Someone talk me out of buying a motorcycle...

Bollocks.

Is it risky? Sure. Most motorcycle accidents are single-vehicle crashes and the most common type of bike to be in a crash is a sportbike. If you ride smart and wear your gear you will probably be fine. I say probably because there are no guarantees in life. The first thing I notice in that second photo is the guy has NO gear. No leathers, no armor, wrong shoes, no boots - I assume he had a helmet, but there are some states where even that is not required. Bikes go down, I regularly ride with the knee-dragging crowd and there is always someone with scraped up plastics. On one of my rides a guy hit some debris in the road and washed out his front end on a left-hander; his bike went down and slid into the guardrail and he rashed the hell out of his textile jacket. His fairings were fucked up but the bike was mechanically fine and the rider was shaken but uninjured. Why? He was riding safe and wearing his gear.

Owning a motorcycle is a fantastic experience and one that should not be missed. If you let your fear control you then you will probably live a very long time, but what is the fun of living in fear? I don't want to look back on my life and think, "You know, I really wish I bought a motorcycle" when I'm on my death bed.

I'm not afraid of dying, I'm just afraid of not living.

Say that again when a 4x4 hits you from the side, protective gearing or not. you will either end up as a vegetable or a dead man.

Bikes are dangerous, there is no need to argue over that. You want some thrill on bikes? take it to the race track or do some off road dirt biking where there are no traffic and huge 4X4s to kill you.

My uncle broke his left arm over 20 years ago because some knob t-boned him, he was wearing a thick leather jacket and helmet, didnt help shit. And it wasnt even a big car, a cheap little honda civic took him out solid.

A bike on the road is like riding a coffin with two wheels, you want the ultimate adrenaline rush? fine, take it on the race track. The public road is not safe, not with all the careless drivers out there on the road, you want to risk your chance with their driving skills? Big mistake.

When I'm riding around cars I'm constantly thinking "What's the stupidest thing they could do right now?" and I plan ahead for it. I take extra care to keep good distance between myself and the car ahead of me. That gives me extra reaction time and helps others see me since there's more separation between myself and the car. I strap on all the gear even if I'm just riding across town. I have a feeling that the first time I don't have it will probably be the first time I really need it. Another reason I always gear up is because I would hate to leave my family wondering "what if?"

Just make sure to get that Donor sticker on your license!
I had that long before I ever got on a motorcycle. I'm not going to need those organs if I'm dead so it makes sense for someone who needs them to have them.

MadCow, then don't ride one.

A "thick leather jacket" is only good for road rash, modern gear has armor that spreads the force out and will leave you with deep bruises but reduce the chance of broken bones and the like.

I did say that it's risky, but if a rider knows where the risks are he can ride in a way to avoid them. If you have a car you can pick and choose when to ride to further reduce your odds of a crash.

If you think that it's not worth the risk then don't ride. As someone who has experienced life before owning a bike and now that I have one I can say that I would never go back if I could help it. I love riding my motorcycle.

British_Rover, if motorcycles are in your blood then you don't need convincing one way or another. Some people are scared of bikes or frightened of being out of their cage. That's fine, I don't want them on a bike anyway since they would be a danger to themselves and those around them. There is no denying that riding poses different risks than driving a car, but I think it can be far more rewarding and pleasurable. With risk comes reward.

MadCow, have you ever owned a bike? Until you actually experience the rewards of motorcycle ownership and the community of riders you are pontificating from a position of ignorance. Motorcycles can't be quantified, they are an emotional and visceral experience - riding on someone else's bike or a rental is not the same as finding the bike that is right for you and knowing it inside and out.

Well, Mr. Rover, do you enjoy paintings?
Because there's always a slightly higher chance you could become one.

MadCow, then don't ride one.

A "thick leather jacket" is only good for road rash, modern gear has armor that spreads the force out and will leave you with deep bruises but reduce the chance of broken bones and the like.

I did say that it's risky, but if a rider knows where the risks are he can ride in a way to avoid them. If you have a car you can pick and choose when to ride to further reduce your odds of a crash.

If you think that it's not worth the risk then don't ride. As someone who has experienced life before owning a bike and now that I have one I can say that I would never go back if I could help it. I love riding my motorcycle.

British_Rover, if motorcycles are in your blood then you don't need convincing one way or another. Some people are scared of bikes or frightened of being out of their cage. That's fine, I don't want them on a bike anyway since they would be a danger to themselves and those around them. There is no denying that riding poses different risks than driving a car, but I think it can be far more rewarding and pleasurable. With risk comes reward.

MadCow, have you ever owned a bike? Until you actually experience the rewards of motorcycle ownership and the community of riders you are pontificating from a position of ignorance. Motorcycles can't be quantified, they are an emotional and visceral experience - riding on someone else's bike or a rental is not the same as finding the bike that is right for you and knowing it inside and out.

Well, then please enlighten me on this matter.

How do you stop a 4X4 with your flesh? Ppl get crushed by 4x4s in their cars, let along a bike. If all the problems and accidents can be forseen and predicted just by experience, then why are so many bikers die from accidents every year? Are they all stupid and inexperienced? How do you judge whether the other drivers on the road are intelligent drivers or not? How do you know they wont shoot a red intersection in their massive 4X4s?

And no, Ive never owned a bike. I'll admit that I dont have the balls, and that Im way to scared to ride a bike in public traffic, Ive seen too many knobs who loves to change lanes without indicating and many other dangerous maneuvers. While not most accidents are not fatal, I would like to avoid any sort of accidents if possible. Im not questioning your skills or your experience, but I simply dont have faith in 90% of the drivers on the road.

It is human nature to go fast, especially on a bike. Maybe its easy to dodge a truck at low speeds. But what about high speed? When you come around the corner doing well over 60mph, and a truck decides to jump the stop sign or intersection, its a totally different equation.

I'm planning on getting a bike as well, but it will be used for the track only. In fact Ive been thinking about buying a second hand off road bike for a very long time now. A bike to me will be more like a toy, rather than my daily transportation tool.

Dont get the wrong impression here, Im not bashing on bikes, I love bikes, I love the idea and the feeling of a high revving engine screaming right below ur chest. I think Ive made my motives clear on why not to buy a bike as a daily commuting tool, but that doesnt mean I detest bikes or bikers, beacuse I dont. I love bikes so much that I hate myself for being a pussy and not have the balls to take it on the road. I might regret this when Im 80 years old, but at the same time, I will also be happy knowing that I get to live to 80 without losing part of my limbs or turned into a vegetable.

Last edited:
Of course a bike can't survive a crash with a car. Agility and attentiveness are your armor on a bike. Same rationale for small sports cars, but taken to an extreme. Same reason why ninjas don't wear full plate.

A buddy of mine was hospitalized after an accident on a country road. A car pulled out in front of him and he was unconscious until he got to the hospital. He was in a halo for 9 weeks. If he wasn't geared up, the outcome would have been obvious...and even geared he was still lucky to not sustain a disability. By doctor's recommendation he's to never ride again, as a slight impact could cause permanent damage. He still rides occasionally on friends' bikes around the block, and plans to eventually get another bike. He's been looking into head/neck restraints for racers for a little added insurance, but either way...for him to ride again is pretty crazy. Riders are just a different breed, I guess.

^ We are. When motorcycles get into your blood there is no getting them out.

Blah blah blah blah

And no, Ive never owned a bike. I'll admit that I dont have the balls, and that Im way to scared to ride a bike in public traffic

Blah blah blah blah

I can't enlighten you because the experience can not be quantified. How can you stop an SUV with your flesh? Painfully. Bikes have agility, acceleration and braking on their side. There are many, many more escape routes for a bike that a car can't use. The way you survive such a crash is to be vigilant, ride smart, wear your gear, take courses in advanced rider training and always have multiple escape routes planed.

If you don't have the stones to ride and are going to be petrified with a fear of death whenever you get on a bike, then do us all a favor and don't. You will just lock up in a critical moment and end up in a crash. Riding is not for everyone, and it sure sounds like it's not for you. So just watch out for us bikers when you are in your car, maybe give us a wave or let us merge - we do appreciate it.

You may want to re-think track riding. It's even more intense than riding on the street and the chance of a high speed low-side or high-side crash is much higher.

This is a track day at Laguna Seca:
[youtube]PjV0wKG-WE0[/youtube]

These guys use the entire tire - my bike isn't even geometrically capable of banking this hard because I drag my foot pegs. It takes a long time to get good enough to do a track day and all these guys started out riding around on public roads. You wouldn't decide to drive a car and go straight to a race track, why think you can do that with a motorcycle?

Last edited:
So just watch out for us bikers when you are in your car, maybe give us a wave or let us merge - we do appreciate it.

I always do, and will continute to do so in the future.

Nothing like hearing a superbike passing you at full anger. Brilliant stuff

And Im not talking about hectic track days like Laguna Seca.. More like off road dirt biking on a 250 or 450R.....

^ That's even more technical. I know guys who have ridden for a decade or more and take an entry dirtbike class to make themselves better riders on the street. Loose surfaces and motorcycles don't mix and you have to be very athletic and very technically precise in your riding to pull it off.

If you can't ride a 250cc Rebel around a neighborhood then you should not be doing track days - even dirt track. I have been riding for years and even I have not tried my hand at off road riding. I hope to put enough money aside to take a class this year.

Go for it, it gets good mileage, sometimes cheap insurance, and you know you want it.

For the people that don't get it:

Should you not enjoy a goodnights rest because a fire could happen and kill you in your sleep?

If a 4x4 can hurt you in your car, then I guess you better get one yourself; better yet get a tank!

If you haven't enjoyed it a few times, then you really can't understand how much it means to some of us. And don't say its only a means of unsafe enjoyment, no rollercoaster rides for lil' Timmy then!

My Quote: "If your gonna die, your gonna die, but make sure your having fun when you do."

I think he alreadly knows the consquences of driving a motorcycle, there is always a chance you will....
HAVE FUN!

^ That's even more technical. I know guys who have ridden for a decade or more and take an entry dirtbike class to make themselves better riders on the street. Loose surfaces and motorcycles don't mix and you have to be very athletic and very technically precise in your riding to pull it off.

If you can't ride a 250cc Rebel around a neighborhood then you should not be doing track days - even dirt track. I have been riding for years and even I have not tried my hand at off road riding. I hope to put enough money aside to take a class this year.

Nah, it will be fun. Since it wont be competitive racing. My best friend's dad used to work at Honda, now working for Ducati. Ill get him to give me a few lessons, he is an excellent rider.

funny-pictures-tree-eats-motorcycle.jpg

If you buy a bike, trees will attempt to eat you.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

MadCow, don't lecture us on it knock it until you've tried it.

I don't think I'd get a Speed Triple for a first bike; it's too fast and too expensive. But I highly recommend riding.

A bike on the road is like riding a coffin with two wheels, you want the ultimate adrenaline rush? fine, take it on the race track. The public road is not safe, not with all the careless drivers out there on the road, you want to risk your chance with their driving skills? Big mistake.
Okay mom ;).

I'm planning on getting a bike as well, but it will be used for the track only. In fact Ive been thinking about buying a second hand off road bike for a very long time now. A bike to me will be more like a toy, rather than my daily transportation tool.
Nothing wrong with that. But I'm surprised you'd want to do off road riding for all your fears. I thought it would be 'safer' off road too. Nope :lol:. Take Blind's advice; it's way more technical, especially if you go tearing through the woods like I do. I'd go so far as to say that, if you're looking to avoid injury (lots of minor ones at least) ride on the street. Personally, all I've done on the road is scrape up a leg. Off road, I've gotten more cuts and bruises than I care to think about, along with 2 broken fingers. Not to mention off roading is a hell of a lot harder on a bike.

I might regret this when Im 80 years old, but at the same time, I will also be happy knowing that I get to live to 80 without losing part of my limbs or turned into a vegetable.
Fun fact: We're all going to die. I don't particularly like the idea of getting old, crippled and senile. Heh, I don't want to sound suicidal or anything, but I'm going to have some fun before I die.