The "New Toys" Thread

Ehrm, why would you need a DVI cable on a monitor to get higher resolutions? A VGA cable does exactly the same.

not higher resolutions, high definition. the monitor doesn't support it though VGA AFAIK :)

Got this in the mail today.... filling it up with the map of england....

sandisk_micro_sd_2gb_memory_card.gif

For those wondering why such techy stuff all of a sudden, I landed a part time job a few months ago...

Now that ive found a buyer for the mini SD i purchased wrongly, i almost bought that, but then seen this pic on the net. I cant find it anywhere. Play.com has the 1GB version, but i really want 2 gig or more, and need ultra II as i wanna play big DivX files.

http://img265.imageshack.**/img265/2936/sdsdqu2048e10mos4.th.jpg

As for the N95, even with 5 satellites in range, the GPS is in a constant state of 'waiting for GPS'. Its annoying me, though ive now got it at ?25pm @ 900mins/450txts, so still well worth it. I like the build feel of it, its awefully similar to the N80, except that didnt have the slider ridges at the sid eof the keypad, which id prefer. Maybe i ought to go in the middle of a field, stand there for 5 mins until i get a GPS lock

The specs are good, 332MHz as opposed to say the 220MHz of the N73, but the cruddy 20MB of ram is a dissapointment, id have like to have seen a phone of this standard with at least the ram of its counterparts, like say the N76 has 44MB ram and a 369mhz CPU.

Now im just really looking forward to a firmware update, it will iron out the creases hopefully of the freezing up which i experienced the other day. What do you other guys think of the battery life?? Theres 7 bars, i never seem to see it when its on its 6th and 5th bar.. weird, almost as if it skips 2 bars in a really short space of time. deceiving, but, all in all, it definily requires a nighly charge

Last edited:
Last edited:
not higher resolutions, high definition. the monitor doesn't support it though VGA AFAIK :)

High definition is exactly the same as high resolution... I mean, if you have like 1280*1024 pixels on standard resolution (which a VGA connection is perfectly capable of), how could "high definition" make that somehow better? You can't get more out of your screen than its native resolution.

High definition is exactly the same as high resolution... I mean, if you have like 1280*1024 pixels on standard resolution (which a VGA connection is perfectly capable of), how could "high definition" make that somehow better? You can't get more out of your screen than its native resolution.

absolutely no idea :D i just follow the manual :)

i'm running 1440x900 ATM though

GPS in n95 has no chance against stand-alone navigators. I have no experience with external bluetooth models, but built-in one has indeed anoyinly long delay before it locks in. Biggest problem for me is still the lack of proper car holder/cradle.

Also I agree, phone is impressively fast, but 20mb is pretty limiting. Any java app will eat memory in no time. Open browser and music player alongside, and you'll get "out of memory" quite often :(

About the flash, I got regular SanDisk mircoSD, I wonder if it will be enough to record long videos...

Don't know what to say about battery, I charge it every night at least. The worst I've seen now is 2 bars, and I've been playing with it a lot during the day.

absolutely no idea :D i just follow the manual :)

i'm running 1440x900 ATM though

I suppose that's the native resolution of the screen, so using a DVI cable will change almost nothing, except the fact that it could be a little sharper and you won't have to autocalibrate it.

I suppose that's the native resolution of the screen, so using a DVI cable will change almost nothing, except the fact that it could be a little sharper and you won't have to autocalibrate it.

if i connect it as DVI it runs as component and i get 1080p. that's all i know :mrgreen:

1080p is higher than 1440x900. It's 1920?1080 or exactly 2,073,600. 720P is 1,280x720. The i and p have nothing to do with resolution, but how the images are drawn. They feature the same resolutions. i means "interlaced" which means first the odd lines are drawn, then the even, but still within the 1/30 of a second for a single "frame." the "p" means progressive scan, which means all of the lines are drawn sequentially, which, while not giving you any higher resolution, can give a sharper, cleaner imaged better suited for sports/motion.

Also, from cNet: "As opposed to tubes, microdisplays (DLP, LCoS, and LCD rear-projection) and other fixed-pixel TVs, including plasma and LCD flat-panel, are inherently progressive in nature, so when the incoming source is interlaced, as 1080i is, they convert it to progressive scan for display."

I've had bad luck with using LCD TV's for monitors, just because their refresh rate is usually so horrid.

if i connect it as DVI it runs as component and i get 1080p. that's all i know :mrgreen:
You won't get 1080p. 1920x1080 is bigger than 1440x900.

Last edited:

some TV displays support higher resolution only through DVI, its not that VGA can't do the same resolution, it's software/hardware limitation on the TV display itself.

Excellent, thank you for the pm aswell, sadly its out of stock and do you know if they are a reputable place to get things from?

just from a quick google i found this
http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showthread.php?t=54817

i was going to but a 4GB card for my PSP from there so it was the first place i looked, but i didn't look for information about them at all. thanks for posting that, but i don't know if i would trust a post from with only 1 post to their name. the other guy seems to think they are good, and i would be happy to give them a try :)

You won't get 1080p. 1920x1080 is bigger than 1440x900.

my mistake sorry, it's 1080i :D. and it's a samsung so i trust it can get a good resolution. worth the money as i got it for ?200 in an easter sale :)

Last edited:
my mistake sorry, it's 1080i :D. and it's a samsung so i trust it can get a good resolution. worth the money as i got it for ?200 in an easter sale :)
Still doesn't help. It's just probably some scaling thing. The display has 1440x900 physical pixels so it can't display anymore.

If you don't care about it being Ultra II you can get it for dirt cheap from here. Very very reliable shop.
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=101822

I'd be happy enough getting it from play @ ?14.99 inc delivery, but ive had slow mem cards in fast devices before and always regretted not waiting for the fast version. How are the standard ones holding up in your phones guys?

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/3251313/Sandisk_2GB_Micro_SD_Card/Product.html

and anyone got spec on the speed of the standard cards, i know by now even standard cards wont really be 'slow'

don't really care about the speed of the card in my phone, it's not like I need the speed. The phone's usb interface is only usb 1.1, so even the slower cards are plenty fast. Plus, I just use it for Tomtom and some music, perhaps one or two videos.

Last edited:
New toy this morning along with a new phone plan.

6288. Love it thus far, so much better than the Samsung Z510 I had.
http://img149.imageshack.**/img149/3700/nokia62881tz1.jpg

That looks tight.
Nice purchase.

Just did some shopping.

*snip*

http://img405.imageshack.**/img405/498/yayct8.jpg

Part II arrived today. Do you guys think my Megahutz will be okay?

http://img175.imageshack.**/img175/6624/yaysf1.jpg