Fastest and easiest way to defrost my car windows

Oh, sometimes we need them in Texas. During the winter, it will occasionally get colder here than in Michigan or southern Canada. But no, they're not a regular-use item.

That said, I have my Pathfinder kitted out with most of the cold-weather gear that Nissan offered - block heater included. I figure it should be a "go anywhere anytime" vehicle. :D

The "experts" claim you should use the block heater if it's below -10 C. And it does save the engine from a lot of wear and tear.

Edit: Now that I think about it, both are probably illegal in Europe for global warming reasons or some other stupid reason. :p

It's legal over here, it just never really caught on. Tried that stuff once, and afterwards it was even harder to see out my windows than with ice on them, that stuff leaves some nasty residue.

I suspect you probably have a different formulation there than we do here. The Prestone stuff I use squeegees off and the residue is not apparent other than the lack of ice buildup.

For those who don't believe it ever gets cold in Texas, here's a pic from last March:
IMG_0249.JPG

Of course, sticking it in your car and running a cord outside means that you'll deform the door seals and have a wind or water leak eventually, so there's problems there too. :p

IMG_0102copy.jpg

IMG_0103copy.jpg

IMG_0104copy.jpg

To further annoy Spectre the electricity that powers this solution comes from renewable sources.

Last edited:
IMG_0102copy.jpg

IMG_0103copy.jpg

IMG_0104copy.jpg

To further annoy Spectre the electricity that powers this solution comes from renewable sources.

Is that standard kit on Swedish cars or does it involve modifying it yourself?

I am fucking with nature here.
I normally go outside, start the car, all electric defrosters (rear window and mirrors) on, heating to windows, full power, use this chemical antifreeze, scrape the rest off, ready to roll in ~2 minutes.

Global warming, my ass.

Is that standard kit on Swedish cars or does it involve modifying it yourself?

I don't know if it's standard, but pretty much all cars sold already have it installed...

Bunsen Burner, apply directly on the window. Bunsen burner, apply directly on the window. Bunsen Burner, apply directly on the window.

Joke aside, I just let my engine run and ac on max to defrost the back and side windows and scrape away with the trusty ice scraper. Already letting the glass heat up a bit also prevents them from immediately fogging up because of the body heat.

Edit: Now that I think about it, both are probably illegal in Europe for global warming reasons or some other stupid reason. :p

Leaving a car running unattended on a public road is actually an offence called "quitting" in this country. It is essentially an offence left over from when there were steam vehicles. There are a couple of reported incidents of people leaving the steam engine running unattended and it then exploding, taking a few people with it. Its just one of those offences that is still knocking about from the old days, although the police do use it every now and again to try and dissuade people from leaving the car running and unlocked, making it easy to nick.

It's technically against the law here, too:

Code:
? 545.404. UNATTENDED MOTOR VEHICLE.  An operator may not 
leave the vehicle unattended without:
		(1)  stopping the engine;                                                     
		(2)  locking the ignition;                                                    
		(3)  removing the key from the ignition;                                      
		(4)  setting the parking brake effectively;  and                              
		(5)  if standing on a grade, turning the front wheels to 
the curb or side of the highway.

However, it is legal to remote start the vehicle without a key, which is what my RKE does. The ignition is not unlocked, the key isn't in it, and when I left the vehicle the engine was stopped.

The rig I have also (re)locks the doors on remote start, and anyone breaking a window to get in or somehow opens the door without the key (or the remote) will instantly kill the engine - good luck getting it restarted if you don't know where I put the keyed override switch.

It's legal over here, it just never really caught on. Tried that stuff once, and afterwards it was even harder to see out my windows than with ice on them, that stuff leaves some nasty residue.

It's available though - we keep a can in the car.

Quick spray on the windows and it's done, letting me sit back in the car, mocking all the people who were scraping away hard. Haven't had any problems with residue - might be down to the brand you bought?

And what will he do when the heater runs his battery down to the point where his engine won't start?

I mean, he'll have nice frost-free windows upon which to place his hands to push his car, but that seems to be counterproductive...

*Raises hand*

But I haven't even used my aux heater, just the fan inside the car. Still, at least I had some friends to push it. :lol:

I like the Swedish approach, but I couldn't do that since I live on 2nd floor and have to park my car in the next side street.

Yes I'd like a diesel heater. Standard on Volvos but not on my made-for-sissy-winters-Astra.