The "Things that annoy me" thread

You know what I mean. :p :D

1709297552744.png

Also, the best kind of correct is TECHNICALLY correct

Duct tape is not only good for hostage situations, it's good for hiding pointless clock displays too. Don't get me started on clocks in cars.
If you have duct tape and WD40 you can basically McGuyver anything into doing what it needs to do

1709297632008.png

I wish I could just not set a clock on either the microwave or oven and have it just not display a time...but, no...they have to default to 12:00 when powered on, and my brain will not allow them to show a wrong time, even if it's clearly hours and hours off.

Hm. I’ve actually gone and checked if there are any cartons in my fridge. There’s a milk carton with a loose cap and a juice carton with a tethered one. If I remember, I shall report my findings. 😂

My sample size of two is too small. But since they were both on tetra paks from the same juice company (Rauch), I can report that theirs aren't annoying as long as they are intact. On the top part of the cap, there's a little tip that extends below its edge and pushes against the spout (I'm really pushing my vocabulary here) when you bend the cap over, thereby keeping the cap from rotating. But when someone else in the household tears one of the little plastic bits that keep the whole thing under a bit of tension when it's open, the cap will always rotate down and right into the way of your juice.

Oh, and I think 1996 wants its problems back.

23X9x1.gif

Seems this kitchen clock thing is an epidemic.

We need to fix this.

Reddit.com/r/wheredidthesodago

Seems this kitchen clock thing is an epidemic.

We need to fix this.
Indeed. Does anyone actually use the clocks on kitchen appliances? Other than for a timer that’s completely clock-independent?

The oven in my sister’s house has a clock and before she moved in it had been reset, when the power was off. The oven won’t turn on at all without the clock being set, what kind of bullshit is that?

The oven in my sister’s house has a clock and before she moved in it had been reset, when the power was off. The oven won’t turn on at all without the clock being set, what kind of bullshit is that?

Same here. I guess it’s a way for Electrolux/AEG to sell more replacement clock units. Because of course, the buttons on those wear out eventually and then you can hardly even set the clock to any time, let alone the correct one.

My oven doesn’t work if the clock isn’t set either.

I actually load my coffee maker and set the timer every night so I wake up to the soothing spluttering sound of fresh coffee. I never thought I would pick that habit up after I got a coffee maker with a timer on it, because it happened to have a detachable water tank. But I did.

But the microwave doesn’t even have anything that uses the stupid clock.

Indeed. Does anyone actually use the clocks on kitchen appliances? Other than for a timer that’s completely clock-independent?
I occasionally tell my oven to turn on at a specific time for a specific duration at some setting. Would be doable with a "start in X minutes and run for Y minutes" thing, but is more convenient with "run for Y minutes and finish at Z". Its clock is fairly accurate though.

Everybody selling used Ikea Ivar shelving locally only ever seems to have the ~12"deep x 70"H version...but I need the deeper, taller one.

I have a cold and it refuses to go away. Cough, sore throat, constant sneezing and headaches. Ugh. Whole week. Leave me alone!
… I used to think weeeeell slight cold just to make you stay in bed for a day, that’s actually quite nice. But no! Can’t stay in bed and now the fucker won’t go away 🤦‍♂️

Recently, I've been noticing more and more just how awkwardly people hold objects in commercials so as not to obscure, or just show off, the branding on the packaging.

A recent example I saw was for the candy, Mamba. I think the actor was sitting in his car. He was holding the bag of candies up above the door's sill so you could see it through the open window, while placing a piece of candy in his mouth. Not incredibly odd, but then I remembered that the candy comes individually wrapped in that bag, and he would have had to have used both hands to unwrap it. So he would have opened the bag with two hands, put the bag down to unwrap a piece, then pick the bag bag up and hold it up before putting the unwrapped piece of candy in his mouth.

Another one was someone holding a bag of chips by the very bottom (something you also often see when people holding cans of soda where they are barely holding on the very bottom), and then they are holding it so high that they are having to reach up and over the top of the bag, to then reach down into the bag, without looking into it...you know, like how no human would ever eat from a bag of chips. 😅

I don't know why, but these have never bugged me before even when painfully obvious...but for some reason they annoy me now.

The Lisbon public transport system is fine. It could be better, but it's fine.
As expected, you can buy monthly passes for your municipality (which I do) but I also have a debit card associated to it in case I need an occasional trip outside the city, but said card is no longer valid and I haven't bothered updating it (this will be important later).
Recently they launched an app that allows me to buy those monthly passes instead of going to a metro station for that.
I download the app, it works as expected.
Saturday, I swipe my card when going back home and "INVALID CARD - BLACKLISTED"
Monday afternoon I go to one of the three offices available to deal with that and grab a ticket (266), they are calling 229 🤡
2 hours and a half later, it's finally my turn.
I explain what happened and the guy goes "You used the app? We're having issues when people buy the monthly pass for their municipality but the system puts a monthly pass for Oeiras on their card. It's always Oeiras, for some reason. Let me see your card."
Yep. That's what happened, but since I had a debit card asssociated, instead of refusing to work since March 1st, it was accumulating all those trips and when it tried charging to my account, it was declined and therefore BLACKLISTED.
On the upside, the guy was very helpful and made me a new card, but I still have to sort out the pendind charges.

When articles have several links within the body text that seem like at least one of them should take you to the source of the information, or directly to the product page for the thing they are writing about...but instead the links are just to pages about things like the general concepts.

When I'm reading an article about a very specific $30,000 guitar, I probably don't need a link to a webpage describing "What is an electric guitar?". When the guitar was owned by a specific musician and they mention his band, does the underlined band name really need to be a link to a "Ranked list of albums by..." article about that band? It gets more annoying when there isn't an actual link anywhere on the page to the direct source/subject of the article.

It would be like an article about the Cybertruck that just has links to the Wikipedia article for "truck", the amazon page for a biography about Nikola Tesla, and then no actual link to the Cybertruck's page on Tesla's website.

Reading comments under an ad for a type2 charger. Someone asks how fast it is and the seller replies “it charges at 11 kilowatts per hour”

Why is this so hard for half of the world population to get right, even people that sell these things?

My car has a fuel tank that fits five bowling balls per hectare, and it usually returns a fuel mileage of seven hippopotamuses per Melbourne.

Why is this so hard for half of the world population to get right, even people that sell these things?
Because they have no interest in understanding what any of what they’re saying actually means. In my experience it really usually is as simple as that. That’s why they also don’t care it’s wrong - „you know what I mean!“

What I actually find even worse is people from the industry who do know better saying things wrong in a misguided and completely unnecessary try to „shorten things“ - I.e. saying kilowatt instead of kilowatthours. Bloody morons. Similar: going „back in two-15“ instead of twenty-15. what the fuck?

Last edited:
They omitted "thousand" instead of "hundred" :dunno:
Yes, but it doesn’t make any sense that way. I fully understand trying to shorten it, but just stop somewhere it still makes sense… hence the twenty instead of two thousand.

Something lately I’ve noticed when I ask people here in germany why something is the way it is, like how a finished kitchen wor flooring, or one or two ceiling lights arent just part of the apartment.

Welcome to Germany.

„Is it always so grey and rainy like the UK?“

Welcome to Germany.