The "Things that annoy me" thread

€330 from one pair of grandparents for one set of grandchildren that isn’t the only one? Am I weird for thinking that’s a huge amount of money?

€330 from one pair of grandparents for one set of grandchildren that isn’t the only one? Am I weird for thinking that’s a huge amount of money?
It's for multiple occasions all at once including
birthday presents for some of them and "sinterklaas" presents, it's 11 presents in total. But then again, it's their money I guess 😅.

It's for multiple occasions all at once including
birthday presents for some of them and "sinterklaas" presents, it's 11 presents in total. But then again, it's their money I guess 😅.

Ah, that makes sense now. If it had been for one or two kids for just one occasion, I’d have raised an eyebrow.

Ah, that makes sense now. If it had been for one or two kids for just one occasion, I’d have raised an eyebrow.
I just crafted a story in which the grandparents faked their own deaths at sea, claimed on the insurance and are completely loaded. :p

As a kid that would've been amazing. I thought my grandparents were rich when they bought a Dyson DC01 after it had just come out.

We've been buying glass test tubes on Amazon that come in a specific size, to fit a mold we have for a concrete base for something we sell on Etsy. Just last week, we decided we were going to "go big" into that specific item, so we bought 4 more base molds. Today, I went to go buy the glass, and it's no longer available. And, of course, it's seemingly a super unconventional size that nobody else seems to carry unless I want to pay 3x the price for more professional-lab-quality grade stuff.

Damnit...

Used to pay $1.39 for each 30mm x 165mm test tubes, and I can only find 30mm x 200mm for $4.60 each.

1667804214391.png

Speaking of no longer available, I hadn't got around to buying tickets for me and my dad to go to the classic motor show at the NEC this coming weekend. Went to book them last night and they're apparently sold out of Saturday tickets, despite still having family tickets for sale and claiming that tickets for Saturday will be on sale at the gate and online during the show.

I'm hoping that the See Tickets system they're using is just crap and they had an arbitrary number that they can increase, I suppose it's my own fault for waiting though.

Edit: Yep it was an arbitrary number thing, they're back on sale. Just found out that it's now £13 to park at the NEC though, ouch.

Last edited:
Board plane after boomer has delayed proceedings by several minutes because he “needed” to discuss something with the flight attendants. Why didn’t he board with the passengers-who-need-assistance group?

Walk to window seat, find another boomer in it. Ask him if he’s sure he’s in the right seat, get a wink and a “please take the middle seat, won’t you” nod. Nope. If I wanted one of the worst seats, I would have chosen it.

I’m tired of these arrogant pricks.

Ask him if he’s sure he’s in the right seat, get a wink and a “please take the middle seat, won’t you” nod.
annnnnd respect has gone out the window for that guy.

Dear Netflix,

Can we please have an option to hide the games? I've never played mobile games, and I sure am not going to play games with random dickhead 12 year olds because you stick them in among the movies. I get that some people are into that, but maybe let users hide those selections rather than making them BIG AND INTRUSIVE SECTIONS YOU HAVE TO SCROLL PAST.

My colleagues in charge of administering MS Teams policies...
First, everything was wide open - external / unknown people could see the status of all our employees. Not good.
Kneejerk reaction: SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN!
yeah... thanks for that guys. May not be an issue for most of the organisation, but like 80%+ of my work is with externals. And on top of that, 80% of my communication with them WAS through teams. NOT ANYMORE. can't chat / call / anything with externals anymore. cool. yup. thanks. that was a super helpful and measured response. not at all overdone or anything.
their solution currently? yeah any external you want to talk to, tell us about it first, so we'll put their tenant on a whitelist. which didn't even work with the first set of externals i told them to whitelist straightaway. still can't talk to them. that on top of this whole process still restricting my communication massively. ugh.

We should go back to ICQ or AIM.

Speaking of German Things.

Registering cars, go to the DMV whenever? Nope, you must make an appointment and when you do, assume some day in the future that's available as your backup. What you instead should just do is check the time slots available the morning of, say around 6 or 7 in the morning.

I'm used to going to the local currency exchange where I used to live because they also registered cars and had plates available behind the desk if you're not doing a special text or something. It was costly, but it could be done on a whim.

This being Germany, they might as well say “Just send a fax!”
You joke, but in the medical field we still use FAX. It amazes me - Uh guys, the 1980s called and wants their communication back.

Don't even get me started on trying to get my office to understand Teams, they all decided to use one recurring all-staff meeting as a general chat for everything. I even made channels to coordinate specific types of work - nope, just send everything in the meeting chat all the time.

You joke,

I wish I was joking, but fax machines are still completely normal in some areas of German day-to-day life; mainly healthcare, legal and public administration IIRC. For instance, our covid infection numbers (when testing was still readily available) were notoriously unreliable because some of the authorities involved communicated by fax.

I wish I was joking, but fax machines are still completely normal in some areas of German day-to-day life; mainly healthcare, legal and public administration IIRC. For instance, our covid infection numbers (when testing was still readily available) were notoriously unreliable because some of the authorities involved communicated by fax.

I remember reading that sometime halfway through the worst of it, they changed.

Speaking of German Things.

Registering cars, go to the DMV whenever?
This probably applies to most of the world, but if plates stayed with cars instead of this insistence in swapping them around all the time then it can be much more efficient, it can all be handled online and by the Welsh.

Making new plates and swapping them out for new owners is such a waste, the stickers aren't so much of a waste but they are very 20th century. I was initially concerned when paper tax discs were phased out here but it really wasn't a loss.

This probably applies to most of the world, but if plates stayed with cars instead of this insistence in swapping them around all the time then it can be much more efficient, it can all be handled online and by the Welsh.
Tbh in the German case this is entirely possible (ie there’s no obligation to change plates) and doesn’t change the bureaucratic nightmare one bit 🙈
rather, if you do decide to keep the plates, the bloody idiots at the dmv are utterly confused, screw half their shit up and then blame you for their mistake because you didn’t say I WANT TO KEEP MY PLATES I WANT TO KEEP MY PLATES I WANT TO KEEP MY PLATES over and over and over while they do their shit. Personal experience? Yes, how did you know? 🤦‍♂️ additionally the suddenly want five kinds of papers that aren’t necessary but THEY KNOW BETTER so they give you three minutes to produce everything in the middle of bumfuck nowhere that comes with another German classic, the FUNKLOCH, only to tell you then that no, you should’ve TOLD THEM OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER and they don’t actually need that why are you causing them so much stress and headache????

I only moved house and had to register the car at the new address. Nothing more. No further change. Just a different address. Yup.

Finally got around to returning the starter motor for the Opel. I get off work at 11. The post office in my town has a 2 hour lunch and by the time I get home and take Hank out for a walk, it’s too late and I have to wait until after 14:30 for them to return.