The "Things that annoy me" thread

No matter how many times I tell Google News "Fewer Stories Like This" or hide Sportball news sources, Google can't seem to get the hint that I don't give a shit about the NFL!

To go along with that:

A thing that annoys me is when you want to tell a website or app to hide something, and it says, "OK, we won't show you more like this."

No, wait, that's not what I mean! I just don't want to see this one thing anymore. And how broad is the "like this" category? I don't like the new Metallica song...if I say no more "like this", does it mean it won't play any more from a new album? Any more from Metallica at all? Any more rock at all? I have no idea what I'm committing to, so I usually end up backing out of the "block".

Yahoo Music used to have a system where you could give a thumbs up or down to specific categories. You could give a thumbs up to an album, but a thumbs down to a song. It was great (while it lasted). Thumbs up a band, but thumbs down an album.

Last edited:
Intel LGA 775 stock coolers and their mounting systems. They are so unintuitive, I managed to break two feet on two separate coolers in the past few days.

Intel LGA 775 stock coolers and their mounting systems. They are so unintuitive, I managed to break two feet on two separate coolers in the past few days.
Not to mention LOUD. So glad to retire the Core 2 Duo my parents had with its stock cooler, although it'll be a novelty if I get it out again in some years time. The mounting system is crap too, even if you aren't breaking the feet it can sound like you are.

I've changed the email address in my customer account at a company. Weeks later, I get their emails still to the old address. I log into the account on their website, and the new address is there in my personal data, like it should be. So I open a support ticket telling them their system is borked at that particular point.
Yesterday I've received another email from them to my old address. Today I've received an email reply to my ticket: "Your new email addresshas already been active in your customer profile. We have now updated the entry for email correspondence as well." What the fuck, if not for email correspondence, for what is the address I can update myself in my customer profile, then? No, it is in fact not the login.

That's shit, but kind of funny.

I've changed the email address in my customer account at a company.
We may have been customers at the same company. Or my wife was. Or something. Because that sounds WAY too familiar :|

That's shit, but kind of funny.
Once you actually figure that shit out... but how much time do you needlessly spend thinking you're the one who's too dumb instead of their system being shit?

Also: I can sort of imagine what must've preceded the decision to set up the system that way. Probably some lousy compromise crap where someone said "fuck it" at some point, and now customer support has to deal with a design flaw in the system asusual...

the hot garbage that is the MS teams windows app... holy crap

earlier today: get a notification on my phone that I got a message on MS teams (on a guest account to a different organization - which is a whole other annoyance in itself). ok, switch orgs in teams on my PC, only to find: message not there. give a thumbsup on my phone to that message - boom it pops up on the PC instantly.

later: get a windows (!) notification that I have a new message in a different org. click on that notification, teams pops up, switches orgs and hey presto: no message there.

how is the latter even possible??? my local teams client must have received the mssage, otherwise where's the bloody notification from? why won't it actually SHOW me the mssage then?

... as i'm typing this, the latter message did finally show up, about 15 minutes late.
hot garbage, i tell you.

The fact that Teams can't keep the status of people up-to-date is annoyance enough for me, let alone anything else. I don't have a work phone so I never have to worry about it syncing, I only sign in on my personal phone if I really need to.

Any program or device that changes settings when there is an update. Leave my settings alone!

the hot garbage that is the MS teams windows app... holy crap

earlier today: get a notification on my phone that I got a message on MS teams (on a guest account to a different organization - which is a whole other annoyance in itself). ok, switch orgs in teams on my PC, only to find: message not there. give a thumbsup on my phone to that message - boom it pops up on the PC instantly.

later: get a windows (!) notification that I have a new message in a different org. click on that notification, teams pops up, switches orgs and hey presto: no message there.

how is the latter even possible??? my local teams client must have received the mssage, otherwise where's the bloody notification from? why won't it actually SHOW me the mssage then?

... as i'm typing this, the latter message did finally show up, about 15 minutes late.
hot garbage, i tell you.
I'm having far too many grievances with Microsoft, Windows and all of their Office 365 apps at work to even want to touch that when not at work. The move to Mac back in 2011 made my daily computer life much easier.

I'm having far too many grievances with Microsoft, Windows and all of their Office 365 apps at work to even want to touch that when not at work. The move to Mac back in 2011 made my daily computer life much easier.

This, but 2006.

Personally I think I'd find switching between two computer operating systems more irritating than Windows niggles, maybe I just smooth out the bumps being a Windows IT admin or I'd be classed as an enthusiast but I don't find it annoying to work with on a daily basis.

Before I got my iPad I used a Mac VM for sorting my iCloud albums and it was OK but the UI differences were annoying. I was considering buying a MacBook instead of the iPad but it didn't make sense in any way.

The X5 ticked over 222222km today, but I couldn't stop to get a picture :( I'd been looking forward to it for ages!

I have a laptop running Debian for my daily use but I also have Windows 11 on dual boot, just because.
I recently moved to an office and they provided me with an extra monitor, which is nice.
While running Debian, I plugged it in and it just worked®. No extra drivers, no fiddling with configs, nothing. Just choose if I want to extend desktop right or left and we're set.
A few days later, I decided to update Windows, which is something I do regularly, and the monitor simply does not work. After some googling, it seems like it is too old for Windows 11 compatibility. :-|
I thought it was supposed to be the other way around, with Linux being "difficult".

I have a laptop running Debian for my daily use but I also have Windows 11 on dual boot, just because.
I recently moved to an office and they provided me with an extra monitor, which is nice.
While running Debian, I plugged it in and it just worked®. No extra drivers, no fiddling with configs, nothing. Just choose if I want to extend desktop right or left and we're set.
A few days later, I decided to update Windows, which is something I do regularly, and the monitor simply does not work. After some googling, it seems like it is too old for Windows 11 compatibility. :-|
I thought it was supposed to be the other way around, with Linux being "difficult".
HDMI connection? There is no need for drivers really, it's being too smart for its own good. A VGA connection would likely be fine, an HDMI to VGA adapter might get it working.

Nice to see you here, by the way. :)

HDMI connection? There is no need for drivers really, it's being too smart for its own good. A VGA connection would likely be fine, an HDMI to VGA adapter might get it working.

Nice to see you here, by the way. :)
Yes, HDMI.
The monitor has a VGA input, and I won't buy an HDMI-VGA adapter just because Windows does not want to play nice, but it's a good suggestion to keep in mind if I ever really need to use them together.
Also, hi. :wave: