The Positivity Thread aka "Today was a great day because....."

Congrats!

Not today, but Friday.

I had a job to go to the Sydney Olympic sports venues, which isn't unusual, as they still get used for school events and so forth. Had discussed dropping off the school, and then going to get another school for a job later, then returning to pick up the first group.
When I got to the school, I asked the teachers specifically where in the site they needed to go, as it's a bloody big place.
They tell me they're going to the 'car racing'. This confuses me because I'd been to the venue a couple of days earlier, and I know there is no race track set up (the V8 Supercars used to race there in December each year).
They are sure that's where they are going, but someone else has a map, so when she gets on, it gets handed to me.
Someone asks "Does that make sense to you?", because obviously I appear confused. The map resembles nothing at the Olympic site. So I look at the roads surrounding it, and come to the conclusion that they have booked for the wrong venue (they're school, teachers, and from 10 years of experience, I know they're mostly not that bright).
They need to go to Sydney Motorsport Park, not Sydney Olympic Park. They're in completely opposite directions. Luckily I have been there a few times as part of my workmate's drag racing team, so I can find my way over.

I point out the difference, and they have to call the school to let people know for safety reasons and such. I can hear the conversation about how it was lucky that I knew what was happening, or they'd have ended up in the wrong spot with no idea what was going on.

Anyway, we get to the circuit, I park in the designated area, and then they hand me a free pass to get into the event! I called the office to let them know I wouldn't be able to do the other job as planned, and then wandered in to enjoy the sounds and smells of the V8 Supercars! Oh, and I got paid for it!

Pics or it didn't happen. :tease:

Check her instagram.

My statutory health insurance granted me a 3-month trial period of an insulin pump. :) Let's hope I can get rid of the more often than not rollercoaster-like blood sugar levels...

Mate I have everything crossed for you. I realise that roadtripping and Ringmeet is not an ideal situation for a diabetic but it tore me to shreds watching you try and cope with things. You're a great guy and Michelle and I want to see you stable and happy. You're good people and don't deserve that shit. :hug: from both of us.

Can you put beer in it? :D

Good that blood pumps have advanced since Verdun...
Blaa_DSCF9933_Verdun_the_Worldpump.JPG

Good that blood pumps have advanced since Verdun...
Except my pump doesn't pump blood :p - hell, when the battle of Verdun took place Insulin hadn't even been extracted successfully at all, now look how far we've come in the last 20-30 years when the pace in treating Diabetes really picked up...

Even though I still have almost a third of my day before me, today is one of the best days of my life. :)

• I received a bonus from work since 2016 was a very successful year and I contributed to that (about a third of a normal month's paycheck on top)
  • I was at my diabetologist to discuss the modalities of getting the insulin pump - on September 20th an agent of the pump's manufacturer will visit me to show me the basics, from October 16th to 23rd I'll have a course for managing the pump so from that date I'll have my insulin pump
  • My bicycle ticked over the 1k km mark while I returned from my diabetologist

Reactions: MWF
My Bodum Travel Press has been getting a bit tired of late, mainly because the filter section is clogged with grounds and a sod to get out because physics. Regular Ringmeeters will be familiar with the thing as I have had it for around 4 years now.

Treated myself to a new one on Amazon and it arrived today but the colour I selected was a travel mug and not a press. :(

Went online to do a return and order a replacement to discover they make a 15oz version for the US market as opposed to the 12oz version available in Europe. Will have to wait a couple of weeks for shipping from 'Muricah but now I will get more coffee per cup and fewer trips to the kitchen. Result!

Seriously, if you have access to hot water at work plus somewhere to store milk if you take it then I can recommend one of these 100% - so much cheaper and more enjoyable than Starbucks or similar or anything from a vending machine in your office.

I may have earned a Man Card today.

As I may have pointed out, I'm quite bad at manual labour, and have no sense of mechanical sympathy.

Assembling new stuff usually works fine, but replacing parts or fixing anything mechanical usually ends in swearing, putting too much force into something that isn't designed for it, breaking it, and then running to the store for a replacement part / entire new thing if I've been especially violent.

Today however, I managed to completely disassemble 3 (!) BMX bicycles, removed all wheels, replaced inner and outer tubes on all of them, and changed the gears, front and rear, tightened the chains and re tightened the brakes on all of em.

Yes, it did take up half the day, but in the end the results are

1) and most importantly, I managed to not damage or break anything
2) after careful inspection and testing, all of it seems to work perfectly well
3) (bonus) I managed to do all this without dropping something on my toes, scratching the hell out of my skin or hurting myself in a new and exciting way.

Proper proud of myself

How is it manly if there wasn't blood???

:p

How is it manly if there wasn't blood???

:p
After some more fiddling with chain tensioners and brake setup, I grazed my knuckles against the spinning tyre, and there was some blood

So a couple of weeks ago our oven, which we knew was on its last legs and we were hoping to nurse until next year when we have saved enough to remodel the kitchen, crapped out on us.

Bit of a pain but such is life. Went online to a well-known provider in the UK to find a cheap, short term replacement. Price ?139.99 but just below that for ?139.49 the same thing with delivery, installation and removal/recycling of old appliance. Let's have some of that then!

Installation occurred today via a third party contractor who confirmed the seller had screwed up and we should have been charged ?239.49 but they are legally obliged to honour the deal as advertised.

Big Business 0 MWF & HWF3.0 1

:banana:

I knelt down on the patio last night in front of HWF3.0.

Please note I was proposing marriage not performing cunnilingus.

She said "yes."

Congratulations