Lens Flair

^ I still don't get how you do it. My camera has a max exposure time of 30seconds... Do you just open the shutter for an hour in the menu 'for cleaning' etc?
Make sure it's in manual mode, turn the dial on the back the body one more notch leftwards and the screen should say "BULB" or "--" for the shutter speed.

BTW, I actually explained something incorrectly. If you use the shutter button in BULB mode, the shutter will stay open for as long as you hold it down. When you let go of the button, the shutter will close. Only the remote functions as first-click open, second-click close.

2738798269_14795c1e40.jpg
*melts*

Make sure it's in manual mode, turn the dial on the back the body one more notch leftwards and the screen should say "BULB" or "--" for the shutter speed.

Thanks a lot! I normally didn't have my camera in manual mode (I had it under 'S' because nothing I do seems to make any difference with the aperture: I need more practice with it. And I even have a remote for those extra long ones. :D Now all I need is a tripod and a flash. <_<

Just discovered that as stated above you have to be in manual mode - if youre using shutter priority you wont be able to get to bulb (at least with canon).

2740739917_578d4d5a69.jpg

Guess I'll have to put out a photo of my own. Portrait from yesterday.

2741532483_a2d8fcbb2c_o.jpg

EXIF intact for those interested. Feedback appreciated.

Would have been much better if we didnt see you and the camera in the mirror. Cool idea though.

Would have been much better if we didnt see you and the camera in the mirror. Cool idea though.

I know, I spotted the mistake when I posted it. Did some cloning, and it worked out.

By the way, I sent it to the image worker at our desk, he nearly got a heart attack. Fun to joke with them. :p

Wow, love the colour of that. haven't you run out of forest to take photos of yet? :D

What lens do you use for your plant shots Jay? They always come out amazing (not saying thats down to the lens - huge respect to you)

Wow. Thank you for the comments! Sometimes I think it is the camera or lens...I am my own worst critic, and I constantly beat myself up mentally. :lol:

I use a Tamron 17-50mm, and with that picture I cropped it about 50%, cranked up the contrast, lowered the brightness...I think that is it. That is what I usually do with the plant photos. Virtually all the photos are "ooh!...I like that." type. I see it, take three shots, and move on. I could probably have better results if I set up, but when I go the arboredum, I usually walk about 4-5 miles, so the less stuff I lug around the better.

Here is the original, so you can compare.
https://pic.armedcats.net/j/ja/jayhawk/2008/08/07/DSC_42671.jpg

Here is the original, so you can compare.
https://pic.armedcats.net/j/ja/jayhawk/2008/08/07/DSC_42671.jpg

I think that's actually a nice idea, to post the picture before any major PP is done. Anyway, I really loved that, Jay! I like your work with plants but this one, for me, is the most eye-catching you've done so far. Congrats!