Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

So I got a GREAT offer on a classic 1966 Porsche 912 recently. It turns out that this car was a daily driver that was parked and covered in a garage for the last 10 years...and the owner wants to sell it to me for $1500!

Yeah, I'm buying it :)
Wow. The pics speak volumes, that's sounds and looks like a great deal.

Sometimes they do it something similar to yours where the slip yoke is in the middle of the shaft. In which case, your best bet is to replace it with something that can be serviced without replacing the driveshaft. Personally, I'd simply adapt in in something like this later Ford type unit.

Something where you can dismount the slip yoke and replace it and the associated U joint easily. Usually want it so the yoke itself wears and not the spline.

Agreed, the serviceable mid-shaft slip yoke style is ideal. I have the Ford-style on on mine (stock) and it work fine with my driveline lengths and angles, but if you have a shorter shaft or greater angles it starts to put force on the transfer case output shaft and can cause vibrations.

Greasable vs non-greasable U-joints is usually a personal preference thing, the non-greasable ones tend to be stronger but don't last as long as a properly-maintained greaseable unit. I use greaseable ones for my rear shaft and pinion end of my front shaft, and non-greasable Spicer ones in my front double-cardan joint due to clearance issues.

Yeah, it's pretty much all original & stock. The only changes that I know of on the car are the windshield wipers, steering wheel, and a repaint.
*cough* Door mirror *cough* :p

In all seriousness though that looks great, I'm going to assume you missed a digit off the price though... A ?1000 Porsche 912?

That... Just... No, can't be right...

Classic Porsche in great cosmetic condition for $1500? Does it run? :p

Guess what happens if you sit on the cell phone and yakk for two light cycles and I'm stuck behind you in my truck?

Yup, you get pushed through the intersection the next time the light turns green. :evil: :mrgreen:
Of course, the vehicle had actually run out of gas and the occupant was more than happy to have help getting it out of the way of traffic. She'd been on the phone to someone to help her, apparently.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that as part of my birthday and for our holiday to Cornwall my parents put me on the insurance for their Lolvo V50 2.0D for a couple of weeks. The torque is...existent... :lol: Haven't decided if its better than the Saab yet but it's definitely nicer than Roo. :p

Went and paid the annual registration/license/road tax for the 919 - $42.00 and nine minutes, including time spent waiting in line. :D

^ One thing I like about the DVLA is that everything can be done online. No waiting or even forms 'lost' in the post. :p

And just over 120 miles breezed through in the Lolvo. HMS Saab was certainly more comfortable and cushy, but I'm liking the torque in this. Only thing is a high pitched whine coming from what I assume is the turbo under acceleration. :|

^ One thing I like about the DVLA is that everything can be done online. No waiting or even forms 'lost' in the post. :p

That can be done here, too - but only if you remembered to do it before it expired. :p I forgot and it ran out at the end of March, so I had to go get the sticker in person.

Also, turbo whistle is a good thing.

Last edited:
d33.jpg

On today's '80s want: Link

Last edited:
Considering getting another replacement fender. This one is from the same donor car from which I got the front panel and the driver's door; the fender on the car right now was stupid cheap but it shows. This needs a lick of black paint as well, but then there wouldn't be a shade difference as compared to the front panel, hood or driver's door.

*cough* Door mirror *cough* :p

In all seriousness though that looks great, I'm going to assume you missed a digit off the price though... A ?1000 Porsche 912?

That... Just... No, can't be right...

Oh yeah...the door mirrors. That'll be corrected, too. LOL
And nope....The price was indeed only $1500!

Classic Porsche in great cosmetic condition for $1500? Does it run? :p

Yeah, I was taken aback by the offered price and jumped on it. At this point I'm not going to say it runs, but it did run well and was used as a reliable daily driver when it was parked and stored in the garage 10 years ago. I don't want to try starting it until I go through the car to ensure everything is fine first (drain/flush all fluids, bleed the brakes, charge or swap the battery, check the carbs/gaskets/plugs/belts/etc).

Last edited:
Guess what happens if you sit on the cell phone and yakk for two light cycles and I'm stuck behind you in my truck?

Yup, you get pushed through the intersection the next time the light turns green. :evil: :mrgreen:
Of course, the vehicle had actually run out of gas and the occupant was more than happy to have help getting it out of the way of traffic. She'd been on the phone to someone to help her, apparently.

while that's totally understandable and even commendable, isn't it also ridiculously illegal? Is here, from what I gather

Nope, pushing someone with your vehicle is surprisingly not illegal here. :D

The difference is that Specter has a cattleguard on the front of his truck, and the truck infront of him has a metal back bumper, so no damage.

Do that with 2 normal cars and you end up with 2 broken plastic bumpers, or an ecobox stuck under the front bumper in my case......resulting in people getting angry for some reason.

while that's totally understandable and even commendable, isn't it also ridiculously illegal? Is here, from what I gather

To be fair, what isn't illegal in Belgium?

From what I've gathered, he probably could've shot the truck in front and be golden.