Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

That's a Cadillac Series 60 doing burnouts. It is your duty to cross post in the awesome thread.

Feel free to do so. :D

On an unrelated note. Clicky

1282786204310.jpg

It's the only way I'll look more like an '80s yuppie. I need it.

The yuppies didn't buy the 500E so much, though. Most of them that had that kind of money and wanted a Merc bought an S-class Coupe or S-class sedan. Those that didn't have the money bought a 400E or lesser Merc.

More often than not, they bought the Porsche engine in a Porsche car, which is why the 944 sold extremely well then. It was even immortalized in a David & David song (back in 1986), which rather mocked the yuppies of the 80s. The 944 was the iconic yuppie car of that era, and much like the yuppies of that time it didn't last either.

Ms. Cristina drives a nine four four
Satisfaction oozes from her pores
She keeps rings on her fingers
Marble on her floor
Cocaine on her dresser
Bars on her doors
She keeps her back against the wall...

Last edited:
So I got a GREAT offer on a classic 1966 Porsche 912 recently. It turns out that this car was a daily driver that was parked and covered in a garage for the last 10 years...and the owner wants to sell it to me for $1500!

Yeah, I'm buying it :)

Oh, and here's some pics of said Porsche:
In the garage:
46mZ8.jpg

Taken out and rinsed off:
LwiSy.jpg

O4txt.jpg

And the nearly perfect interior:
NWfvP.jpg

Ma8fH.jpg

By the way, this car has no rust either. WHAT A DEAL!

I am damn jealous.

Yeah, it's pretty much all original & stock. The only changes that I know of on the car are the windshield wipers, steering wheel, and a repaint. The original parts are still with the car (in the trunk), and will be reinstalled.

It was originally Aga Blue. I'll likely return it to that color, too.

Looks like all those miles of desert driving has taken their toll; the X needs three new U-joints and a new rear drive shaft. Nissan didn't build the vehicle with Zerk points on the u-joints and the rear drive shaft's slip-yolk is not serviceable and welded on. I'm fixing all this. I'm installing new u-joints that are equipped with Zerk points AND getting a custom rear drive shaft made that removes the slip-yolk for a fourth serviceable u-joint (with Zerk point).

Nissan, this is how you should have done it at the factory, please pay attention, there will be a quiz later.

Looks like all those miles of desert driving has taken their toll; the X needs three new U-joints and a new rear drive shaft. Nissan didn't build the vehicle with Zerk points on the u-joints and the rear drive shaft's slip-yolk is not serviceable and welded on. I'm fixing all this. I'm installing new u-joints that are equipped with Zerk points AND getting a custom rear drive shaft made that removes the slip-yolk for a fourth serviceable u-joint (with Zerk point).

Nissan, this is how you should have done it at the factory, please pay attention, there will be a quiz later.

So far so good on the U-joint upgrades, but last I checked, the XTerra is SRA and needs some sort of expansion/contraction capability for the rear driveline to allow for the axle's vertical motion changing the distance between the T-case and the differential drive flange. Simply replacing the slip yoke with a U-joint isn't going to solve that, in fact you'll shatter the U-joint the first time you go over a hard bump and the suspension travels. What are you planning to use to allow for travel?

I just called the shop and left a message for them to call me tomorrow and mentioned your concern. How is it that other solid rear axle vehicles get away with all u-joints then if you need that much play in the drive shaft?

Either they have an expansion joint (CV, telescope or something else) in the middle of the shaft, a long slip yoke at the trans/t-case end or a long slip yoke at the diff end (rare).

Got a pic of the stock driveshaft? I have an idea but need to see if yours is similar to the one on my Pathfinder.

Last edited:
I am getting a custom shaft made, so they probably build that expansion into the shaft itself.

Stock shaft slip-yolk joint:

OK, yeah, that's not exactly a slip-yoke in the sense of other makers. They're using drive flanges on both, I'd guess, so you can't use the traditional type yoke.

This is a classic Ford slip yoke - it slips right into the transmission or T case. My old Pathfinder used something similar.
mmfp_1102_13_+ford_2011_mustang_gt_transmission_swap+_slip_yoke_driveshaft.jpg

Sometimes they do it something similar to yours where the slip yoke is in the middle of the shaft. In which case, your best bet is to replace it with something that can be serviced without replacing the driveshaft. Personally, I'd simply adapt in in something like this later Ford type unit.

F250-SlipYoke03.jpg

Something where you can dismount the slip yoke and replace it and the associated U joint easily. Usually want it so the yoke itself wears and not the spline.

Make sure your builders know that they have to incorporate something like that. They don't assume that you don't have something else taking care of the problem.

I had a look at the base model Mini today, to see how it stacked up to the DS3. Also had a look at the Audi A1. Mini is nice, but compared to the DS3 very overpriced. The A1 is severely disappointing - no reason you'd pick it over a Polo IMO. This has at least allowed me to make a judgement on different dealers. The Audi dealer was terrible and refused to acknowledge my existence. The BMW dealer on the other hand was great - very friendly and helpful. I also stopped by a Ford dealer just to stack up what sort of Focus I could get for the same money.

The Ford dealer had a Jaguar S-Type in the forecourt, so out of interest I had a little geese. The interior reminded me of an old Ford Fairmont Ghia. While I imagine it would be a nice cruiser, it didn't feel as special as my friends W210 E320 Elegance, for instance.