volvo at the moment.

I washed my car! It's all shiny!