My old E-class Coupe

Nice, but how is that possible when, according to Wikipedia, the 190E 2.0 has a spec top speed of 195 kph, which would take a lot longer than 1500 meters to achieve? Unless you've done performance mods which makes it an apples to oranges comparison as mine is bone stock.

What was your actual top speed according to GPS/whatever? As you know speedos are wildly inaccurate at those speeds.

Oh and one more thing: if I wanted to go fast, I'd have bought some shit car that just went fast. ;)

No mods whatever, just driving on the A4 from Aachen to K?ln, and the 207 was from GPS. Speedo was almost on 220.

IMG_0067_1024.JPG

New exhaust looks like that.

BTW how come there's 3 pages in the navigation links below but actually there are only 2 :blink:

Last edited:
Mr. 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth was removed from history books.

[youtube]sBW8oeflhn4[/youtube]

[youtube]-m_tdDKZpIs[/youtube]

Sorry about the dark and the drizzle. (Finland.)
Anyway, watching that, keep in mind a camera will always lie when it comes to sound... Some of the bassy low sound of the new muffler is missing on that vid.

The engine will not run better with the cat on.

Perioid.

Also, what you need to do is make the section of the exhaust with the cat removable, so you can pop it in for the inspection, and remove it right after :)
Taking the cat off would gain maybe a few hp but there are a lot of downsides too.
It would definitely make the car louder and as far as I know the owner thinks it's loud enough. Also the exhaust would smell like shit and you would have to reinstall the cat every year for inspection.
If this little hp gain is preferred I would recommend installing a hi-flow cat. It gives you almost all the extra hp without any of the downsides. I just don't think this guy gives a shit about this little power gain. :D

I did the hi-flow conversion for my car mainly to cool down the side sills but I think I gained some hp too. The gain was barely noticeable though. What I?ve heard the original cats was really restrictive.

207? My 190E with a measly 2.0 does that (GPS verified, almost 220 on speedo) and still felt like there was a little left to give when I saw the signs of yet another Baustelle ahead.

And yes, the markings on the speedo tell you the shiftpoints.
My old dyno proven 243 hp E46 BMW 330Ci did 212 kph (14.19 s 1/4 mile) on the same runway. The same car did 260 kph (GPS) on autobahn. 1500 meters just isn't enough to get these cars to their top speed.
And no, I don't think the 330Ci has a top speed limiter like more powerful BMW's do. :D

Better vid with the new muffler:
[youtube]99EvrQQtgUw[/youtube]

Magnaflow sounds very nice, and x2 on the high flow cats. How are the pillarless windows in the winter/snow?

OT:
...And no, I don't think the 330Ci has a top speed limiter like more powerful BMW's do. :D

Actually, US and UK ones do for sure- mine is limited to 155MPH (~250KPH) and TG often finds the same electronic barrier.

Windows are a bit fragile, if it gets really cold they tend to freeze and not roll down. Pillarless design is not a problem though, no issues with ice, wind seal or anything.

I was driving my dad's W203 estate yesterday (for 6 hours) and got a reminder how awesome the window configuration in this car is. In that C-class I was looking into the blind spot over my left elbow and all I could see is the B pillar. Getting out of that car and into the E Coupe you realize the view is truly panoramic.

Totally hilarious video :lol:
How long did you make him to stand there?
Actually, US and UK ones do for sure- mine is limited to 155MPH (~250KPH) and TG often finds the same electronic barrier.
Interesting. Maybe the pre-facelift 5 speed didn't have the limiter?
I don't know for sure but my old 2002 330Ci did go 260 km/h on gps.
My 335i meets the limiter when the speedo is pointing 259 km/h which I think would be about 250 km/h on gps.

Windows are a bit fragile, if it gets really cold they tend to freeze and not roll down. Pillarless design is not a problem though, no issues with ice, wind seal or anything.

I was driving my dad's W203 estate yesterday (for 6 hours) and got a reminder how awesome the window configuration in this car is. In that C-class I was looking into the blind spot over my left elbow and all I could see is the B pillar. Getting out of that car and into the E Coupe you realize the view is truly panoramic.

I'm quite jealous, I must admit. Pillarless windows are so elegant and useful to boot. I must buy a W123 (or W124) coupe one of these days.

Interesting. Maybe the pre-facelift 5 speed didn't have the limiter?
I don't know for sure but my old 2002 330Ci did go 260 km/h on gps.
My 335i meets the limiter when the speedo is pointing 259 km/h which I think would be about 250 km/h on gps.

Odd- apparently the 155 MPH/250KPH "gentlemen's agreement" that BMW is a part of has been around since the E36 era, although it is entirely possible that the limiter wasn't functioning or if aftermarket ECU or wheels were used, it could naturally raise the limiter. I believe TG has tested a Merc that was supposedly limited that went beyond the 155MPH/250KPH mark.

Sauce: (Just use the find function for "155" and it'll bring up the E36 M3.)
http://www.autozine.org/Classiccar/html/BMW/M3.html

Odd- apparently the 155 MPH/250KPH "gentlemen's agreement" that BMW is a part of has been around since the E36 era, although it is entirely possible that the limiter wasn't functioning or if aftermarket ECU or wheels were used, it could naturally raise the limiter. I believe TG has tested a Merc that was supposedly limited that went beyond the 155MPH/250KPH mark.

Sauce: (Just use the find function for "155" and it'll bring up the E36 M3.)
http://www.autozine.org/Classiccar/html/BMW/M3.html
Maybe they didn't use the limiter on cars which shouldn't go 155 mph or was so close that they didn't think it would be needed? The European E36 M3 is noticeably more powerful.
Oh well, maybe this isn't the right thread to discuss about it.

That's not good. I think you won though.

Is the body bent or is it just cosmetic?

Chassis is bent and at least 5 body panels ruined, no info on what happened under the hood yet, but the car is is most likely totaled. I'll be on a lookout for a 500 or 560 SEC.

Damn those Ford drivers. She didn't notice the star on your bonnet?
Maybe you should try the spirit of ecstasy next time.

Sorry to see your car got whacked, looked like a good one too! :(

Damn those Ford drivers. She didn't notice the star on your bonnet?
Maybe you should try the spirit of ecstasy next time.

Judging by the way she was shivering having realized she'd hit a man driving a Merc, I'll stick with the big three-pointed star.

Seriously though, no one was hurt, she (in her 20's) was coming from the left and didn't look where she was about to go. And I had right of way. So basically she was going like 5 km/h, while I was doing the speed limit which was 60 km/h, minus braking and swerving obviously. I find it fantastically satisfying that the thing went through what can only be considered a reasonably major crash for a car of over 15 years of age, and still I (and my passenger) walked away as well, or better off than the 2009 econobox driver.

Last edited:
:(

Now what you need to do is find a good condition 190E and drop the engine/trans into it for a miniature 190E AMG 3.2..

My mom has a good condition 190E lol.
Trouble is, I'd like to see a modification like that pass inspection.