The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

If you're going by "first jet airplane", wouldn't that rather go to Heinkel?

Yes, that was my first thought too, but I figured he went after "first jet airliner", as he was talking about shrinking travel times etc.

Yes, that was my first thought too, but I figured he went after "first jet airliner", as he was talking about shrinking travel times etc.

Still Comet, yes?

Last edited:
"We at Boeing had the first jet airliner that didn't blow apart on a semi-regular basis."

"We at Boeing had the world's first jet airplane."

No, I don't think so.

DH Comet 1 - Aviation Safety Database

Aviation Safety Db said:
date type registration operator fatalities. location

26-OCT-1952 de Havilland DH-106 Comet 1A G-ALYZ BOAC 0 Roma-Ciampin... Over rotation on t/o ("Pilot Error")

03-MAR-1953 de Havilland DH-106 Comet 1A CF-CUN Canadian Pacific 11 Karachi Inte... Over rotation on t/o ("Pilot Error")

02-MAY-1953 de Havilland DH-106 Comet 1 G-ALYV BOAC 43 near Calcutta-Dum...Structural Failure

25-JUN-1953 de Havilland DH-106 Comet 1A F-BGSC UAT 0 Dakar-Yoff A...Landing accident

25-JUL-1953 de Havilland DH-106 Comet 1 G-ALYR BOAC 0 Calcutta-Dum... Taxiing accident

10-JAN-1954 de Havilland DH-106 Comet 1 G-ALYP BOAC 35 near Elba Structural Failure

8-APR-1954 de Havilland DH-106 Comet 1 G-ALYY BOAC, opf. South African A 21 near San Lucido Italy. Structural Failure (Probable no wreckage found.)

There were only about twelve Comet 1s built, the above six had accidents in just 18 months, four of which were fatal!

Now that is a shocking safety record by any measure.

"We at Boeing had the first jet airliner that didn't blow apart on a semi-regular basis."

Yes, this is a more accurate reference to the Comet.

Still Comet, yes?

Only as an historical note of how not to build something.

:|

The real innovation of the Comet is that it revolutionized how aircraft accidents are investigated and made the planes we have today much, much safer.

In lighter-hearted aviation-ness...

"Coming in low is part of every textbook approach. It's just something you have to do when you land."

In lighter-hearted aviation-ness...

"Coming in low is part of every textbook approach. It's just something you have to do when you land."

Damn, that looks fake! What airport is that? Is there another angle showing just how low it is? And where was the photo taken from? Details!

Last edited:
Yeah Square windows FTL.

That was the headline cause, but Douglas had square windows on the DC6s & DC-7s years before the Comet 1s. To be fair, their service ceilings were more like FL200-300, whereas the Comet was higher at FL350.

The British didn't have the same level of pressurisation experience as Boeing & the USAAF got with building and operating 3,000 B-29s. They had windows too, not as many, but only one failure caused the decopression events and fatalities.

The real innovation of the Comet is that it revolutionized how aircraft accidents are investigated and made the planes we have today much, much safer.

Now that is true, I should have mentioned that too. The first large-scale "full" reconstruction of one of the aircraft and a more scientific, structured approach to accident investigations. (The authorities & makers couldn't keep blaming the pilots forever. :p)

Last edited:
It's one of the approaches at LAX. I'll try to find some more angles of said approach.

Yep, it's right over the In-N-Out and where a lot of plane spotters go.

And the picture is taken from a small airplane or an helicopter.

I think the next time I fly to Taiwan I will try a different airline than EVA. It's not that EVA was bad in any way, they weren't, but the run from the LAX International Arrivals, to bag claim, to customs, to ticketing and baggage check at the other goddamned end of the airport to re-check bags and pass back through security SUCKS!

Plus, this way we can possibly fly on a 747 instead of a 777.

And the picture is taken from a small airplane or an helicopter.

As opposed to Hong Kong where years ago similar photos could be taken from your apartment's balcony.

Damn, that looks fake! What airport is that? Is there another angle showing just how low it is? And where was the photo taken from? Details!

Don't know if its the same approach, but heres an A380 coming into LAX.
[video=youtube;_5goq6Q-J5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5goq6Q-J5k[/video]

And this is defiantly the same approach.
nwTrDCo.jpg

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2012/10/photos-hanging-at-the-lax-in-n-out-for-dorkfest/

You can see the In-n-Out in the original China 747 photo.

Looks like they're coming in for 24R

WoDIBJh.png

Last edited:
Since we're talking about LAX, I thought I might post this:

Also,

Well I certainly have something to be thankful for: I am hanging up my flight instructor uniform for a while as I move to Savannah, GA to get my Gulfstream G450/550 type rating. After some time there (6-12 months) I will be moving to Houston, TX to fly a G550 for a large oil company as a year internship!!!!!!
that coming along nicely? :)

I finished G450 ground school today, full-flight simulators start on Tuesday

I'll keep you all posted!

Have fun :)