The "New Toys" Thread

Yeah I know about BGA, I just forgot that for a moment there. My own CPU is PGA988. But I somehow had the openings in my laptop differently in mind. I can't just like that access the CPU unfornately. I may look into a teardown-video when at home, maybe its not that bad. Then there is the question of the CPU, indeed. Officially and according to Acer this line of laptops only supports the Arrandale i3 and i5 CPUs, but Intel will obviously tell you, the HM55 supports all 988 Core i, including the Arrandale and Clarksfield i7-ranges. Also people on the Internet report perfectly fine running i7s in it, haven't found someone claiming it doesn't. Some even *claim* that they got a 988B Sandybridge working in it, but I don't buy into that, not even Intel backs that up on the HM55. So yeah, I am tempted to put an i7 in there. The concern of the 1.6Ghz i7 being slower than the 2.4Ghz i3 in singlethread-applications is mostly eliminated by the i7s Turbo-feature, pushing at least the cores #1 and #2 to 2.8/2.4 Ghz (1.73 for turboquad). Plus the benefit of 4/8 cores/ht over 2/4 and 6MB (8MB with the 800QM or 900XM) cache over 3MB. The downside of the lack of IGP is not really a concern to me, having a HD5650 alive and kicking in my Acer. The i7 6xxM range is not really interesting due to just being dualcore too, the 800QM as well as the 900XM are just too expensive usually. So its down to either 720QM or 740QM. Looking at the used prices, the 720QM seems to be the one to get. They sell for around 50EUR on ebay frequently, the 740QM more around 75?+, so imo not really worth the extra 133Mhz across all ranges.

Todo when home: Check teardown-video, decide. After vacation, buy or don't buy.. :D

Yeah.. every time a friend of mine whines about his laptop taking forever to compile shit with his i7-620M, I fire him some 720QM ebay links :p

Yeah.. thing is, my CPU is not under some servicebay, but I'd basically have to tear the whole thing apart.. not the biggest fan of that idea, knowing that laptops tend to be more held together by plastic noses than screws, which have the tendency to break as soon as you just consider opening it..

Much better alternative, with ought looking TOO silly, is the Swopper chair. You can adjust the "springiness" and can come with casters, that "bottom out" when you sit, so it won't roll out from underneath you.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mean one like this?

217opsvik_capsico.jpg

That reminds me of a chair used for... other activities.

Yeah.. thing is, my CPU is not under some servicebay, but I'd basically have to tear the whole thing apart.. not the biggest fan of that idea, knowing that laptops tend to be more held together by plastic noses than screws, which have the tendency to break as soon as you just consider opening it..

Yeah.. In comparison, on the Dell Latitudes, you pull off the bottom panel and everything is accessible. Consumer laptops suck... so much pain to open in the name of styling....

Checked out a video. Its basically a complete deconstruction. All screws from the underbelly, remove keyboard to access more screws, unplug touchpad, speakers, powerbutton, unclip upper cover. Then you see the board, but the wrong side. Unscrew the board, disconnect USB-board and display cable and you can at least flip it up and basically acess the fan, heatpipe and CPU.

Checked out a video. Its basically a complete deconstruction. All screws from the underbelly, remove keyboard to access more screws, unplug touchpad, speakers, powerbutton, unclip upper cover. Then you see the board, but the wrong side. Unscrew the board, disconnect USB-board and display cable and you can at least flip it up and basically acess the fan, heatpipe and CPU.

My sisters laptop was like that. I had to take it all apart to remove the CD drive so I could get the fake SD card used to cover the slot out of the CD drive.

reminds me of the time I took apart a DSLR to get to the sensor. So many screws. And desoldering, and carefully unclipping ribbon cables, and getting huge electric shocks from the flash capacitor because I couldn't be arsed to discharge it.

Sony Bravia 46" LED LCD, love that thin bezel.

No bells and whistles i.e. 3D/wifi/ethernet/social media

So what's it good for then?

(Totally kidding)

reminds me of the time I took apart a DSLR to get to the sensor. So many screws. And desoldering, and carefully unclipping ribbon cables, and getting huge electric shocks from the flash capacitor because I couldn't be arsed to discharge it.

Took apart a (mechanical) SLR to fix the sticky shutter... that thing never went back together.

I got an iPhone 5C in baby blue today. I had given my iPhone 3GS to my mother to force her to use iMessages due to her living abroad and wasting too much money on SMS. As an interim I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 with 3G which doubled as a phone. That didn't work out. Despite being embarrassingly large it crashes most of the time and the power button sticks so when I unlock the screen, the thing turns itself off. Put me well off Android and Samsung. Also, going from a 3GS to a 5C... so much niceness.

I got an iPhone 5C in baby blue today. I had given my iPhone 3GS to my mother to force her to use iMessages due to her living abroad and wasting too much money on SMS. As an interim I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 with 3G which doubled as a phone. That didn't work out. Despite being embarrassingly large it crashes most of the time and the power button sticks so when I unlock the screen, the thing turns itself off. Put me well off Android and Samsung. Also, going from a 3GS to a 5C... so much niceness.

She aint never heard of Skype and a million other IM applications? Funnily enough I see that Google Hangouts has calling options now, might just dump my phone and use that with my tablet lol.

Yeah all those would be the obvious thing to do, but try getting a technophobe to actually use them. She didn't have a smartphone and I reasoned the only OS she would get to grips with is iOS. My experience with the Samsung confirmed it. Android really isn't user friendly at all in my opinion. Since getting the iPhone she has got to grips with Skype, iMessages and WhatsApp, mission successful and much money saved on phone bills. My experience with using a tablet as a phone was negative, the bulk gets to be annoying even with a 7 inch display.

Raspberry Pi camera addon + 8GB Kingston class 10 SD card.

Cause those timelapses don't make themselve!