Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Some say it is a health hazard, but I call it mostly hokum.

...all we know is that it's ethylene glycol you're inhaling. Your call.

In other news, these guys are idiots. $1895 for a 192k mile '89 Corolla with a carbureted engine, no AC or any power options, and a badly-done DIY spoiler? Yeah good fucking luck with that. And the annoying thing is that it'll run forever, or until the rust gets it, whichever comes first.

...all we know is that it's ethylene glycol you're inhaling. Your call.

Yes, it is highly toxic when ingested. However, "high concentrations in air or intoxication are unlikely to occur following inhalational exposures. There may be a slight risk of poisoning where mists or fogs are generated, although this rarely leads to poisoning as ethylene glycol causes irritation and coughing when breathed in, alerting victims to its presence."

I might as well be sitting with someone smoking a cigarette in the car.

And actually, it may be a false alarm - there is no coolant smell and since my car does not have a cabin air filter - if there is too much moisture in the air outside, it is getting in the car as well.

Last edited:
Huh, good to know. Do you let people smoke in your car? Can't tell from that article if the vapors would make that a bad idea.

Yes, it is highly toxic when ingested. However, "high concentrations in air or intoxication are unlikely to occur following inhalational exposures. There may be a slight risk of poisoning where mists or fogs are generated, although this rarely leads to poisoning as ethylene glycol causes irritation and coughing when breathed in, alerting victims to its presence."

I might as well be sitting with someone smoking a cigarette in the car.

And actually, it may be a false alarm - there is no coolant smell and since my car does not have a cabin air filter - if there is too much moisture in the air outside, it is getting in the car as well.

They're talking about incidental inhalation exposure. Breathing it in in a closed car greatly increases the concentration and gets it well into the unhealthy range.

Yes, heater core is toast. Depending on how VW designed the car, it could be a simple 1 hour job, or it could be a 5 hour dash dis-assembly debacle.

Or in the case of the convertible fox body Mustang, 14 hours and the creation of a custom jig.

No. Nobody smokes in my car. In theory, the vapors can make you nauseated and sick. But for that to happen the concentration has to be really high, which can be achieved only if there is visible fog and strong smell coming from the air vents.

With that said, I know people who have drunk antifreeze (don't ask...) and they are okay.

I'm more partial to the wagon myself. But if the sedans are in better shape then I'd go for that. Just beware of rust, those old volvo's love to rot out.

Also, if you do end up getting a 240. I have a bunch of parts lying in my garage that I want to get rid of.... so if you want them :)

The average sedan seems to be in much nicer shape, I'm guessing its probably because they were more of commuter/normal car and less likely to be hauling five filthy, mess making children.

As far as rust goes, they all seem to get it around the rear wheels and in the rockers. As long as there isn't giant gaping holes I'll be happy. At least it will give a bit of a project to work on at school.

And I'd glady take the parts off your hands if I get a 240, just name your beverage of choice.

The average sedan seems to be in much nicer shape, I'm guessing its probably because they were more of commuter/normal car and less likely to be hauling five filthy, mess making children.

As far as rust goes, they all seem to get it around the rear wheels and in the rockers. As long as there isn't giant gaping holes I'll be happy. At least it will give a bit of a project to work on at school.

And I'd glady take the parts off your hands if I get a 240, just name your beverage of choice.

Yeah, that's a pretty fair conclusion to make..

PM me if you end up getting one. I'll take some Granville Island Please. :)

Okay, this is slightly embarrassing now...I cleaned up the inside of my windshield this morning, then I ran the car with the heater on for 30 minutes....no fogging.

I guess it just needed cleaning :)

People clean cars? :p

I have a black car that's a bit of an attention whore. Therefore I have to wash it at least twice a month.

I have to have all my air vents aligned just right...and if anyone moves them...I get really angry.