Today I Learnt...

Two weeks of deliberating over a washing machine and the outcome was a foregone conclusion a.k.a. a Miele. The man certainly was a bit difficult.

Only because Dyson pulled out of the market. :p

Last edited:

I have a brand new washer and dryer in my apartment and I want to smack whoever picked them out. And whoever designed them. The washer is a "smart" washer, whatever that means. When I press the start button, it will sit there "sensing" something for god knows how long. Then the actual wash cycle ranges in time from 1 to 2 hours and I can't figure out a pattern to it either. I've timed it versus load level and there doesn't seem to be a pattern. At the end of the spin cycle, you'd think it would unlock the cover and let me take my clothes out? Nope. It will stop, then spin again for 2 seconds then stop then spin again then stop then spin again. Sometimes it will do this once, sometimes twice, sometimes three times. Then the dryer takes about 3 hours and 2 lint trap cleanings to actually get my clothes dry.

TIL, there are more female licensed drivers in the state of Missouri than male. There are also more vehicles registered in the state of Missouri than there are drivers.

Big Boring MoDOT PDF said:
Number of licensed drivers in Missouri
Male 2,097,189 - Female 2,183,249
Total 4,280,438

Big Boring MoDOT PDF said:
Passenger Cars 3,597,056
Trucks 1,449,053
Recreational Vehicles 17,087
Buses 13,086
Motorcycles/Tricycles 156,989
Total 5,233,271

And according to Wikipedia, there are just over 6 million people in Missouri so thats not a bad cars to total population ratio.

American, we're a little late with technology. :D

Not really a TIL but a This Week I learned. In the Munich airport, the escalators slow down when no one is using them to conserve energy. And the hotel I'm at has motion sensing lights so that nothing is left on to waste energy when no one is around. It's awesome.

It's like aluminIum, only sweeter.