Forums have been upgraded to vBulletin 5

Are the forums still being indexed? Performance still seems slow.

Is there a "Mark forums read" somewhere? Looked through help and didnt find any. (Search timed out while was looking for recent stuff among the million old things the "New Topics" finds :D )

Why on bloody earth do the themes change the font? Makes most unusable. :(

Last edited:
skeleton;n3542632 said:
Is there a "Mark forums read" somewhere? Looked through help and didnt find any. (Search timed out while was looking for recent stuff among the million old things the "New Topics" finds :D )

Why on bloody earth do the themes change the font? Makes most unusable. :(

Forums are now channels apparently...

Bav1uyt.png

I also agree a theme should be bought and implemented so that this interval period can be swiftly dealt with.

Another technical issue for me, I am not sure if there can be anything done about it:
The "new topics" page on the old forum was the result of a search and was accessible via a URL with the ID of the search in it. I presume vB4 did that by giving the user a HTTP redirect to a custom-made URL. Consequently, going from there to a thread and then back to the search results did not trigger a new search, but brought the user to the old search result.
With the new version, this approach does not work anymore, because the search result page URL is just the address behind the "new topics" link. So, navigating to a thread and then back to the search triggers a new search. This of course causes additional load on the server, and also often gives me the "15 seconds between searches" page instead, as just reading the last and only unread post in a thread often takes much less than that time.

As a workaround, I'm using "open in new tab" to read threads. But that's only an option on desktop where it can easily be done by middle button clicking. On mobile, it's not practicable.

Last edited:
I'm at the point where I can live with the theme, its the first unread post function that kills it for me. As I highlighted a few pages ago, I can get to the last post, but not first unread post. Once that fix and the option to disable the mobile layout come out, I'll be back on here as much as I was before.

EDIT: My signature was disabled again.... not sure why.... re-enabled it.

EDIT2: Went to Gen Auto and clicked (red arrow) a thread icon out of habit to bring me to the first unread post. Nothing happened. Doubled clicked it and all of a sudden got a spinny loading icon, my cursor turned into the sinning ball and got a working status message (green arrows). Its been sitting like that for 5 minutes. What is it working on? Is the server transforming into a decepticon?

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/NWsJz6o.jpg"}[/IMG2]

EDIT3: And the auto image resizer. These massive images are driving me crazy. Also when I went to edit the post, I could not add text below the image no matter how hard I tried. I had to delete the image, type my text and re-paste the BBcode. vB4 kept the img tags in the edit box, vB5 seems to plug in the actual picture and you can't do anything with it. I'm of the opinion that the edit box should keep the img tags.

Ok, so I guess the changes I'm requesting aren't that little. But yeah, as Spectre said, I'm sure we can get some funds together to purchase a custom theme for our board, and I'd be willing to contribute.

Last edited:
Hmm... has the indexing JUST finished? Everything seems snappy all of a sudden.

93Flareside;n3542618 said:
Are the forums still being indexed? Performance still seems slow.

Nope. Hasn't been for a week or two.

CrzRsn You're supposed to click on the "white double arrow down in a blue circle" symbol to get to first unread post.

THE FG LOGO IS BACK! W00T!

DanRoM;n3542656 said:
CrzRsn You're supposed to click on the "white double arrow down in a blue circle" symbol to get to first unread post.

Yeah I know that, just old habits since the old forum let you click the little symbol or the big thread icon. BUT, for some reason the white/blue symbol for me always takes me to the last post... not first unread.

Viper007Bond;n3542655 said:
Nope. Hasn't been for a week or two.
It still took 30-60 seconds to load the notifications page up until today.

Just had to "reset" my password to get in. Well whatever, it worked. ;) I'm glad, because I've always had problems with vBulletin, stretching back well over a decade at multiple sites on multiple computers. It seems to hate me for some reason.

Viper007Bond;n3542586 said:
And what do you recommend we do? I'm very open to suggestions but we aren't going back to vB4 -- it's unsupported and insecure.

I've tried googling for various UI changes that I'd like to see, and some are doable with just forum/style settings, some need tinkering with style templates, some are impossible without PHP modifications. What I mean is not structural changes (we just have to get used to them), but adjusting white spaces, alignment, font sizes, avatar sizes, colours etc.

I appreciate that this requires a ton of work, and you don't have the spare time to do it. I have very minimal experience with CSS and PHP and such, but I'm willing to donate my time to try and make this look like the original, if there is any way to organize this. Probably there are more qualified people who do too.

I even tried setting up a vb5 trial-forum (well, I just entered my email in the box, and they set it up ;)), but it doesn't allow modifying style templates, so it's pointless. Is there any way to set up a test forum and give someone high enough admin access to experiment with modifying the style?

MXM;n3542781 said:
I've tried googling for various UI changes that I'd like to see, and some are doable with just forum/style settings, some need tinkering with style templates, some are impossible without PHP modifications. What I mean is not structural changes (we just have to get used to them), but adjusting white spaces, alignment, font sizes, avatar sizes, colours etc.

I appreciate that this requires a ton of work, and you don't have the spare time to do it. I have very minimal experience with CSS and PHP and such, but I'm willing to donate my time to try and make this look like the original, if there is any way to organize this. Probably there are more qualified people who do too.

I even tried setting up a vb5 trial-forum (well, I just entered my email in the box, and they set it up ;)), but it doesn't allow modifying style templates, so it's pointless. Is there any way to set up a test forum and give someone high enough admin access to experiment with modifying the style?

You'll be laughing.. I was about to find out if I can't set up a forum for testing purposes myself the other day.. :D

Reactions: MXM
Clicking the white arrows that are supposed to take you to the last post don't do that for me. Any thread I click is still showing posts from weeks ago as being most recent, the mega threads show up as only 25 pages long until I click between 'latest activity' and 'posts' tabs, and even then I have to input the last page number manually to get to it.

Dr_Grip;n3542659 said:
THE FG LOGO IS BACK! W00T!

Not showing up for me....

Last edited:
Logo is visible on the default theme, but not on the Cool Blue one. Might be why some don't see it.

I do think that the complaints about the themes are a bit over the top, but I have one of my own: Especially on the mobile version there is simply not enought screen real estate used for actual content. The buttons at the top of the page are ridiculously large.