Ownership Verified: A Jeep joins the family! Welcome to the Bearokee!

And rightfully so, the e-fan is really just an auxiliary fan that kicks in at ~210 and when the A/C is on. However, you mentioned that turning your cabin heat off dropped temps - I'm not 100% familiar with the XJ's HVAC, but many vehicles kick in the A/C when the heater is set to the defrost vents. If your A/C was running and the e-fan was kaput, that could certainly cause a temperature spike.

And rightfully so, the e-fan is really just an auxiliary fan that kicks in at ~210 and when the A/C is on. However, you mentioned that turning your cabin heat off dropped temps - I'm not 100% familiar with the XJ's HVAC, but many vehicles kick in the A/C when the heater is set to the defrost vents. If your A/C was running and the e-fan was kaput, that could certainly cause a temperature spike.

Right. We'll see when I get it back tomorrow.

As far as the defrost vent setting goes, my Jeep is ALWAYS set to defrost vents. The reason?

rJl6uGsl.jpg

Its not critical, so its on my to-do list for when it get a little bit warmer. I could potentially wrap it in a million layers of electrical tape for the time being though..... I think I'll do that tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Is that a vacuum line? That sucks.

Yeah, remember me debating pulling lines when we were at Linders? Should've done it.

Luckily it comes in sections and the part with the break is on a relatively short bit so it should be easy to replace.

Yeah, remember me debating pulling lines when we were at Linders? Should've done it.

Luckily it comes in sections and the part with the break is on a relatively short bit so it should be easy to replace.

You can just clean cut that on each side and use standard vacuum hose to patch over it. Common fix on American cars with the stupid plastic vacuum hardlines. My Ford has three such patches.

Finally decided its irresponsibly dangerous to continue driving on pretty much bald mud tires, so I had the stock wheels fitted.

v28oDLK.jpg

Even with the mild 3" lift she still looks like she skipped leg day, but its incredible how much smoother and quieter she rides. Time to double my efforts hunting for a set of 31s.

Also dropped by O'Reillys to fix some things... Damn JKs are huge.

8gdYKt8.jpg

8YITsq6.jpg

Patched up the vacuum line, hooray the heat now blows out of all the vents!

Last edited:
Found an electrical gremlin today.... Over bumpy roads the "Low Washer Fluid" light throws a disco party despite the reservoir being 3/4ths full. Solution? Unplug the sensor :lol: I'll know when my washer fluid is low when no fluid comes out the jets.

Perhaps this is why that sensor was unplugged when I first bought the thing :hmm:

Oh the joy of old cars. Heat stopped blowing hot - just getting a lukewarm feel from the vents. First step check the hot/cold door under the dash to make sure its closing fully. Then a heater core flush. Hopefully between those 2 easy things, I'll get the heat back. Today's -10F commute was no fun.

At least I'm never bored with the Bearokee.

Last edited:
I've heard of a blend door that cracks. I think that's why the a/c doesn't "work" in my sisters cherokee.

The system is charged but, sort of cool air comes out of the vents. The compressor lines feel like they're working, one sweats and the other is burning hot. Although her heat works.

Oh the joy of old cars. Heat stopped blowing hot - just getting a lukewarm feel from the vents. First step check the hot/cold door under the dash to make sure its closing fully. Then a heater core flush. Hopefully between those 2 easy things, I'll get the heat back. Today's -10F commute was no fun.

At least I'm never bored with the Bearokee.

Ah, yeah, it got fucking cold! I had to go out for a bit in it last night and never really got warm in the vehicle.

Not sure what to make of this now. Coming back from work it was significantly warmer than in the morning, +10F compared to -10, and the heater was able to blow hot air no problem. At times it was actually hot enough that I had to back the temp down a few notches. Checked the hot/cold blend door back at my apartment and it seemed to be sealing fine with no cracks. Also the heater core hoses were hot to the touch so the flow was good.

We'll see how it handles tomorrow morning - forecasted to be -2F.

Try throwing a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. But it is just freaking cold that is the problem.

Why? So your car overheats? Air is drawn in at the cowel. Unless his temp gauge is low or the thermostat isn't opening, the cardboard thing won't help but make things worse. These cars already have a history of overheating.

If it overheats when it is below 20F, it has problems. But I never said completely seal off the radiator did I? Covering half of it or so should not hurt it one bit, and yet it will allow the interior to get warm.

If you do cover the radiator, cut a baseball sized hole in the middle of the cardboard, that will allow enough air in to keep it cool.

So the first part of today's commute had the same behavior as yesterday. It got lukewarm but not hot. Upon arriving at work though, I realized I forgot my laptop so I turned around and by the time I got home again it was blazing hot. My commute is about 20 miles each way so its not like it didn't have time to warm up. Ambient temp this morning was around 4F

Last edited:
Cardboard in front of the rad. Old car winter classic.

I can't remember, does that year of XJ have the vacuum-operated heater control valve that only allows hot coolant to flow through the core when heat is selected? If so it could be buggered up, just bypass it - I think it was factory-deleted in the 1997+ XJs anyway.

Last edited: