New Jersey drivers under 21 required to affix red sticker to cars

This is on the same level of making absolutely no sense that's currently occupied by Ohio's yellow license plates for convicted drunk drivers. What meaningful purpose does it serve other than to profile? What am I supposed to do when I see one of these markers? How are they going to make me, or any other member of the population, any safer?

Here's a thought: instead of wasting taxpayer money on ridiculous 'solutions' that only make politicians look better for trying to protect their communities, how about the government spend that money on something that will actually make a difference. Meaningful driver education, for example. Not just the standard driving around with an instructor in the passenger seat but teach the kids skills they might actually need sometime. Like skid recovery, evasive maneuvers, or even just bad weather driving. They teach these skills in motorcycle safety courses and I've used them on more than one occasion while riding, and not because I ride like a blithering idiot but because even with careful driving dangerous situations present themselves. It's when kids need these skills the most that they end up dead and other kids end up with stupid and unjustified restrictions.

And having the red sticker mandatory for anyone over 18 is just ludacrous. An 18 year old is just as much an adult as a 48 year old. They should be treated no differently.

In all fairness, getting your opinion of New Jersey from The Jersey Shore is like getting your opinion of America from Fox News.

Okay, the whole state isn't EXACTLY like that, but it's similar levels of fail and faggotry throughout the whole state. Seriously. I've been there.

Also, I'm going to go buy a few dozen sheets of red stickers, take a trip to the Hell State and paper EVERY plate I can find. There are a lot of Jersey plates in this town going to college, so they're mostly young enough to need these, so I can easily get the sticker specs.

Also, it's the only state in the union where in order to leave the state, you MUST pay a toll.

Illinois is the same way. I39/90 you have to pay a toll to cross into Wisconsin. And Illinois is very restrictive to drivers under 21, also. Being a seasoned driver and reflecting on when I was 16, I can see the good in it.
However, like many other comments, I agree that a red sticker will not make roads safer. Personally, I think raising the legal driving age to 18 will. I will not be surprised if Illinois will be the first to pass that law. That and, you know, better training. :roll:

Illinois is the same way. I39/90 you have to pay a toll to cross into Wisconsin.
I mean EVERY road. Even off-highway, there's no way to get out without a toll. I've examined every crossing via Google Earth to verify this.

Illinois is the same way. I39/90 you have to pay a toll to cross into Wisconsin. And Illinois is very restrictive to drivers under 21, also. Being a seasoned driver and reflecting on when I was 16, I can see the good in it.
However, like many other comments, I agree that a red sticker will not make roads safer. Personally, I think raising the legal driving age to 18 will. I will not be surprised if Illinois will be the first to pass that law. That and, you know, better training. :roll:

Actually NYC has a minimum legal driving age as 18. You can get a junior license in 16 and you can get a real license at 17 if you took a driver's ed course in High School but that's usually alot more troublesome than just getting a permit at 18 and passing a test. Makes sense cars are hardly necessary here.

I don't like this idea, because if a car is used by other people older than the age intended for it does give police a reason to stop and search a person that otherwise they may not be able to.

Agreed, also the stickers are WAY too generic....I guarantee that only stupid people are going to pay for the real one when they can cut a piece of red electrical tape that does the same thing.

Also, where are the senior driver stickers?[
The possibilities of that EVER happening here in America are nil. Politicians count on the older demographic to vote, provide campaign money, etc.. To even do so much as ruffle a feather of these constituents would be political suicide. They don't have to worry about that for people our age..who are usually: A. poor (esp college kids) B. Busy...too busy to keep up with news like this (which is a shame really...one should really try to know the news that shapes their lives) and C. Not politically aware (another bad/sad thing...) Thus, silly laws like this are enacted to make the older generations feel better about themselves and to let politicians say they are doing it "for the children." (which is how Australia's Govt. is portraying their internet filtering thing they are trying to do)

Never mind providing funding for better school based driving instruction...that would make way too much sense, esp. when such programs are being axed at a record clip. Just yesterday a school in my area said they might have to stop doing that due to a huge budget sinkhole.

Last edited:
it's amazing how many perfect young drivers there are though you guys have to agree

*is trying to detect sarcasm....probably failing:? :blush: *

If you are being sarcastic, I don't doubt there are plenty of young drivers that are shitty beyond belief, but more stringent testing for all drivers at every license renewal, along with more professional classroom training for the 16-20 crowd could make the roads a better place for everyone. :burnrubber:

If you aren't, I'll also agree, there are definitely good young drivers as well.

Last edited:
L plates are for people 16 and over who do not have a license but are "learning" and being instructed by a fully licensed driver. For a L plate driver at 16 years, they need to hold the L plate for at least 2 years before they can go for their license (and depending on the state they need to rack up a certain number of hours).
Once they get their license, for the first 4 years (in Victoria) they need to put a P plate on their car to indicate they are probationary drivers.
There are restrictions for both L and P plate drivers.

7806390001_large.jpg

r92029_275254.jpg

NSW is slightly different, and I would just like to point out the system is more based on minimum hours for learners (120 in NSW), not time (although you must hold the licence for at least 1 year). Also in NSW, you hold you P1 licence (after you L's, called 'red P's" colloquially) for 1 year, do a computer test and then hold your P2 licence ("green P's") 2 years. So if you are on this system and upgrade your licence after the minimum time, you are on your "black" (unrestricted licence) when you hit 20. P2 is less restricted then P1 (no passenger curfews, speed restriction limit is higher) and such. But you still have a big "Hey, police, tail me for 3 kilometres and wait for me to trip up so you can book me!" flag on your car (and yes, I have been talied by police- once for 15 minutes :() and a 0 BAC limit (which i am fine with and think should be blanketed across all licence classes). System isn't too bad though, it could be a lot better though.

Good idea - 'kids' usually can not drive very well - their threat perception is crap.

Disagree 100% in my case- I consider myself pretty much so the safest driver I know- I never speed (save for about 1km/h over the limit in my sister's car, which accelerates quicker than mine), I never drink before driving, I refuse to do any illegal manouvers to go around people (I would rather wait and be safe) and often when my parents are driving I will spot hazards and be mentally going "brake, brake, BRAKE!!!!!!" long before they will. The only thing I am guilty of is occasionally getting mentally distracted by other issues in my life whilst driving and swearing about other drivers under my breath. I also believe young drivers are much more aware of road rules (eg indicating left when you exit a roundabout, nobody over 25 does that around here) than older drivers purely because there is no incentive/requirement to check them once you get your full licence. Unfortunately, I know young drivers like me (and I'm not boasting about my driving abilities here, just that I know I am a safe driver) are extremely rare. Fortunately, I know quite a few of them.
Although given what happened today I don't feel entirely comfortable defending young drivers.

it's amazing how many perfect young drivers there are though you guys have to agree

... very few, sadly. There needs to be more emphasis on decent, proper training and less on revenue raising (i.e. lots of stupid computer simulator tests that cost $30 just to attempt and teach you/test nothing). Sadly, don't see that happening. Kids will just continue to be taught by their parents (most of the time), who often have forgotten road rules and developed bad habits, then think they are invincible and give everybody a bad name so anybody with a "P plate" on their car is abused by the general community/targeted excessively by the police (which wouldn't need to happen if the problem of being taught bad driving skills was fixed by the government, but noooo, putting money into driver training isn't a good policy!)

Sorry if I seemed angry at anybody here, I'm in a really horrid mood at the moment. Think i'll go play some more Pokemon and watch tv.

edit- sorry for the typos as well, can't be bothered to check for any more.

Last edited:
Like we need another reason to avoid New Jersey.

Also, they already have a system for knowing who all the bad drivers are. They all have yellow license plates.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BlaRo again.

BLAST!

Oh, and there is no such thing as a good young driver. They are all dumb and reckless, some just get lucky. I've done a fair share of stupid ass shit over the first two or so years of getting my license... had a few close calls where I was playing with death... sure taught me a lesson or two. Every single driver I know, without exception, has done something stupid when they first started driving. That's just what happens.

Last edited:
^ umm, excuse me? Read my post above you. I am not "dumb and reckless", thankyou very much. The only stupid stuff I have done was when I started out and accidentally, and I didn't crash or anything. Don't characterise everybody by your own experiences/mistakes.

^ umm, excuse me? Read my post above you. I am not "dumb and reckless", thankyou very much. The only stupid stuff I have done was when I started out and accidentally, and I didn't crash or anything. Don't characterise everybody by your own experiences/mistakes.
You're 18. When I was 18 I thought I was a great driver too. Also, in your previous post you admitted to inattention; and strictly following speed limits being "best" is debatable, but I wont get into that.

^ No, I know I am a safe driver. I did not once say good/great. How do i know I am a safe driver? I've done an advanced safety skills course where the instructors have told me I was a safe driver to begin with. Nearly everybody who has been in the car whilst I was driving has said so too. Also,

- When did I say "strictly"????????? I said I do not speed. That does not mean I hit 60 as fast as I can and stick to it like glue, rain or shine, day or night, hazard or no. I adapt my speed to match the conditions. I have been taught how to by professionals and I follow those rules I was taught well.
- Please don't compare me to you based on a few lines I have written on the internet. I am a different person to who you are (examples based on the few things I know about you and what you wrote above)- female (statistically a safer driver at a young age) and in no way EVER think/have thought I am a great driver. I always look for ways to improve my driving skills, hence why i do safe driving courses.
- Everybody has flaws- because I "admitted to inattention" (I believe my words were "mentally distracted", which I consider to be different- I am still keeping my eyes on the road, listening for potential hazards, etc but I am not putting 100% of my mind to the cause of driving- I admit that isn't great, but I have improved recently with this, especially since I did my course), I am not a safe driver anymore? I can think of a lot worse driving-related flaws.

Please don't put words into my mouth, and don't judge me based on age or anything like that. Every time somebody has ever done that to me (no matter what the issue) they have been told very similar things to what I have said above. And I will argue this into the ground again and again because it is a very passionate issue for me.

Reactions: TC
And I won't argue with you at all. You can think whatever you want but I'm not going to waste my time (or yours, for that matter) arguing over this. If we're both still on FG in two years or so, we'll discuss this again and see who was right.

^ I don't need to prove who's "right" now or any time in the future thanks. I know who I am and what I do, and that's what matters to me. But agreed, discussion over.

Already ordered one for the Kadett (which right now has a red one despite being petrol). One of the three stickers that will go on it.

This sticker thing may be a good idea for a few months after they pass their test, especially in America, where, forgive me if I'm wrong, there is very little training before a young driver can go out and drive around on their own. But having them till age 21 is pointless, not because it "attracts predators", thats bullshit, but because it unfairly segregates young drivers. As brydiem said, here in NSW you have to have P-plates on your car for 3 years after you pass your test. If anything, it makes P-plates more encouraged to do something wrong, because I have seen many times, people see another car with a P-plate and immediately try to get into a race. Police also tend to pick on P-platers. There may be an argument to have a notice that a driver may not be completely experienced, but I think it should be for 6 months at most, especially here where the driver has had 1 year supervised training with L-plates before they are allowed to drive on their own. Having something that singles them out is more trouble than its worth, especially when by age 20 they (usually) are just as experienced and sensible as any other driver on the road.

*is trying to detect sarcasm....probably failing:? :blush: *

If you are being sarcastic, I don't doubt there are plenty of young drivers that are shitty beyond belief, but more stringent testing for all drivers at every license renewal, along with more professional classroom training for the 16-20 crowd could make the roads a better place for everyone. :burnrubber:

If you aren't, I'll also agree, there are definitely good young drivers as well.

what I'm getting at is that lots of young people liken themselves to the next michael schumaker and generally end up putting their car into a tree.