Random Thoughts....

Metal pickup truck mirror: 1
Plastic mystery car mirror: 0

Yep, some idiot clipped my dad's truck last night. No visible damage to the truck but there's a nice assortment of broken plastic and glass from the other car. :D

Metal pickup truck mirror: 1
Plastic mystery car mirror: 0

Yep, some idiot clipped my dad's truck last night. No visible damage to the truck but there's a nice assortment of broken plastic and glass from the other car. :D

Which reminds me of a 2-lane back road. Older Dodge Ram with the metal mirrors was riding the center lane and drifted a bit into the oncoming lane. The other lane had a newer F150 with the plastic mirrors. Well they hit mirrors at about 80 km/h.

Guess who won?

I've got 10 e-bucks on the older Ram. 8)

And while the plastic mirror was saving the other car a little bit on gas, they now how to cough up all those savings to replace it. :p

I've got 10 e-bucks on the older Ram. 8)

:lol:, the plastic mirrored shattered into a million pieces all over the road. The other mirror just folded.

So, I was at the bar (pub, whatever...) drinking some beer with friends. Then, one of those silly friendly discussions started. Of course, no one got to an agreement so, for the good of my own pride, I'm going to post the question here so more people and perhaps a few natives can answer it.
Situation is: you are in the US, driving along one of those straight roads across the countryside. Almost no traffic, and you're behind the wheel of a fast car. You're just a little over the speed limit (ie. if the limit is 60 mph, you were doing 65-70 mph). Suddenly, a cop starts the pursuit. You:
a)Put the pedal to the medal, and try to smoke the cop, even though it might get you in trouble as he'd probably already written your license plate down;
b)Pull over, listen to what the cop has to say, even though he'll probably fine you.

This is supposed to be on the real world! No Holywood-like ideas, no false heroism! Imagine yourselves on this situation... what would you do?

If you pull over, you will almost definitely get off. Anyways, they don't usually pull people over for going 5 or 10 over the limit.

Of course you'd pull over. You'd panic to begin with, thereby making silly driving decisions, eventually throwing the car into a tree.

Pull over. Only a moron would run.

Jeez, you guys never seen one of those recorded runaway scenarios on tv? Those guys have helicopters and all :) And guns. And they have something like a "precision bump-you-off-the-road manoeuvre" which like, bumps you off the road and leaves you stranded in the bushes with your pants down.
Cops like friendly, patient people as much as you do.

Jeez, you guys never seen one of those recorded runaway scenarios on tv? Those guys have helicopters and all :) And guns. And they have something like a "precision bump-you-off-the-road manoeuvre" which like, bumps you off the road and leaves you stranded in the bushes with your pants down.
Cops like friendly, patient people as much as you do.

I saw that on TV a couple of weeks back. Awesome. Trust Americans to think of something like that! :p

What they do is tap your (assuming you're in the getaway car) rear quarter-panel and push you into a spin. It has to be precise so as not to flip the offending vehicle, nor send it flying into oncoming traffic. Done well it barely leaves a mark on the police car. I think its great, and it'd be totally worth being a highway cop just for that! So stupidly dangerous though! :D

i just love US police shows. some of the stupid things the guys do when they are being chased makes me :roflmao:

way better than UK shows, all they do is crash of jump out of the car. usually before it has stopped

best thing i ever saw on a cop show was a guy who was giving the finger to everyone in a ford :? yes, that includes the cops in the crown vic.

so the cop starts talking to him:

cop: "sir, will you calm down"
guy: "why don't get in that ford and go..."

cop pulls out tazer stun gun thing

cop: "i will use this"
guy: "go on then!"

so the cop does :lol:

this guy just screamed and kinda passed out.

So, I was at the bar (pub, whatever...) drinking some beer with friends. Then, one of those silly friendly discussions started. Of course, no one got to an agreement so, for the good of my own pride, I'm going to post the question here so more people and perhaps a few natives can answer it.
Situation is: you are in the US, driving along one of those straight roads across the countryside. Almost no traffic, and you're behind the wheel of a fast car. You're just a little over the speed limit (ie. if the limit is 60 mph, you were doing 65-70 mph). Suddenly, a cop starts the pursuit. You:
a)Put the pedal to the medal, and try to smoke the cop, even though it might get you in trouble as he'd probably already written your license plate down;
b)Pull over, listen to what the cop has to say, even though he'll probably fine you.

This is supposed to be on the real world! No Holywood-like ideas, no false heroism! Imagine yourselves on this situation... what would you do?

Pull over. Otherwise, let me know when you figured out a way to outrun a radio.

I would like to mention that the whole "police will stop at the state border" idea is not true. About the only thing on the other side of that border you will meet will be more cops.

I just got back from Santa Cruz and saw something interesting on the road. A classic 1930s Rolls Royce... doing about 75 mph.

It's odd looking in the rear view mirror and seeing those three big headlights.