Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I'm not sure if we even have a designation for MCAR. Also they don't always make much sense, my Mustang is classed as a compact despite being almost same size as a WRX

At the very least it should be down in E... I've been looking at US rentals recently for work reasons, C often is quoted as "Focus or similar". I'd be pissed if expecting something shaped like a Focus but got a 500.
As for M, you'd need that if it's possible to rent things like a ForTwo (not saying you should rent one!)... if only to make sure someone renting E (or even C) doesn't get forced into a ForTwo. Might indeed not be a thing in the US though.
As for the Moosetang, it makes some sense to class that as C if in hardtop guise - if you're going by usability, two doors to start with or how many adults you can get in. As a convertible I've rented that under S, and it makes a lot of sense there... but if you book hardtop S you usually don't expect a two-door. The other letters should be used for that, for example the GTI I had in September was CSMR rather than the CCMR of a regular Golf.

Yeah, using old Brits as a standard is a great way of spreading FUD :rolleyes:
British cars, being twitchy about their fuel supply, will actually show signs *first*. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen to other vehicles.

https://www.motorists.org/blog/problems-with-old-gas/

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/04/09/aa.bad.gas/

Thanks to the ethanol mandate, EPA regulations regarding regional fuel formulations (the 'boutique blend' stupidity) and other factors - yes, US gas *can* start going 'off' in two weeks or less, especially if it's been humid and warm in your area as ethanol is ridiculously hygroscopic.

No. The battery is the storage tank for the electricity, so it is just putting a 22 gallon tank to replace the stock 16 gallon tank. But, heavy duty batteries are often found in a vehicle that has some electrical issue to overcome the problem.

I see, thanks. Battery in my scoob bit the dust the other day and due to life reasons I couldn't work on it myself so I dropped it off at my mechanic's who took a few days and replaced it with an HD battery but now it has strange issues with engine intermittently dipping into almost stall territory at idle and even while driving it will sometimes act as if it has no power and can't rev. Guess it's going back to him, shitty part is that his not open till Monday and I really wanted the car back by then.

- - - Updated - - -

At the very least it should be down in E... I've been looking at US rentals recently for work reasons, C often is quoted as "Focus or similar". I'd be pissed if expecting something shaped like a Focus but got a 500.
As for M, you'd need that if it's possible to rent things like a ForTwo (not saying you should rent one!)... if only to make sure someone renting E (or even C) doesn't get forced into a ForTwo. Might indeed not be a thing in the US though.
As for the Moosetang, it makes some sense to class that as C if in hardtop guise - if you're going by usability, two doors to start with or how many adults you can get in. As a convertible I've rented that under S, and it makes a lot of sense there... but if you book hardtop S you usually don't expect a two-door. The other letters should be used for that, for example the GTI I had in September was CSMR rather than the CCMR of a regular Golf.

You lost me dude :p

British cars, being twitchy about their fuel supply, will actually show signs *first*. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen to other vehicles.

https://www.motorists.org/blog/problems-with-old-gas/

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/04/09/aa.bad.gas/

Thanks to the ethanol mandate, EPA regulations regarding regional fuel formulations (the 'boutique blend' stupidity) and other factors - yes, US gas *can* start going 'off' in two weeks or less, especially if it's been humid and warm in your area as ethanol is ridiculously hygroscopic.

He's expecting to return to freezing temperatures, so warm and humid won't be an issue. Having a lesser-ventilated fuel tank than the old Brits you linked to will reduce the water issue further. I'm not saying there is never any issue, just that a month won't be a problem.

As for your links, the first says "perhaps a few months" while the second says "a coupe [sic] of months" - so yeah, he'll be fine for a month.

- - - Updated - - -

You lost me dude :p

TL;DR: A Fiat 500 shouldn't be CCAR at all.

He's expecting to return to freezing temperatures, so warm and humid won't be an issue. Having a lesser-ventilated fuel tank than the old Brits you linked to will reduce the water issue further. I'm not saying there is never any issue, just that a month won't be a problem.

As for your links, the first says "perhaps a few months" while the second says "a coupe [sic] of months" - so yeah, he'll be fine for a month.

A lot depends on which boutique blend he's on - he could also return to frozen fuel lines.

Point is, if he spends a whopping $6.74 he won't have to worry about it at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Why can't Subaru get their headgaskets right?

Because water cooled boxer type engines are abnormally hard to get headgaskets right on; Porsche has also had some issues in this direction in recent years. Subaru's packaging of the engine doesn't help either. Motorcycle boxers seem to do considerably better than car boxer engines though, possibly due to better airflow and cooling.

How does one fit those on an NA? It must look like a donk.

I am guesstimating the size, but it was BIG. And indeed looked like a donk. D:
It annoyed me because NAs are really rare and fitting huge wheels feels so wrong in a car supposed to be about handling and lightness.

What happened?

I see, thanks. Battery in my scoob bit the dust the other day and due to life reasons I couldn't work on it myself so I dropped it off at my mechanic's who took a few days and replaced it with an HD battery but now it has strange issues with engine intermittently dipping into almost stall territory at idle and even while driving it will sometimes act as if it has no power and can't rev. Guess it's going back to him, shitty part is that his not open till Monday and I really wanted the car back by then.

I had a recent issue having taken my vehicle in for repair too. Had my alternator replaced and they had to unhook the wiper arm that connects to the motor. Well, they did not hook it back up and I was on the road when it started to rain. Luckily, I had a pair of channel locks to reattach it.

Hopefully, yours is just a minor issue too.

To me, it sounds like something in the ignition is old/dying. Would make sense that it came up after replacing an old battery. When was the last time the sparkplugs/wires were replaced?

To me, it sounds like something in the ignition is old/dying. Would make sense that it came up after replacing an old battery. When was the last time the sparkplugs/wires were replaced?
I don't think you are far off, if guess something that the computer had learned was lost when the battery died. Something like a dirty MAF, maybe?

I reserved economy. In the past I've always managed to get different class and larger cars for the economy price lol.

I just had one nonchalantly walk in-front of me. I was doing about 70 at the time, I managed to avoid it. My phone flew into the passenger footwell.

That is deeply irritating. Birds of any sort seem to have suicidal tendencies.I don't actually swerve to dodge them. more like scream "Duck!" and not slam on the brakes so that I don't inadvertently turn my car into a plow.

The problem is where I go for work. They always have economy cars available. So I've stepped up to intermediate so that my crap fits in the car without having to put a dirty snow/slushed pelican case on the back seat.

I am guesstimating the size, but it was BIG. And indeed looked like a donk. D:
It annoyed me because NAs are really rare and fitting huge wheels feels so wrong in a car supposed to be about handling and lightness.

Probably 17s, as that is the maximum you can put on an MX-5. But 18s are probably a possibility aswell.

Looks hideous

Eunos on Borbet A by Colin Warren, auf Flickr

untitled-63 by William Shaffer, auf Flickr

:?

Mazda MX-5 Miata (NA) by Justin Young Photography, auf Flickr

Anyone watch Loeb in the Paris - Dakar? Bloody hell that man can drive.

Oh and this - sad day for F1

Maria Teresa de Filippis, the first woman to race in a Formula 1 grand prix, has died aged 89.
The Italian started three grands prix for the Maserati team in 1958 with a best finish of 10th at Spa in Belgium.
She also failed to qualify for the 1958 Monaco Grand Prix along with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35272662

Probably 17s, as that is the maximum you can put on an MX-5. But 18s are probably a possibility aswell.
It looked like at least 18", but I might be wrong.