Random Thoughts....

Back in the States for a year, hell yes. :cool:

Bfpw.jpg

Weren't you taking a 2-year masters degree or something?

I'm in limbo. Told a guy my feelings and (knew this was gonna happen) he didn't feel the same way. In retrospective, too soon. :(

Well at least you had the courage to tell this guy your feelings. In my experience you usually dont get anything if you dont ask. Just because he says no now doesnt mean he might in the future so stay cool :)

Been moving over the weekend, think I finally got all of the stuff out of my old apartment. Now all I must do is put all this crap away.

All about my sister (warning: seriuz bizness life ranting),
She was sixteen when she got her brand new Bimmer 323i as a first car, lived in a massive house that she asked our Dad to buy because she wanted a room where she could have 'enough space' to study while not working a single day in her freaking life until she was fucking 22 and then proceeded to barely work at that until she got her masters which she claims she paid for when in actual fact she paid about $2 for it and then asked her boyfriend to pay for the rest who then promptly passed the buck yet again back to our parents. Now she has completely siphoned all the bank accounts dry, climbed the corporate ladder by stabbing several people in the back and is now off with her middle aged boy friend who is almost 20 years older than her probably somewhere in the Caribbean. This would have all been fine as long as she had agreed to pay around 20% for an apartment five years ago which is now worth around $2 million AUD but no and then here I am sitting in an apartment the size of my old bathroom constantly overhearing arguments about money.

All about my sister (warning: seriuz bizness life ranting),
She was sixteen when she got her brand new Bimmer 323i as a first car, lived in a massive house that she asked our Dad to buy because she wanted a room where she could have 'enough space' to study while not working a single day in her freaking life until she was fucking 22 and then proceeded to barely work at that until she got her masters which she claims she paid for when in actual fact she paid about $2 for it and then asked her boyfriend to pay for the rest who then promptly passed the buck yet again back to our parents. Now she has completely siphoned all the bank accounts dry, climbed the corporate ladder by stabbing several people in the back and is now off with her middle aged boy friend who is almost 20 years older than her probably somewhere in the Caribbean. This would have all been fine as long as she had agreed to pay around 20% for an apartment five years ago which is now worth around $2 million AUD but no and then here I am sitting in an apartment the size of my old bathroom constantly overhearing arguments about money.

Chin up - rise above it all.

Show your parents what YOU are made of - go make a success of your life do not dwell on her. BTW that does not mean be her 'mate', it does mean for the sake of others be 'civil' to her and said boy friend.

Just think when she is going to be jealous of you for being happy and integrated into the family.

I don't know your situation and I don't know your family, but I have to wonder what role your parents played in the situation.... at any rate I hope things get better for all involved.

From personal experience, being smart with the money you earn is just as important the amount. Our family never had an exceptionally large income yet my friends always viewed me as "the rich kid" (and I went to a private school FFS).

EDIT: as usual Cobol74 shows his wisdom

I think we'll just stay as friends for the time being, but he just said he only liked me as a friend. Which is fair enough, considering we've only known each for a month and a bit, but the feelings were very real. Which makes me feel even worst, but I'll get over it one day.

Sorry to hear that, at least you said something. You could have not said anything and ended up questioning why you didn't do anything. God knows i felt a lot better after i told a girl i liked her despite spending months umm'ing and ahh'ing about it. felt like a weight off my shoulders and i could move on.
Regardless, have a :comfort: and hope you have a better day.

God knows i felt a lot better after i told a girl i liked her despite spending months umm'ing and ahh'ing about it. felt like a weight off my shoulders and i could move on.

Something I failed to do when I had the chance. Even just chatting idly to her and establishing (or re-establishing in this case) a friendship is something I wish I'd done. Ahh well, as I said above, dont ask, you dont get :p.

@LeMansGTR: As Cobol said, just be the best you can be. I know my parents have given more money to my brother over the years which made me a little resentful. They spent $13000 of their money buying him a car, another few grand on a horse and various other things he pursued for a bit before getting tired of them. I received money of course but not to that extent. I'm not too concerned, I'll consider it an achievement if I can make it on my own in a well paying job/career I enjoy without anyone's assistance. He's still selling shoes in a shop somewhere :p. Not quite as bad as your situation I'll grant but then, life's not fair. Do the best you can with what you'v got and don't worry about others. It'll sort itself out. I imagine your sister is either going to go all the way and make a real success of herself, or sooner or later she's going to end up with nothing.

I think we'll just stay as friends for the time being, but he just said he only liked me as a friend. Which is fair enough, considering we've only known each for a month and a bit, but the feelings were very real. Which makes me feel even worst, but I'll get over it one day.
There are ways of saying things of course - blurting things out is the least effective, but this does work I must say.

Better is to "put yourself in the shop window", you find out his interests and where they match yours you look for things you can do together - not necessarily on your own but from small initiatives bigger things may grow. ... Carrying this out does require patience and the ability to control your emotions.

[RANT]
I just want to scream. Work's been... interesting. :cry:
[/RANT]
In other news, racing season's about to start here. At least I can look forward to that. :)

[RANT]
I just want to scream. Work's been... interesting. :cry:
[/RANT]
In other news, racing season's about to start here. At least I can look forward to that. :)

Just breathe slowly and look at the pretty mountains... some of us would kill to be in PC right now. Heck according to the reports you guys still have a 108 inch base with 5 inches of new in the past 24. :D

*Has just brought home an HDMI cable to connect DVD player and new Tv.....only to conclude his DVD player does not have an HDMI port*

Ow for Gods sake! I am utterly useless at this shit.....what the hell was wrong with normal TV's and VCR's again ?

HDMI is a new standard for high definition video... so most DVD players (unless they upscale) won't have them :p

But it was the same story back in the days of the VCR, with RF modulators, RCA, SCART....

Meh......I'm gonna get one of these and chuck everything else out the door.

edison.jpg

Cables are fun. I bought a five meter HDMI cable because it was cheaper than a one that was two meters. Same manufacturer and vendor. When are we going to switch everything to DisplayPort? DP is royalty free, HDMI costs money for every unit.

Last edited:
And yet you can still buy HDMI cables online for a few dollars including shipping. Switching to another equal standard would just make things worse. Does DisplayPort even do audio, anyway?

Lab meeting at 1:30 today, it's 11:00. I have nothing to show. And because I was up late working on this stuff I had little sleep, so I'm closing my eyes periodically at the keyboard. Fiber was rollin through my stomach, now hunger is setting in.

Solutions: Coffee to stem the wave of lethargy, conversion of data from flux to magnitudes and printing the results of that out to show my mentor. Work frantically on the draft changes and summarize that I'm still working on things during the lab meeting. Oh and eat lunch to prevent dying from hunger or saying stupid things during lab meeting.

Cables are fun. I bought a five meter HDMI cable because it was cheaper than a one that was two meters. Same manufacturer and vendor.

That's not just HDMI. I bought a 1/8" to 1/8" stereo audio cable.
3' was $2.99.
1' was $3.49.