Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Still, merits a Darwin Award honorable mention - lots of people get killed annually by just that stupid move.

Jacks have a distressing tendency to collapse at the wrong time. You are betting your life on a ?0.01 0.75mm thick O-ring made in China holding a seal. Don't know about you, but this gambler wouldn't make that bet.

Last edited:
Well the jack is rated to lift something like 2 tons, hence being too big for the jacking point, and there was an axle stand shoved under at a dodgy angle for good measure.

Yeah, still incredibly stupid, especially with everything else you said (uneven gravel, really?). It's all fun and games until it isn't. The jack is rated to lift 2 tons, but that says nothing about its ability to keep it there.

As I said, I'd have never gotten under it, and I voiced my concerns at the time. But I have no authority over what other people do, at the end of the day it'd just come down to "You don't even own a car", or "I've done this loads of times".

I was reading the car audio thread earlier on and it came to my attention, does any company make a head unit that doesn't look like it's targeted specifically at twelve year olds? (yeah, still not old enough to say that am I?, but my points still stands). If I were to buy an aftermarket head unit, I would want it to sit flush with the car and look like it's supposed to be there instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. The head unit in my sister's car fizzled out last year and she got it replaced with a JVC with stupid flashing lights, it drives me crazy.

Beckers that i've seen are typically quite sleek looking

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/03/23/2rohnao.jpg

but you do pay a premium for the looks

I was reading the car audio thread earlier on and it came to my attention, does any company make a head unit that doesn't look like it's targeted specifically at twelve year olds? (yeah, still not old enough to say that am I?, but my points still stands). If I were to buy an aftermarket head unit, I would want it to sit flush with the car and look like it's supposed to be there instead of sticking out like a sore thumb. The head unit in my sister's car fizzled out last year and she got it replaced with a JVC with stupid flashing lights, it drives me crazy.

I agree 110%, most aftermarket head units look like ass..plus their tiny buttons/knobs make it a pain to use while driving.

also, OT...I think you're old enough to use the 12 year old analogy...there's a big difference in the maturity level behavior wise,etc.

I got so sick of people trying to drive through me that I installed an air horn in my car. Apparently that wasn't enough so today I installed a couple electric horns too. If I can't get someone's attention with this setup they are either deaf or brain-dead.

Does anyone here have a Jetta Sportwagen with CT plates and an "I'm the Stig" sticker on the back? I was behind someone today with this car and was wondering it if was a fellow member.

I got so sick of people trying to drive through me that I installed an air horn in my car. Apparently that wasn't enough so today I installed a couple electric horns too. If I can't get someone's attention with this setup they are either deaf or brain-dead.

This post is wortheless without a video.

Beckers that i've seen are typically quite sleek looking

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/03/23/2rohnao.jpg

but you do pay a premium for the looks

A proper Becker

l_00015103.jpg

The ?1k price tag stings a little.