Random Thoughts....

200px-Rainier_Wolfcastle.gif

Dats the joke...

Is that the soccerball thing on the videos? I never clicked it because I had no idea what it was...

Yup. I found it funny when I stumbled upon it. I was listening to a Mstislav Rostropovich cello performance. I was pretty into it, saw the ball, clicked it...and laughed for a good minute. :p I guess I was just in the right mood.

Even the vuvuzela track they have isn't even good.

I can't stop blinking constantly. I really need to stop. :blink: And I also need to start sleeping more.

I have just this weekend to go before my final work placement of my course: the most important one on which all our final units are assessed. I have to go into uni from 10:00am - 2:00pm Satuday and Sunday to do all this really important practice stuff we have to do. Because we're supposed to be in charge of a whole childcare centre room and plan for the group of children by ourselves for this one there's a lot of preparation involved. I's gonna feel really weird being there on a weekend, we'll be the only students on campus (classes officially recommence Monday). I'm so nervous about this whole thing I feel sick. It's so important for passing this course! Four weeks of essentially being in charge of paid staff members. Me, in charge of something. Blimey, that's a scary thought ARGH!

Now, because I've probably completely bored everyone who's bothered to read this post with all that, I 'd just like to say that the Tetris theme is still stuck in my head and refuses to go away. I need to find something to push it out, stat!

I always forget what you're training to do, teaching isn't it or something

(looks like I'm going to have to come up your neck of the woods for work soon :O)

Diploma of Children's Services: means I can do any sort of paid work with children, and it's held in higher regard than just a Cert III. I can be in charge of an age-group room in a childcare centre rather than simply be a room assistant = slightly higher pay and more responsibility. A lot of places are specifically looking for Diploma qualified people even for assistant jobs because in time they can gain on-the-job experience and become room leaders = well-established people within a service rather than having to look for outside people. I'll be starting from the very bottom of course, doing relief work in rooms for absent staff members. I'll also have the opportunity to work in after school and holiday programmes, occasional care, or even work for the city council's families department (once I get my admin traineeship done too). It's my chance to actually have a career in a specific area, I've had too many casual stop-start jobs for my liking - cleaning, retail, receptionist etc. It also acts as a pathway into kindergarten / preschool teaching, but I'm not sure about following my parents into that field. (Both are high school teachers, dad is a retired history teacher, while my mum still teaches VCE English full time).

I love working with children, for most of 2008 I worked as a volunteer in various places. It's probably put me off having children of my own, however! :lol:

Last edited:
Diploma of Children's Services: means I can do any sort of paid work with children, and it's held in higher regard than just a Cert III. I can be in charge of an age-group room in a childcare centre rather than simply be a room assistant = slightly higher pay and more responsibility. A lot of places are specifically looking for Diploma qualified people even for assistant jobs because in time they can gain on-the-job experience and become room leaders = well-established people within a service rather than having to look for outside people. I'll be starting from the very bottom of course, doing relief work in rooms for absent staff members. I'll also have the opportunity to work in after school and holiday programmes, occasional care, or even work for the city council's families department (once I get my admin traineeship done too). It's my chance to actually have a career in a specific area, I've had too many casual stop-start jobs for my liking - cleaning, retail, receptionist etc. It also acts as a pathway into kindergarten / preschool teaching, but I'm not sure about following my parents into that field. (Both are high school teachers, dad is a retired history teacher, while my mum still teaches VCE English full time).

I love working with children, for most of 2008 I worked as a volunteer in various places. It's probably put me off having children of my own, however! :lol:

My sister is doing something similar, except she is doing her cert III (doing Cert II at the moment as a VET HSC course) then using that to jump up to second year of B. Early Childhood Education, which gives her the option of doing primary school teaching if she wants to (certified for ages 0-8 I think). She wants to do 0-2 child care though, and did some work experience a year ago and really enjoyed that.

Posted this in the tech section, but will elaborate on it here- any Aussies (and to an extent, anyone) had any experiences with mobile broadband? (i.e. the little USB sticks that you use to connect to the 3G networks for broadband). I am thinking of getting a pre-paid modem so I have something to use when I need fast speeds (i.e. submitting uni work, tute registations, etc), am away from home (eg babysitting tomorrow night, want to use internet to keep up with SBK stuff), etc etc. So far it looks like telstra may be my only option- they have a pretty good deal on for the Turbo modem cheap, but long term it may be expensive (will have to watch my spending on it majorly!). Optus/Virgin claim I don't have 3G coverage in my area (even though my phone, which is on Virgin gets 3G).
(and no, mobile tethering isn't an option as I don't have a data plan and can't get one. And I don't want to tie myself into a contract at the moment, in case there is an issue/I need the money for other things)

My sister is doing something similar, except she is doing her cert III (doing Cert II at the moment as a VET HSC course) then using that to jump up to second year of B. Early Childhood Education, which gives her the option of doing primary school teaching if she wants to (certified for ages 0-8 I think). She wants to do 0-2 child care though, and did some work experience a year ago and really enjoyed that.

Posted this in the tech section, but will elaborate on it here- any Aussies (and to an extent, anyone) had any experiences with mobile broadband? (i.e. the little USB sticks that you use to connect to the 3G networks for broadband). I am thinking of getting a pre-paid modem so I have something to use when I need fast speeds (i.e. submitting uni work, tute registations, etc), am away from home (eg babysitting tomorrow night, want to use internet to keep up with SBK stuff), etc etc. So far it looks like telstra may be my only option- they have a pretty good deal on for the Turbo modem cheap, but long term it may be expensive (will have to watch my spending on it majorly!). Optus/Virgin claim I don't have 3G coverage in my area (even though my phone, which is on Virgin gets 3G).
(and no, mobile tethering isn't an option as I don't have a data plan and can't get one. And I don't want to tie myself into a contract at the moment, in case there is an issue/I need the money for other things)

Telstra, the only network that works reliably and fast. 3G on optus and three is generally awful

Ever since I moved to Charleston last month I've been thinking about something. How do you meet new people when you are new in town and don't know anybody? I tried going to a few bars, but you don't really make friends there. I have some nice colleagues at my new job, but they all commute 25+ miles to work, so we can't hang out after work.

And it's not like I sit at home the whole day - I always go out somewhere - club, bar, pool, just downtown...yet there are no people in my age group. Where is everyone?

Posted this in the tech section, but will elaborate on it here- any Aussies (and to an extent, anyone) had any experiences with mobile broadband? (i.e. the little USB sticks that you use to connect to the 3G networks for broadband). I am thinking of getting a pre-paid modem so I have something to use when I need fast speeds (i.e. submitting uni work, tute registations, etc), am away from home (eg babysitting tomorrow night, want to use internet to keep up with SBK stuff), etc etc.

I have Vodafone and 3. I'm on contract with Vodafone thanks to the deal they gave me to keep me as a customer. 5GB/month. When I'm in a good spot 200kb/s is about the top speed I get, although the good spots are few and far between. Even slightly accessible spots are hard to come by.

I've also recently bought a 3 prepaid $149 for 12GB (got 12 months to use it). Far better reception, although it can just drop for no apparent reason. Speeds 300+kb/s no worries. And this is the longest use time on the market I've found, most of them are 3 months (and I'm now on my second lot of prepaid in 12 weeks....d'oh!) But I'm using my vodafone dongle as I got the software from someone else on 3, so saved the cost of that.

It would be a good idea if you know anyone with the service you are looking at to go to your area and see what levels they get. And the phone isn't a good measure. My Vondafone phone reception is great where I'm currently living, but can't get broadband reception except when it's cloudy.

Ever since I moved to Charleston last month I've been thinking about something. How do you meet new people when you are new in town and don't know anybody? I tried going to a few bars, but you don't really make friends there. I have some nice colleagues at my new job, but they all commute 25+ miles to work, so we can't hang out after work.

And it's not like I sit at home the whole day - I always go out somewhere - club, bar, pool, just downtown...yet there are no people in my age group. Where is everyone?
Are you with a university? If so join a group matching an interest of yours. Imagine your first day of undergrad, new to the place don't know anyone and think about what you did. Its feels weird but after you make a couple new friends then they introduce you to their friends and so on and so forth. My best friends in the world are actually people I met through others not just on my own.

We have a 3 dongle for the laptop at work (since I'm the only one who uses it), and at work - in the office, it's great, however if for whatever reason we try to use it here at home, there is bugger all reception. So you really should see if you can find someone locally who can let you in on the good and bad places for reception in places you're likely to use it.

You might also want to have a look around here for other options and feedback.

Are you with a university? If so join a group matching an interest of yours. Imagine your first day of undergrad, new to the place don't know anyone and think about what you did. Its feels weird but after you make a couple new friends then they introduce you to their friends and so on and so forth. My best friends in the world are actually people I met through others not just on my own.

No. That's the problem. I already graduated, and now I am working in the "big" (for WV standards) city. Like I said - there are a few people that I hang out and talk with at work, but they drive straight home after work (they live 50min away).

No. That's the problem. I already graduated, and now I am working in the "big" (for WV standards) city. Like I said - there are a few people that I hang out and talk with at work, but they drive straight home after work (they live 50min away).

You may have to take things into your own hands and host a party for said coworkers, and encourage them to bring their friends; thus is networking born. Plus if I recall correctly Charleston is hardly a young-person city...I last went there about nine years ago, and it was nice to visit but seemed a bit quiet and sleepy.

You are right about that. Most young people don't stay long in WV. And the ones that stay..I don't really want to be around them.

I'll see what I can do about that house party. I'll have to run it by my neighbors first. Hopefully, the city will liven up in August when the local university goes back in session.

Thanks guys!

Anyways, This weekend is going to be quite a nice sporting weekend! Can't wait. Today I'm going out with current boss on collections duty. We're out to break legs if peeps don't pay up!

Fear!!!

^ :lol: I really haven't noticed that its Friday. Or what day it is. Holidays FTW :D

In other news - I leave for Portugal on Sunday morning :D Woo!

Holiday booked!! Wooh!!

3 nights in Killarney Holiday Inn hotel at the end of August!!

Meanwhile, shitting hell, this Raoul Moat stuff is quite scary :blink:

Last edited: