Idiots + cars = LOL

FedEx delivery truck sliding down mountain in Northern California :blink:

Naked Woman Stealing Police Truck

FedEx delivery truck sliding down mountain in Northern California :blink:

I wouldn't put it in Idiots thread, the trailer axel was stuck after jack-kniffing at the top, and for some reason the tow truck couldn't reach it, so they decided to let him drive down and do a rolling road block to give him space.

Awesome in my view.

Yeah, that is the awesome thread worthy in my opinion. Guy safely controlled his truck on crap tires and didn't hurt anybody or himself. Well done.

I wouldn't put it in Idiots thread, the trailer axel was stuck after jack-kniffing at the top, and for some reason the tow truck couldn't reach it, so they decided to let him drive down and do a rolling road block to give him space.

Awesome in my view.

Yeah, that is the awesome thread worthy in my opinion. Guy safely controlled his truck on crap tires and didn't hurt anybody or himself. Well done.

Just thought it was more crazy than good

It was crazy good.

Wow that truck with two trailers video was intense. Belongs in the awesome thread.

Idiot leaves key fob at home, gets locked out! :lol:
C2KYbMDUoAA1MNv.jpg

Tell me again how those keyless entries are just oh so great

One possible solution would be for the car to load a token into the phone app, so that you can authenticate and start it up via Bluetooth. That wouldn't help if your phone ran out of battery, but at least it would prevent you from being stranded where theres no cell service.

The even better solution would be for the car to see that the key isn't inside it and not let you drive away. Fords and Lincolns do that when remote started, I'm surprised Tesla doesn't.

The cars should really have some sort of AI that you can reason with. :p

Then the best car thieves would be con artists.

Once again I wonder what's wrong with needing one of these to open and start your car:
0Ao2Zzx.jpg

Go home old man. You don't know whats cool and hip :p

The issue is that on a Tesla, there's no "Start/Stop" button. Your ass is essentially a human squeeze trigger like your hands are on a push lawn mower - sit on the seat and the car turns "on," get up and the car turns off.

In other cars, you can get out without the fob and it stays running and it'll just beep and say something like "key not in vehicle" on the display.

I can only assume that this is because it's supposed to be futuristic and start/stop buttons are ICE holdovers or whatever bullshit excuse Elon and Co. can come up with that their fanboys will jizz themselves over.

Last edited:
Once again I wonder what's wrong with needing one of these to open and start your car:
This dude didn't even bring the key, hence going back to get it. The phone is meant to use in emergencies when keys are forgotten.

What a damn idiot. LOL :D First, not having your fob with you is dumb. Second, I may hate my keyless fob and start button in my Charger but I will never not have my fob with me.

P.S. heck of a spot to get stranded. Good for pictures indeed.

Last edited:
Assuming the story is true, the implementation by Tesla is dumb. It illustrates a typical error of "internet of things" devices, and one that is put in on purpose most times, I suspect.

Having a device communicate to another device via internet and even worse via central servers operated by a company is idiotic when the two devices are on the same home network or (as in this case) in Bluetooth/WiFi range of each other. This has no advantages to the customer and only opens up error possibilities caused by network outage (as in this case) or even perma-death to the device the customer paid for when the company goes out of business or simply decides not to support a product anymore and shuts down the server.

In this particular case, there is another thing wrong with the implementation: The phone acts as a substitute keyfob - but not at all times. Thus encouraging customers to leave the fob at home despite the distinct possibility of driving somewhere without cell phone coverage.

Again, assuming the story is true, the idiocy lies more at Tesla than by the customer. The customer just bought into the "use your phone instead of a dedicated key" convenience story sold by Tesla without checking how it actually works. Then again, I don't know how detailed the customer information given by Tesla on that subject is.

Reactions: JCE
It seems like a case of "Office for the overcomplications of simple things".

In a matter of a couple of decade, when keyless cars will be the norm, I'm sure someone will "invent" the "Materic Unlocking Device"

The "Materic Unlocking Device"
-will allow you to access and start your car everywhere, at all times, with no internet connection whatsoever,
-will ensure that only the person holding the physical device will be able to get in the car and
-will keep the car on or off at the complete will of the user
-will withstand shocks, heat, freezing cold, damp weather,
-will be waterproof and light to carry
-will require no batteries (or batteries lasting years in the most fany versions)
-will be usable as a bottle opener and stress reliever to play with when you will be bored

The Materic Unlocking Device Pack is available as an option for 200?.