Gran Turismo 5

Last edited:
Don't use the feature? :| I plan not to.

You earn more money if you turn it off. You can't use it in online races of course so I don't really see that as an issue. The game also has automatic braking if you want it...

I really need to trade my G25 for a Fanatec, until then unfortunately I can't compare wheel experiences. GT5 really is very good with a wheel, I hope Forza can live up to it. But with a controller I prefer Forza, the vibration under wheel lockup is a very nice touch and thanks to the clutch, shifting is much more visceral.

Started the Suzuka 1000km race today with the GTR TC (fucking epic car) and it was raining when it started. I stopped after 55/172 laps (thanks to in-race save :)) and just over 2 hours (5 laps ahead :D), but it never stopped raining...is it gonna rain the whole race?

I'm averaging around 2:20/lap (2:15 w/ new tires, 2:25 w/ worn tires), but if it was dry, I could easily average 2:00-2:05. If it rains for the whole race, it would make it 45-50 mins longer. I hope it stops at some point.

Last edited:
Started the Suzuka 1000km race today with the GTR TC (fucking epic car) and it was raining when it started. I stopped after 55/172 laps (thanks to in-race save :)) and just over 2 hours (5 laps ahead :D), but it never stopped raining...is it gonna rain the whole race?

I'm averaging around 2:20/lap (2:15 w/ new tires, 2:25 w/ worn tires), but if it was dry, I could easily average 2:00-2:05. If it rains for the whole race, it would make it 45-50 mins longer. I hope it stops at some point.

It rained all the way through when I did it in both a-spec and b-spec.

You can rewind time!!!!!!!!!! fuck Forza and fuck your 360.

tumblr_lzrk84bLwX1r861j5o1_400.jpg

I dunno. From the limited experience I've had with Forza, I've enjoyed the driving feel just as much (but then again, I'm playing with a controller). I'm no professional driver, and from my opinion the simulation aspect seems pretty comparable, and I'm looking for a greater entertainment value from my video games (while still being realistic).

I don't believe they are comparable.

In real life, a Spec Miata, with racing slick tires and all the rest of the doodads, has to brake about 5 feet shy of the 3 board at Laguna Seca turn 2 going 98 MPH. A bone stock one can very safely brake in the same place in FM4. The braking zone for the stock NA in GT5 is about 100 feet back from there.

Continuing with the Spec Miata theme, the bone-stock NA MX5 in FM4 does a 1:57 at Infineon Long in my hands. I will be the first to admit it could probably go faster. The pole time for last year's Spec Miata race at Infineon was a 1:57 driven by Ken Sutherland, one of the best Miata wheelmen in the country - and he had 20 more horsepower and racing slicks. In reality a bone stock NA would be lucky to break 2:10.

GT5 can't match these specs either, but at least it gets closer. At least a bone stock NA Miata is a lot slower than a racing car in GT5. Some cars are over-tired, of course - cars like the M3 and 350z start out with sports hard tires which are far too grippy for the car, but they are still nowhere near as crazily fast as FM4 cars.

EDIT: FINALLY got that drift trial.

Did it with the Enzo on comfort hards. Ended with 5777 points.

Last edited:
Has there been anything exciting added to the game since the end of January? I have been playing Assassin's Creed Revelations and Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning for the past two months. I havn't even thought about GT5 until now since January.

The great thing about GT5 is that it doesn't take add-ons for it to be enjoyed (unlike Forza which relies on DLC for people to come back to it); you just start the game and either reload a race from the A-Spec career or simply pick a car and track and off you go. The driving experience itself should be something you should do once in a while, not just when new DLC or seasonal events are released.

Anyway, to update my 1000km Suzuka race...it's not gone well. :p

About 100 laps in, I decided to (stupidly) test out the "quit race" button to see if it will warn me like it does in normal races...but it didn't and all that progress was gone. Since I didn't want to restart it right away, I started the Nurburgring 4-hr race in my GT-R GT500 Stealth Model, which was alright, but not nearly as good as the GT-R TC I used for Suzuka. I finished that race today and started the Suzuka 1000km again...in the X2011. :D

With the X2011, I'm averaging around 1:15 laps and saved it after 100 laps (35 laps ahead of the AI :p). After this, I plan to do the Tsukuba 9-hr race :)glare:) and am wondering if I should just take the X2011 around and park it for a few hours, or take a more comparable car to make it more interesting?

I heard that people took the X raced it around for 5 hours and parked it for 4 and still won.

I just had a "poo is coming out" moment. I was on my last lap of the Tsukuba 9hr race (which wasn't as boring as the Miata 4hr race because I was driving the TOM'S Castrol Supra :D) and just as I was about to cross the finish line with the time just a few seconds over 9 hours, the 2nd place driver, who was almost a lap behind (I would've been like 40-50 laps ahead if I didn't take breaks to just let the clock run), suddenly appeared in 1st place in the rankings...:shock:. That happened like 2 seconds before I crossed the finish line, but 1 second before I finished I popped back into first place.

If I had to re-do that race just because of a stupid glitch that happened right at the end...
1281254452134.gif

...but, thanks to that "save" at the end:

everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg

:D

On to the 24 Hours of Le Mans. :)

Last edited:
Well, I tried the Redbull X1 for the Le Mans 24 hour race, but even though it was much faster than the competition, it was just way too bumpy on the straights and I don't think 24 hrs of my wheel shaking violently (even on a low force feedback setting) is very good for it or my hands.

I tried some other Prototype cars, but ended up buying the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP. Obviously it isn't nearly as fast as the X1, but it hardly shakes my wheel on the straights. It also sounds nice and looks cool in the Team Peugeot colours. :D

I did about 30 laps so far and am about a lap ahead of the 2nd place car (I put on a stage 3 turbo just to make sure I do this race only once :p).

One disappointing thing I did notice is that diesel fuel consumption is virtually the same as petrol. When I was testing Prototype cars I went out with the Jaguar XJR-9 (old V12 petrol engine) and it used around a quarter tank (25 L) in 3 laps; the modern diesel Peugeot used about the same. I hope they fix that in a patch one day.

The new Forza car pack is so much better than what we got :(

I want a Top Gear car pack for GT5.

Only slightly OT:
GT Acadamy said I've unlocked the leaf and the silvia for gt5, but I can't find anything about that in gt5.

Where is the error of my ways?