The "Things that annoy me" thread

On Reddit, someone was looking for help identifying a guitar used in a black and white country music video where you only saw portions of it, and usually partially out of focus.

I figured out what model it was, from the 1960s, from a small Italian builder, found better photos of the item, found a 10-year-old magazine article with the musician with the guitar, and even found a second music video with clearer views of it to confirm my findings. Dude didn't even provide a link to video he was asking about, just posted the name of the song.

Not even so much as a single upvote. 😅

Here, have one!

Bloody Sahara sand blowing all over the place. Everything looks like we're in the friggin Wild West now, covered in rust-colored fine sand UGH. Will have to wash the car again and all the windows and everything. But when?
This so very much. Tried to get the worst off the car with a simple garden hose, but nope.

Also, there’s little point to washing right now, as the next rainshower will have more Sahara sand….

OK that was a fluke. It works until I work up a nice sweat, then it’s gone. Ugh. Half a year old. RMA here we come then…
Well... amazon is a bunch of bastards...
Sent the bloody thing in to their "repair center" and was told it was gonna be max. 12 days. The repair status was supposed to be tracked on their site somewhere but in my case it only knew two states: "waiting for your package" and, now, "has your repaired item returned yet?". If I answer the latter with no, it just tells me to get in contact with their customer service. Yup... good process right there, amazon, real nice. The customer rep doesn't seem to get that I sent the device in for repair, rather than a refund/whatever to amazon and is under the impression the article never arrived with them (it didn't, it went to amazon repair, which seems to be different for whatever fuckall reason).

edit: after a bunch of to and fro the rep seems to have found my repair order and tells me the repair just takes up to 15 or more (sic) days (after their process originally communicated 12) and that the device should be back with me in the next 48 hours. no tracking info no nothing, just "trust, it's gonna show up somewhere".

What happened, Jeff? amazon processes like this used to be amazingly efficient, simple and above all transparent (or at least they felt like you knew what was going on). what is this garbage?

Last edited:
I got a 100% grade on an assignment. OK, fine. But then the teacher added a comment, which they don't always do. So they made the conscious decision to add an additional, manually-written note:

"Interesting..."

No additional context. What the heck am I supposed to do with that? 😅

It was just a small exercise where the grade is basically "did you turn something in within the required parameters?", but c'mon...

I got a 100% grade on an assignment. OK, fine. But then the teacher added a comment, which they don't always do. So they made the conscious decision to add an additional, manually-written note:

"Interesting..."

It was just a small exercise where the grade is basically "did you turn something in within the required parameters?", but c'mon...

interesting.gif

"Interesting..."

Intriguing.

Got to bed late last night, i dreamt i woke up at 1pm and wasted my sunday. Turns out it was 7:30, and i was refusing to check the clock for a while and kept rolling over. Never happened, so up i got. Great…

When you are already getting a product or service from a company and they send you the bill (electric mail or not) with an advertisement for exactly what you already get from them. This isn't a new deal you qualify for, it is exactly the same deal you get.

Script tattoos. Nobody wants to read your arm. Or the trap women use putting a script tattoo just below the neck. You put something there that you display and don't want people to read? I am confused.

My favorite version of these is the Uber patriot that gets the "WE THE PEOPLE" from the Constitution, or some other patriotic phrase, in not very large old timey script that is done by an amateur tattooist that looks like they were detoxing and had the shakes really bad. If you insist on having the text tattoo visible, at least make it legible!

edit: after a bunch of to and fro the rep seems to have found my repair order and tells me the repair just takes up to 15 or more (sic) days (after their process originally communicated 12) and that the device should be back with me in the next 48 hours. no tracking info no nothing, just "trust, it's gonna show up somewhere".
So, instead of 48 hrs later it’s now… I dunno 150 hrs later? And I get an email from Amazon that my repair is delayed (no shit?) and it’s gonna take another 10 working days. Ffs. But at least they now graciously offer to just replace the thing… or maybe they’ll just refund me or sth I don’t know 🤦‍♂️
… not that I care too much, I have a replacement anyway, but the hassle is extremely annoying.

Schools annoy me.
My kid is in 9th grade, which means he has to choose a school for next year since his current school does not have a 10th grade.
His options are staying with the same school group as the current one (okay school, but not great) or two other schools that are much better but further away and harder to get accepted.
He gets always the best possible grades, "gold student", etc. so it should be possible, but we'd like to know the school before choosing, or at least have an idea of what they offer, so I call them to schedule a visit.
School one: "We don't do visits because we're always in high demand. you don't need to visit us, just look at our rankings. We're better then some private schools, so you either want to study here or not."
School two:
"-Hi, my son is in 9th grade...
-You have to call the secretary. It opens at 2PM."
(It was 1:58PM)

so I call them to schedule a visit.
not to be an ass or anything... but how do you expect that to possibly work? for a school that probably gets 100+ new students each year (just assuming, usually over here at that level it should be 100-150+), do you honestly expect them to possibly do 100 individual visits with parents to show them around and tell them about the school? I am 100% on board with the first school just blankly refusing to do that.

what they do over here, which is better but still a bit dumb, is that they have a Saturday explicitly for everyone to come and see the school. it's useless of course, because that way you can assess the building and the facilities and whatnot, but you can't possibly get any idea of the actual teaching and concept, because it all turns into a bloody theater show thing for the visiting kids and their parents. there is 0 actual teaching that day. also of course the schools manage to schedule their visit days on the same exact Saturday so you don't actually have a chance of visiting more than one school. useless garbage.

... can you tell my wife is a teacher and is annoyed every single day by intrusive parents demanding (no, not asking for) special treatment for their child? :| doesn't help that half of the "leadership" (whoever thought it was a good idea to have teachers be the managers of schools for fucks sake? that's a bloody admin job, they're all incompetent!) at her school are spineless jagweeds that ass-kissed their way up the ladder who are incapable of telling anyone no. see, now that annoys me as well :D

Not to say that iOS is completely free from any issues, but it's this kind of thing that drove me from Android to iPhone. It became apparent that there were too many software versions and too much hardware variation for me to be confident in the OS. My last HTC had a shit camera, my last Android phone (a Sony) had crappy performance. Limiting hardware and software really helps.
time zones in software are hard mhmmmkaaaayyyy? :hammer:

Apple managed to screw up the DST change one spring many years ago. Millions of people overslept including me. I wonder how many billions it cost if you count everyone's emergency taxi trips, missed flights and meetings etc. Me being 15 minutes late for work, uncaffeinated and badly shaved probably didn't register on the gauge.

And the Webasto heater in my car has Webasto's own remote control kit with its own cloud service and app. I've got a recurring departure time set, every weekday morning, from fall to spring. I remember once coming out to a defrosted but cold car since it turned on an hour earlier than it was supposed to.

Bought yet another USB power bank to keep in the boat for emergencies. The box said “USB C cable included”. IMO, this is not that. Yet more e-waste.

IMG_2324.jpeg

The person who programmed the traffic lights at this major intersection with 4 lanes in each direction, to allow THREE cars to cross needs to be shot.

It reminds me of the traffic in the Futurama titles. If the cycle is short then it'll be your turn again sooner. Even if you have someone who daydreams and is slow to react it shouldn't make much difference. Unless there are pedestrian crossings that get their turn every cycle.

When a medical facility bills you in any other way than what it is known as.

When a medical facility bills you in any other way than what it is known as.
Er… I’m not sure I understand. You mean if they outsource their billing to random billing processor 123 ltd who then show up in your account and you have to figure out who the hell they think they are?

… we got a medical bill late last year from a kidney screening for our daughter. Which happened two days after her birth. In the summer of 2021.
Yup. Took them nearly two and a half years to send the bill. From an external billing service of course. At least the insurance reimbursed that without a fight… that one I actually did not expect. Fully expected they’d pull the „too late, bye“ on us.