Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I'm in Luzerne (Lucerne) Switzerland for a wedding, and the car selection here is interesting. Lots of the typical euroboxes and debadged Germans, but a surprising selection of American cars: XJ and Fiat-based Cherokees, a Coyote 5.0 Mustang, a 60s Camaro, and a Pontiac Grand Am. Also, a genuine Renault Sport Spider.

I'm into Benz Coupes (C208 & 209) since a while now and test drove a CLK C208 today.
Have to say, I do like it. It's not really sporty, but it doesn't have to be.

It's not a perfect car, and I shouldn't buy it, but for some weird reasons I want it...
It will probably be a bad dicision and I need counter arguments.
Anyone with experiences and reports of that car?

I'm into Benz Coupes (C208 & 209) since a while now and test drove a CLK C208 today.
Have to say, I do like it. It's not really sporty, but it doesn't have to be.

It's not a perfect car, and I shouldn't buy it, but for some weird reasons I want it...
It will probably be a bad dicision and I need counter arguments.
Anyone with experiences and reports of that car?

With these kinds of cars I would say lease it, give it back at the end. Maintenance is way too expensive (IMO ofc) to keep it for a while but it's reasonable to keep it for 3 years and enjoy it while everything is under warranty.

I'm in Luzerne (Lucerne) Switzerland for a wedding, and the car selection here is interesting. Lots of the typical euroboxes and debadged Germans, but a surprising selection of American cars: XJ and Fiat-based Cherokees, a Coyote 5.0 Mustang, a 60s Camaro, and a Pontiac Grand Am. Also, a genuine Renault Sport Spider.

For some reason, the Swiss have a weird fetish for American cars, including crappy Malaise Era ones...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/04/switzerland-loves-old-american-cars/

With these kinds of cars I would say lease it, give it back at the end. Maintenance is way too expensive (IMO ofc) to keep it for a while but it's reasonable to keep it for 3 years and enjoy it while everything is under warranty.

The one I tested is from a dealership and it seems to be well-maintained, only 113.000 kms, first hand and gapless checkbook. It's a 230 Kompressor. It drove quite well, not tired at all. Was even pleasantly surprised about the 5 speed gear box of which I've just read bad things about. Also, the C208 is dead cheap right now, that's why the one I looked at was in quite a good condition for a small price.
Yes, a Benz is expensive, I know. I had an E39 528i for half a year but sold it at the beginning of this year because I didn't really need it. You know, the thing is, I don't actually need a car, but I want one. And I can easily afford a normal one, since I don't drive it daily (don't need one to get to my workplace), just for fun or when I'm visiting friends. I sold it because I wanted to save some more money but right now it's really itching my fingers and I need one again ...

Last edited:
GM continues to test prototypes in Pittsburgh. Another resident on reddit took these pictures of what appear to be CTS-V and 2nd gen Volt prototypes:

Hh82xsq.jpg

0PELv9d.jpg

JDbLD0q.jpg

iBuIh4B.jpg

I see a Subaru station wagon in your future.

That's absolutely a possibility. I just wish they could be had without AWD. Since I would never use it, I feel like I'm still paying for it and that bugs me.

I also wish I could just get a Legacy wagon, without it having to be a Legacy Outback. It doesn't seem that way anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I totally respect the Mirage as a value proposition (durability aside). However, I enjoy driving too much for "fine", "good enough" and "you don't really need anything more" to fill my "want" gap.

Also, I will often be driving with 3 passengers, and or pieces of furniture in my car. I really do need more power than "I manage fine" if I don't want to get run over by can drivers. The longer wheelbase is also an important consideration with roads as bad as San Francisco's.
Well in that case the mirage isn't a solution either. Golf GTI because powah and practicality?

That's absolutely a possibility. I just wish they could be had without AWD. Since I would never use it, I feel like I'm still paying for it and that bugs me.

I also wish I could just get a Legacy wagon, without it having to be a Legacy Outback. It doesn't seem that way anymore.

Actually there is no Legacy Outback anymore or a Legacy Wagon for that matter, also no more manual in the Legacy range or a turbo, they definitely dropped the family sport sedan/wagon pretention they used to have. I get your point on AWD, it helps in the rain and such but yeah if there is no snow it's a bit pointless. The Crosstrek might be something up your alley it's the old Impreza Outback Sport with a new name basically. It sux that the wagon market in the US is in the state that it is, you either go German (and pay big money for name and maintenance) or you are stuck with cross overs.

- - - Updated - - -

Well in that case the mirage isn't a solution either. Golf GTI because powah and practicality?

And massive repair bills that will come sooner rather than later. Also if he is looking at Legacy wagons GTI is way too small.

They don't offer the Golf Estate in the US. The Jetta SportWagen is the closest you can get.
EDIT: Nevermind, they're apparently the same thing. :?

Last edited:
Yeah, they renamed it for the US I think for the next year.

I don't (personally) know a single person who has owned a German car in the US that would buy it again. If they leased, they would line up for another one. Once the warranty is out, they regretted the ownership experience. BMW 7 series, Merc E, Mini, Golf, GTI and Jetta...while they loved them while they were new, none of them got another one as their next car. The replacements in the same order: Lexus LS, Cadillac SRX, Juke, MaZda 3, Acura ILX, and Ford Fusion (then an Accord)

Having sat inside a Lexus and then sitting in a bmw, I'd choose the Lexus, it's quite nice. The Lexus felt more welcoming.

I love how insurance ads try to disguise the cars...there's no way that "generic car" is a gray last gen Hyundai Sonata with duct tape strategically placed over part of the headlamps...no sir!

I love how insurance ads try to disguise the cars...there's no way that "generic car" is a gray 2 gens old Hyundai Sonata with duct tape strategically placed over part of the headlamps...no sir!

Yeah, they renamed it for the US I think for the next year.

I don't (personally) know a single person who has owned a German car in the US that would buy it again. If they leased, they would line up for another one. Once the warranty is out, they regretted the ownership experience. BMW 7 series, Merc E, Mini, Golf, GTI and Jetta...while they loved them while they were new, none of them got another one as their next car. The replacements in the same order: Lexus LS, Cadillac SRX, Juke, MaZda 3, Acura ILX, and Ford Fusion (then an Accord)

Add to that Der Stig's 330i. He's actively looking for a replacement now.

---

Just saw now that you wrote lease. Well, not planning on keeping it longer than a year so it wouldn't make a sense, besides the fact that a car that's older than ten years wouldn't probably be possible to lease. :) It's only worth a couple of grand anyway.

Last edited:
If they got his plates he in trooouble.

Just saw now that you wrote lease. Well, not planning on keeping it longer than a year so it wouldn't make a sense, besides the fact that a car that's older than ten years wouldn't probably be possible to lease. :) It's only worth a couple of grand anyway.

Thought you were looking new for some reason.

Both these cars are out of production. :lol: I'm not wealthy enough to buy a new car yet.

C208
1920px-Mercedes_CLK_Elegance_%28C208%29_Facelift_rear_20100507.jpg

C209
Mercedes_CLK_rear_20071029.jpg

I was just asking if anybody has any experience with this car in terms of ownership.