Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I think the SVX trans issue carried over to the rest, but there could be a continuing problem...

I would still rock an SVX.

Subaru with an auto is awful. The 4 EAT is a garbage gearbox. My dad had an '07 Legacy 2.5i with one and it was awful. If it had been a manual, it might have been fun. Also, the head gaskets went at about 100k and cost $3k for the service at the main dealer.

YouTube comments are hilarious.
"I am a Ford fan, but the engine on the Shelby GT350 left me disappointed. It makes no torque at all!"
:rolleyes:
:lol:

Well compared to the previous GT500 it's true, it also comes on later being an N/A motor

Y'all are talking about the wrong 2 door Subaru

2oS4FOv.jpg

YouTube comments are hilarious.
"I am a Ford fan, but the engine on the Shelby GT350 left me disappointed. It makes no torque at all!"
:rolleyes:

I wonder if he's driven either of the cars he's talking about... that was a rhetorical thought.

Well compared to the previous GT500 it's true, it also comes on later being an N/A motor

No, it's not true! I would be fine if he said "it produces less torque in low revs", but people throw around "it has no torque" like the thing is a damn 2-stroke motorcycle!
It has more torque at idle than my car is capable of producing (which is not saying much), and it's not like you really need to rev it to achieve the peak.

2016-Ford-Mustang-GT350R-dyno-chart.jpg

It's that damn mentality of "hurdur low end grunt hurdurdur" that gets on my nerves. Drive a fucking diesel truck then, you damn knuckle-dragging mouth-breather. :mad:
I wonder if he's driven either of the cars he's talking about... that was a rhetorical thought.

Yep.

Last edited:
No, it's not true! I would be fine if he said "it produces less torque in low revs", but people throw around "it has no torque" like the thing is a damn 2-stroke motorcycle!
It has more torque at idle than my car is capable of producing (which is not saying much), and it's not like you really need to rev it to achieve the peak.

2016-Ford-Mustang-GT350R-dyno-chart.jpg

It's that damn mentality of "hurdur low end grunt hurdurdur" that gets on my nerves. Drive a fucking diesel truck then, you damn knuckle-dragging mouth-breather. :mad:
lol tell us how you really feel! I don't disagree with you, they are also a somewhat different design philosophy. GT350 is a track monster with a high revving motor, 500 is pretty much a true muscle car. As a driver of a much slower car than either I can tell you that either one is way more than 90% of people can even handle much less make full use of.

lol tell us how you really feel! I don't disagree with you, they are also a somewhat different design philosophy. GT350 is a track monster with a high revving motor, 500 is pretty much a true muscle car. As a driver of a much slower car than either I can tell you that either one is way more than 90% of people can even handle much less make full use of.
Well, and I am not disagreeing with you either. I am glad Ford is taking the Mustang in this direction instead of focusing only on power and straight-line performance.

The 1-liter engine cars I had have no torque.
I'll even concede my own current car does not have enough torque, but saying that about a 5.2 liter V8 is asinine.

Well, and I am not disagreeing with you either. I am glad Ford is taking the Mustang in this direction instead of focusing only on power and straight-line performance.

The 1-liter engine cars I had have no torque.
I'll even concede my own current car does not have enough torque, but saying that about a 5.2 liter V8 is asinine.

It has some of the same problems at the 5th gen camaro though. A moderately optioned GT premium weighs well north of 3850lbs. For a sports car.

Yes, there are cases where the new mustang handles better, but for all the added refinement it winds up feeling bloated relative to the S197 cars. And in ecobloat form, it's really pretty awful to drive.

The 5.2, as far as I know, uses quite a few tricks to keep a fairly flat torque curve across the rev range, but weight is killer here, again. Carbon fiber wheels and a semi-exotic V8 to sell something that's marginally faster than an ATS-V or Camaro SS in a straight line?

FVFtvtK.jpg

:hmm:

Oh God. No. At least have it be like a normal 500 or an Abarth or something.

Last edited:
This should be amusing. And nauseating, as he "finds" all sorts of "neat, must have" features all over the horrible thing and has to describe them in nauseating detail to us. At least it's likely to be a rental.

This should be amusing. And nauseating, as he "finds" all sorts of "neat, must have" features all over the horrible thing and has to describe them in nauseating detail to us. At least it's likely to be a rental.

Do you still have an operative in the vicinity?

Do you still have an operative in the vicinity?

Yes. I've already sent a message.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh God. No. At least have it be like a normal 500 or an Abarth or something.

It's a regular 500, unless the 500L suddenly started shipping in 2 door form. It does, however, have the 1.Fail engine.

VIN:
3C3CFFAR2FT623809
WMI / VDS / VIS:
3C3 / CFFAR2 / FT623809
Make (Manufacturer):
Chrysler
Model year:
Manufactured in:
Mexico (North America)
Sequential number:
Body style:
HATCHBACK 2-DR
Brake - front:
Disc
Brake - rear:
Disc
Brake system:
4-Wheel ABS
Cargo volume:
9.50 cu. ft. / 269.0 liter
Consumption in the city:
27 miles/gallon / 8.7 liters/100 km
Consumption on the highway:
34 miles/gallon / 6.9 liters/100 km
Curb weight:
2363 lbs / 1074.1 kg
Driveline:
FWD
Engine type:
1.4L L4
Fuel tank:
10.50 gallon / 39.7 liter
Ground clearance:
4.10 in / 10.4 cm
Overall height:
59.80 in / 151.9 cm
Overall length:
139.60 in / 354.6 cm
Overall width:
64.10 in / 162.8 cm
Standard seating:
Steering Type:
R&P
Tires:
185/55R15
Trim level:
Pop Hatchback
Turning Diameter:
30.60 ft / 9.3 m
Warranty distance:
50 000 mile / 80 000 km
Warranty duration:
48 month
Wheelbase:
90.60 in / 230.1 cm

The VIN lookup seems to indicate it's a Pop aka base model. This has the potential to be amusing.

Last edited:
Get your barf bag ready!

Actually you may be surprised by my initial thoughts on the car in question having driven it 90 minutes this evening alone. Or not. More to come tomorrow.

I mean...at least the normal 500 should be good as a city car.

That depends on your definition of a city - and if you have to use highways to get around it. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Get your barf bag ready!

Actually you may be surprised by my initial thoughts on the car in question having driven it 90 minutes this evening alone. Or not. More to come tomorrow.

Just one question: Did you remember to get the full LDW on it?

- - - Updated - - -

Also if your city has any solid vertical objects like light poles.

maxresdefault.jpg

Or if you have larger SUVs running around.

Last edited:
That depends on your definition of a city - and if you have to use highways to get around it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just one question: Did you remember to get the full LDW on it?

- - - Updated - - -

Also if your city has any solid vertical objects like light poles.

maxresdefault.jpg
No. I declined LDW as my credit card provides insurance coverage.

That and, aside from today/yesterday evening, the car will only be driven to and from work and parked separately from my fellow faculty/staff, like all cars I rent.

I did get LDW on the Optima and it likely saved my ass due to not noticing a chip in a tire sidewall until after I picked up the car and the TPMS came on....but I would have been covered by the credit card had I declined LDW anyway so....

Edit: I will try to avoid light poles...or telephone/electrical poles for that matter....