Idiots + cars = LOL

Agreed. I still don't understand why my truck's FAN SHROUD has a warning saying "Caution Fan". Really? I thought it was a Dyson Air Multiplier.

Actually, that sticker does make sense in later cars, ones with electric fans. Those things can come on when the engine is shut off and cause impressive injury and that's not actually something you'd get from common sense.

On an engine-driven fan, no, you'd have to have the engine running and any idiot should know that sticking your hand in there without sufficient caution can result in severe injury.

Actually, that sticker does make sense in later cars, ones with electric fans. Those things can come on when the engine is shut off and cause impressive injury and that's not actually something you'd get from common sense.

On an engine-driven fan, no, you'd have to have the engine running and any idiot should know that sticking your hand in there without sufficient caution can result in severe injury.
Yeah one of the kids my friend knows has learned that very well. He stuck his hand in front of an unshielded turbo intake. Fun fact, turbos not only blow but also SUCK, his missing some fingers....

Blame the upbringing. How many parents give their daughters cars and trucks as toys instead of dolls? How many parents teach daughters about how to take care of a car?

Unfortunately, most parents still raise their kids within traditional gender roles. Female babies are treated far more gently than male babies; toys and decorations for infants fall along traditional gender roles in most cases.

If you really want I can go look up the studies that disprove that argument. Recent research shows that early childhood experiences do have a long-lasting affect. It's not just the toys, however, it's the general attitude towards the child that matters. Female children tend to be treated more gently and offered more help as children, they are protected much more than male children - "pampered" if you will. Male children are treated more roughly than females, allowed to problem-solve for themselves and allowed more rough play than females.

That last part of your statement is true, it's one thing to not know how to change your own oil, it's quite another to not know that oil needs to be changed and hiring a mechanic.

I agree very much. She was slightly pampered to say the least. But I have always tried to spread knowledge of basic auto care to those that are willing to learn, she just did not want to do that. All but one of my sister's children knows how to change oil, tires, and spot potential problems by just walking around the vehicle. These are things that I was required to know before being allowed to drive, and I agree that was a good thing.

This talk reminded me of a college mate...

A girl in her 20's studied with me, got her car as a birthday gift and I kid you not: (I don't remember what car it was, but I think it was a Citro?n C5)

- She didn't know where was "the hole thingy" (in her words) to put gas. "Because my boyfriend puts gas for me"
- She didn't know what a "Spare tire" is (and obviously could'nt change it... or locate it) "Because there will be always someone to help"
- She didn't know cars needed OIL, brake fluid and water (in most cases) "Because... oil is for trucks, right?"
- Thought the blinking lights and beeps in the dashboard were to keep the driver awake (And on that my jaw hit the floor)

I don't know why basic mechanics is NOT a mandatory class in driver schools. A person like that shouldn't be allowed to drive, or even own a car. My 56yr old mother knows how to change tires, oil, and even replace spark plugs, my "blonde cheerleader" cousin who works in a perfume store and dresses like Paris Hilton replaced an alternator belt once.

EDIT: The bluetooth in the car's stereo to connect her mobile? THAT she learned to use in 5 minutes <_<

Last edited:
There is a big difference between knowing how to change spark plugs, oil etc and understanding that they exist. People who wouldn't know what a rattle is, but know it is bad are fine. But definitely those who cannot fathom that there are moving parts within an engine should be removed from the road.

I don't know about other countries, but the UK driving test does require you to simply identify various items under the bonnet. These are the washer fluid reservoir, brake fluid reservoir, coolant reservoir and oil dipstick. You only have to 'tell' the instructor these - not actually check the oil level etc, but you do also have to know how they should be filled; i.e. washer fluid filled all the way up, the rest of them are between the minimum and maximum indicators. How people could pass their test but still not comprehend the basic workings of an engine is proof of the retardedness of people.

I don't know about other countries, but the UK driving test does require you to simply identify various items under the bonnet. These are the washer fluid reservoir, brake fluid reservoir, coolant reservoir and oil dipstick. You only have to 'tell' the instructor these - not actually check the oil level etc, but you do also have to know how they should be filled; i.e. washer fluid filled all the way up, the rest of them are between the minimum and maximum indicators. How people could pass their test but still not comprehend the basic workings of an engine is proof of the retardedness of people.

Wow, that's much better than here. Here you only need to learn how to drive the car, and read road signs :(

I swear I once saw a lady on a gas station who didn't know how to open the bonnet/hood >.< (of a Fiat Uno)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Saw a Nissan Almera on the motorway yesterday, being driven by an elderly gentleman (he had glasses on but the bits that go round your ears were sitting above them so the glasses were at an angle). It was a 2005 car, but my god did the clutch need replacing. This was in stop/start traffic (it was the M25, after all) and there was much grinding and horrific smells. It reached the stage where he actually stopped in the middle lane with hazards on. I thought he might have just blown up the clutch but he kept going. Those are the kind of people that you wonder why they're driving. :dunno:

Yes, same here, and should be in all countries belonging to the EU issuing European driving licenses.

It's staged.

I can believe that video. In New Jersey it's illegal to fuel your own vehicle. So given their age and attitudes I can believe they haven't a clue.

Illegal to fuel your own car? Not moving to New Jersey.
Believe me, that's pretty low on the list of reasons not to move to Jersey. :p

You only have to 'tell' the instructor these - not actually check the oil level etc, but you do also have to know how they should be filled;
Ah, you mean removing the dipstick and let the oil drip in drop by drop or through a tiny funnel? :p

I think we have those basics in the driving test as well, but randomly. I can't remember if I had to show something since it was almost 13 years ago - man, I feel old now...

<The Matrix>
There is no oil filler cap...
</The Matrix>

At least for idiots. ;)

One never ceases to learn (and wonder)...

From Autoblog
Today's comatose driver expects everything to be automated ? and it is. Look no further than the myriad of digitized warning lights on the dashboard when the key is turned (um... make that the start button). Don't blame the automakers for the disappearance of the dipstick ? blame the public at large.

It's not BMW alone, though: at least Audi, Porsche and Mercedes ditched the dipstick, too. Apparently you can buy a dipstick as add-on, at least at Mercedes...

My 320i does have a dipstick, and I checked the oil just yesterday: I drove about 4500 km since the last oil change and not one drop is missing. :) Next oil change is in ~ 20.000 km (~12,500 miles), and I will check the dipstick regularly. I'll never trust a computer to check something - you know, sensors can break, a dipstick can't (OK, if you are stupid yadda yadda).