Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

That begs the question, then: So far, which has been better for you - the French minivan or the American-design one?

Voyager easily, so far really no extra costs I didn't already know that were due when I bought it. Fuel consumption is few liter worse, but that's normal because of FWD vs. AWD and I4 vs V6. I rather pay the same money at the pump than in repairs. And even parts are a lot cheaper as long as I order them overseas.

Last edited:
I just watched the latest episode of Fast&Loud, which is finally the episode where they build the car to go race the Roadkill boys.

Here is a youtube rip, to insure minimal ratings to the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y_YCFhHvEk

It's pathetic how they talk down to Roadkill. They even have the balls to insult them for not "building their own car", since apparently 2 guys are supposed to compete against an entire business with Discovery money. I don't think that Richard guy has ever so much as built a sand castle in his life and that amish looking dipshit who thinks ordering air-ride and big rims out of a catalog is "original car design".

I saw half an episode of "Fast&Loud" and bailed. It was boring and annoying. Ugh.

Question and possibly a dumb one. I'm leaving for a month to India on Friday. I'll be leaving my car here and was considering having a friend look after it and perhaps drive it to work once a week or so.

If he doesn't, my worry is that when I come back I won't have much charge in the battery plus I would not be able to start the car given that it will be at freezing temperatures or below. I don't want to disconnect the battery as I feel like too many computers and important things are connected to it.

Is there anything I can do now to ensure I can start my car when I get back or am I just gonna have to pray for the best?

Part of me thinks a car bought in February will have a strong battery still. It has been starting in sub freezing temperatures without even a single hiccup.

Question and possibly a dumb one. I'm leaving for a month to India on Friday. I'll be leaving my car here and was considering having a friend look after it and perhaps drive it to work once a week or so.

If he doesn't, my worry is that when I come back I won't have much charge in the battery plus I would not be able to start the car given that it will be at freezing temperatures or below. I don't want to disconnect the battery as I feel like too many computers and important things are connected to it.

Is there anything I can do now to ensure I can start my car when I get back or am I just gonna have to pray for the best?

Part of me thinks a car bought in February will have a strong battery still. It has been starting in sub freezing temperatures without even a single hiccup.

Unhooking the battery should not cause to many problems. You will have to set your presets on the radio again, but it won't be a problem driving it once you hook it back up.

Of course you can always go and get a trickle charger. Don't settle for a cheap one that can overcharge the battery.

I don't think a month is enough to cause any troubles, more so with a nearly brand-new car.
It should start as intended when you come back.

I think the longest I ever left my car sitting around was two weeks, it didn't have any issues with start up

The Kadett, being 35 years old and all, started right up when I returned from an eight-week stay in the US.

I don't think a month is enough to cause any troubles, more so with a nearly brand-new car.
It should start as intended when you come back.

Except for the crap ethanol laced gas we get here in the US, and especially in CA. While the battery might be okay, especially if you disconnect it, the gas may begin returning to corn in a month's time. I'd suggest using a little Sta-bil in the tank as a precaution against that.

I'm usually not the one to curse French engineering and I'm not sure this is French since the van is part Nissan, part Renault, part Opel/Vauxhall and built in the UK.

The battery died today. It's under the floor, under your feet as you're driving. The positive terminal is a 10x10cm thing with lots of main fuses and other wires bolted to it, including a couple of brittle plastic fuse holders. I managed to break one of those while swapping the battery in -25?C today. It started up fine with the new battery, but I no longer seem to have ABS and the "SERV" and "STOP" lamps are lit. Thanks for that.

I'm usually not the one to curse French engineering and I'm not sure this is French since the van is part Nissan, part Renault, part Opel/Vauxhall and built in the UK.

The battery died today. It's under the floor, under your feet as you're driving. The positive terminal is a 10x10cm thing with lots of main fuses and other wires bolted to it, including a couple of brittle plastic fuse holders. I managed to break one of those while swapping the battery in -25?C today. It started up fine with the new battery, but I no longer seem to have ABS and the "SERV" and "STOP" lamps are lit. Thanks for that.

What kind of van is it?

What kind of van is it?

A GM-Renault-Nissan one. This is of the Renault Trafic variety, the only difference being the stereo and the fact that the speedometer has 50, 70, 90 written on it instead of 40, 60, 80 like in the Opel.

It's made in Luton, and I'm sure some anorak will correct me and tell me that the High Roof version is made in Spain because it can't fit in the Luton factory.

That sounds like a French thing to me. Unless GM Europe does things radically differently for the rest of their lineup than the ones we've gotten here (Astra, Opels rebadged as Buicks, etc), they don't hang much of anything off the positive terminal. Likewise Nissan doesn't generally do that either. The only vehicles I've seen do that are continental European marques - mostly VAG products. It's a remarkably stupid idea.

Last edited:
I kind of want to replace my Honda with a 03-08 Subaru Forester this year. I really like that gen forester and think it would make a good car for everyday driving. Would have to pay special attention to the headgaskets though.

Don't forget - chop your wiener off and become lesbian before buying one.

The Baja is the only acceptable Subaru that's not a 2.5RS/WRX/STi.