Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Well yeah, so does my wagon and Mustang. However, once defrost is on, the A/C clutch engages. Unless you're low on freon.

What this guy said, Subaru is same way if you engage either the window defogger alone or the window defogger with foot air the A/C will turn on whether the A/C button is on or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Turning my heater on full doesn't do squat if the engine takes 10 minutes heat up while driving, 20 while idling. :p

Also this, until the engine is warm enough it really doesn't do much for defogging.
Non-electric cabin heaters/pre-heaters are banned in the US because the ones that came in VW Beetles killed a whole bunch of people back in the 60s and 70s.
Zaporozhets (ZAS) had a similar type, cars kept setting themselves on fire but then it was soviet Russia and no one cared.

Last edited:
I was tailgated by an E61 5 series the other day. Nothing out of the ordinary there, obviouisly. The fact that the driver had his foglights on isn't either. What is is that he had wired a pair of stupid bright LED DRL's to the foglights as well.

I wonder why anyone thinks that's a good idea, driving with DRL's at night? It was like having a dentists office in my rear view mirror.

Love Farrah's thoughts in this.

"If you're a Kardashian, and you want everyone to know how much money you can throw away, and you like your trucks like you like your men; very big, very black, very worthless - this is the car for you."

Yeah, the AMG mods especially make that truck terrible. A few years ago I saw one stuck on a muddy shoulder's 'Texas Offramp' that Honda Civics were patently able to navigate. Not that the 'regular' US market G-wagen is much better, because it isn't. And no, there is no stripper version suitable for offroading or farm use out of the box available here.

Yeah, the AMG mods especially make that truck terrible. A few years ago I saw one stuck on a muddy shoulder's 'Texas Offramp' that Honda Civics were patently able to navigate. Not that the 'regular' US market G-wagen is much better, because it isn't. And no, there is no stripper version suitable for offroading or farm use out of the box available here.

That may be, but if I had Fuck-You money, the first thing I'd buy is a G-wagen for my offroad toy.

Granted, it wouldn't be a regular G-wagen.

Last edited:
I love the looks of the G. I was next to one in traffic, however, and I noticed how small it seemed to be inside. The driver was sitting up against the side glass and had the windshield in her face as well.
I was watching a review of a new model with the V6 diesel and the reviewer pointed out how the entire car started vibrating when he put it into gear.

It might look badass, but I would probably get something more modern if it was my money. Like a Range Rover. I would miss the three mechanical diff locks though.

I love the looks of the G. I was next to one in traffic, however, and I noticed how small it seemed to be inside. The driver was sitting up against the side glass and had the windshield in her face as well.

That sounds like she was leaning over with her seat all the way forward or something. While not Excursion-huge, it's still reasonably roomy inside if you don't stick more than four people in it.

I was watching a review of a new model with the V6 diesel and the reviewer pointed out how the entire car started vibrating when he put it into gear.

I would suspect that's more likely the engine or mounting scheme than the truck. While not dead smooth, I don't recall the older gray market OM617 powered ones vibrating objectionably.

It might look badass, but I would probably get something more modern if it was my money. Like a Range Rover. I would miss the three mechanical diff locks though.

Clearly the solution then is this

GP2ebeJl.png

k005bjGl.jpg

That sounds like she was leaning over with her seat all the way forward or something. While not Excursion-huge, it's still reasonably roomy inside if you don't stick more than four people in it.

Well, it certainly doesn't have the sloping windshield, fat dashboard and curved side glass found in more modern cars and trucks. Everything is more upright and the dashboard is not very deep.

I would suspect that's more likely the engine or mounting scheme than the truck. While not dead smooth, I don't recall the older gray market OM617 powered ones vibrating objectionably.
Whatever it was, the reviewer wasn't impressed.

I've driven MY 2016 G 350d briefly, and I can't remember any vibration issues. Lovely car. <3

Whatever it was, the reviewer wasn't impressed.

I think part of the actual problem with the truck is that Mercedes, desperate for a big SUV during the last wave of the SUV craze, converted the G-wagen into something it wasn't, much like the first Escalade was a thinly disguised converted Suburban. To be sure, the G-wagen does a decent impression of a luxury road-oriented SUV, but you can tell it's not really one. The (not sure what they call it now, but used to be) the GL did a much better job of it.

Well, the G is not an SUV. It's an offroader, even more to the point, it was developed for the army and for that is basically on a level with a Land Rover Defender (but much better than that). Of course it's not very good on-road. No matter how much the try to tell (and sell) us otherwise.

pffft....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I just watched the latest episode of Fast&Loud, which is finally the episode where they build the car to go race the Roadkill boys.

Here is a youtube rip, to insure minimal ratings to the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y_YCFhHvEk

It's pathetic how they talk down to Roadkill. They even have the balls to insult them for not "building their own car", since apparently 2 guys are supposed to compete against an entire business with Discovery money. I don't think that Richard guy has ever so much as built a sand castle in his life and that amish looking dipshit who thinks ordering air-ride and big rims out of a catalog is "original car design".

pffft....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I believe a grand total of zero people bought that. Not least of which because it wasn't a production car - it was a *kit* marketed to dealers. For some reason, nobody bought it.

The "Spectre" line of ricing accessories is far more embarrassing than that. :p

IMG-20160107-WA0002.jpeg

Getting a bit chilly here. Merc doesn't really like to heat up at shorter trips at all. Driving is fine though, as it has electric heaters helping in the vents, but engine doesn't heat up. It could really benefit from blocking the radiator. Chrysler on the other hand works great without mods. Heats up to normal at just few kilometers, only the gearchanges are a bit un-American for the first few minutes, and the heater squeaks for the first minute too. I don't want to guess the fuel consumption though, but so far it has proved to be excellent winter car.