Ownership Verified: Captain_70s' motor - 2008 Toyota Y-arse-is 1.0

A precision driving machine.. And some old VW Beetle.

IMG02262.jpg

The most eventful thing to happen in my last 1000 miles of motoring was running out of screenwash. The gunk in the oil cap is gone and coolant is stable so no worries there, the clutch still squeaks but that is getting looked at soon too.

My only real complaint is it really is slow, you really need to drive with your foot to the floor just to hold 60mph on hills and against headwinds and at that point it is often getting around 20mpg... Current plan is to pay this off ASAP and replace it with something better once insurance is being kinder to me...

I'm sure the owner of this thing could give you a hand with maintaining high speed without affecting the engines MPG. :D

Glad it's settled down now. :)

What does the "T2" badge mean?

Captain, how much is it ensured for? Since you seem to hate it so much you could arrange for it to have a little 'accident' with a farm tractor or off-road equiped worktruck and pay it off.....hell a guy on a moped could total a Yaris.

Yes I know that's fraud.....I'm Belgian, it's what we do.

Captain, how much is it ensured for? Since you seem to hate it so much you could arrange for it to have a little 'accident' with a farm tractor or off-road equiped worktruck and pay it off.....hell a guy on a moped could total a Yaris.

Yes I know that's fraud.....I'm Belgian, it's what we do.

If I wrote it off I'd have enough to pay off the finance company, but that's it. No money for another car. Besides, if I had to claim on my insurance my premiums would shoot through the roof, I don't want to be insuring 1.0 hatchbacks for 3 grand. :p What is done is done, I'm fairly settled with it now.

Besides I don't hate the car per-say, I just dislike the attitude it attracts. If I abuse it people moan about me not respecting a car that cost so much, if I look after it I get mocked for caring about a shit car, can't win really.
It is... uninspiring, but it does the job I ask it to, if I don't thrash it I can get 40mpg, at ?1200 a year it is cheap (by UK 1st car standards) to insure and it should last well and hold its value.

Rather than pay it off with my savings I might buy a silly 2nd car like a Triumph Herald to mess around with. Simply as the Yaris does it's job and it'd be nice to achieve a goal I've had for so many years.

if I don't thrash it I can get 40mpg, at ?1200 a year it is cheap (by UK 1st car standards) to insure and it should last well and hold its value.

Rather than pay it off with my savings I might buy a silly 2nd car like a Triumph Herald to mess around with. Simply as the Yaris does it's job and it'd be nice to achieve a goal I've had for so many years.

You're probably best to think of it that way, you're saving money by driving which you can later spend on something else, and it's not like you're driving a ?200 rotbox 205 diesel to save either. :)

I wish I could get 40mpg...

A weeks worth of mud, glorious.
IMG02272.jpg

It doesn't stop on the outside. :lol:
IMG02269.jpg

Somebody with a T Spirit was clearly mocking me...
IMG02274.jpg

This car is so incredibly un-eventful. Rather boring but better than most my mates' facebook statuses saying something like "Need a distributor, again", or "Where has my passenger side floor gone?", or "One of two spare gearboxes in my car...". :lol:

Last edited:
A weeks worth of mud, glorious.
IMG02272.jpg

It doesn't stop on the outside. :lol:
IMG02269.jpg

Somebody with a T Spirit was clearly mocking me...
IMG02274.jpg

This car is so incredibly un-eventful. Rather boring but better than most my mates' facebook statuses saying something like "Need a distributor, again", or "Where has my passenger side floor gone?", or "One of two spare gearboxes in my car...". :lol:

:lol: normally I'd say you're joking about those status' but I get the feeling that, based on you and your friend's car preferences, that's the honest truth!

As for the mud, um...rubber mats by any chance? I'd be pissed to have mud all over the carpet mats. If you do replace the mats, don't forget to remove the carpet ones before putting down the all-weather mats...we don't want any "unintended acceleration" incidents!*:p

*although, chances are, with a 3-banger yaris you could probably open the door and step out of the car before it accelerates to a great clip.

:lol: normally I'd say you're joking about those status' but I get the feeling that, based on you and your friend's car preferences, that's the honest truth!

As for the mud, um...rubber mats by any chance? I'd be pissed to have mud all over the carpet mats. If you do replace the mats, don't forget to remove the carpet ones before putting down the all-weather mats...we don't want any "unintended acceleration" incidents!*:p

*although, chances are, with a 3-banger yaris you could probably open the door and step out of the car before it accelerates to a great clip.

Those first two quotes are based on real events, the letter is a direct quote from the caption of a picture of a gearbox in the passenger seat of a Triumph Spitfire... Which also lacks a passenger side floor as it has rotted out. But not nearly as bad as another chap I know who just discovered one of his Rover P5B's wheels had a hole rotted through it under the tyre... :blink:

Although I am still sad that he is the same age as me and runs a 3.5 litre V8 executive saloon... And a Rover 2000SC... And a Rover P5 Coup?... And a Rover 75... And he bought them all for less than my car cost... And insures them for less than my car...

But to be fair he also gets 18mpg whereas I get 48 and he rarely has more than one working car at a time... :lol:

UPDATE!!!!

Nothing of interest has happened since my last post...

Apart from going slightly airborne, and hitting triple figure speed on a steep hill the FG racetrack of undiscloased location. Oh, and one of the tie-wraps holding my wheeltrim on fell off, and the trims are scuffed to Hell because I have OCD and being more than an inch from the curb when parked bugs me but I'm not good at parking...

Mechanically it is perfect, bar the throw-out bearing on the clutch, but there isn't much I can do about that unless it breaks before my warranty expires, which it probably won't. :lol: Cosmetically it has deteriorated, some interior trim fell off, much of it scratched and the paintwork has gained a few tiny dings.

Meh, it is devaluing at the rate of a lead balloon falling from an aeroplane anyway, its a working vehicle, not a pampered show car. I still want to replace it with a rusty BMW asap too... :unsure:

P5232933.jpg

I still get people saying it is surprisingly fast for a 1 litre and "have you changed the exhaust?". Who changes the exhaust on a base-spec 5 door Yaris?! :lol:

Last edited:
UPDATE!!!!

Nothing of interest has happened since my last post...

Apart from going slightly airborne, and hitting triple figure speed on a steep hill the FG racetrack of undiscloased location. Oh, and one of the tie-wraps holding my wheeltrim on fell off, and the trims are scuffed to Hell because I have OCD and being more than an inch from the curb when parked bugs me but I'm not good at parking...

Mechanically it is perfect, bar the throw-out bearing on the clutch, but there isn't much I can do about that unless it breaks before my warranty expires, which it probably won't. :lol: Cosmetically it has deteriorated, some interior trim fell off, much of it scratched and the paintwork has gained a few tiny dings.

Meh, it is devaluing at the rate of a lead balloon falling from an aeroplane anyway, its a working vehicle, not a pampered show car. I still want to replace it with a rusty BMW asap too... :unsure:

P5232933.jpg

I still get people saying it is surprisingly fast for a 1 litre and "have you changed the exhaust?". Who changes the exhaust on a base-spec 5 door Yaris?! :lol:

How on earth do you manage to scratch up the interior/make pieces fall off? :p

In any case, she appears to clean up quite nicely. :)

How on earth do you manage to scratch up the interior/make pieces fall off? :p

In any case, she appears to clean up quite nicely. :)

The scratches are on the glovebox lid as my regular passenger places his rucksack in front of his legs and it rubs against it and where I keep kicking the door when getting out. The interior trim around the B pillar near the floor came off when I went down a dirt track and hit a surprisingly large pothole.

It looks fine... from a distance. It gets washed using the brush at the jetwash so the paintwork is pretty scratched up, it'd polish out fairly easily but I cba with that. :lol:

Well, it's done 25,000 miles now, 9000 in my ownership, all of which have been relievingly hassle free.

Current problems I've had so far:

Dent in the waist line of the drivers side, I think a drunk fell on to the car.
Two small dents just behind the passenger side rear door, only found these today, probably gained in a car park somewhere.
Stupid looking replacement radio aerial after original was stolen.
Replacement windscreen wiper after original was snapped off.
Missing wheel trim, it shattered.

So, two acts of vandalism, some damage I didn't cause and a plastic wheel cover. Not bad! :D (Now watch me plant in a ditch tomorrow).

P8304342.jpg

P8304345.jpg

Re: Captain_70s' motor - 2008 Toyota Y-arse-is 1.0

Well, it's done 25,000 miles now, 9000 in my ownership, all of which have been relievingly hassle free.

Current problems I've had so far:

Dent in the waist line of the drivers side, I think a drunk fell on to the car.
Two small dents just behind the passenger side rear door, only found these today, probably gained in a car park somewhere.
Stupid looking replacement radio aerial after original was stolen.
Replacement windscreen wiper after original was snapped off.
Missing wheel trim, it shattered.

So, two acts of vandalism, some damage I didn't cause and a plastic wheel cover. Not bad! :D (Now watch me plant in a ditch tomorrow).

P8304342.jpg

P8304345.jpg

you should take all the covers off or replace the missing one...it would piss me off otherwise.

I saw a exact copy of your car today and was like "holy crap cap'n's car" :|

Yeah I need to get off the internet more.